• Other

Votes: 10 10.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know Nole has 0.1% chance of reaching 17GS.. but in the count of greatest in each decade.. i think Djokovic has a big chance of being the best in this one.. atleast 3 more slams.. would give him 9GS wins from 2010s+

Even tho Nadull got 8 GS in this decade.. i think he is done winning slams..

·
Ace Loveforty
83,393 Posts
Tomic will have 12 come 2020

·
Rankings Master
15,649 Posts
Would be useful to point the winners of most Slams (Pro/Grand) per decade (since 1920, as it's not really relevant before that, tennis was not majorly international yet):

1920s: Bill Tilden (9)
1930s: Fred Perry (8)
1940s: Jack Kramer (5)
1950s: Pancho Gonzales (11)
1960s: Rod Laver (19)
1970s: Bjorn Borg (8)
1980s: Ivan Lendl (7); Mats Wilander (7)
1990s: Pete Sampras (12)
2000s: Roger Federer (15)
2010s: Rafael Nadal (8); Novak Djokovic (6)

·
Registered
82 Posts
No. Either It's Rafael Nadal alone or either they're equal due to Novak impressive consistency in slams and victories at WTF. Still It's not Djokovic, but he could earn that place in the near future.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
how so yet? he's still a few slams behind Nadal in this decade alone

decade isn't even half over, bit early to be talking up this sort of thing

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Even tho Nadull got 8 GS in this decade.. i think he is done winning slams..
Love to hear this tune from haters :drool:

Banking on someone who is merely 11 month older and who by far has exhibited more drive/determination for the game to be so done before their guy :lol:

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
Not really..Nadal have more Slams at the moment and that's what counts.

I'll tell you 5 years from now who's the greatest in this decade.

·
Super Moderator
62,003 Posts
This is the first decade in a very long time where the frontrunners didn't start in it. Laver won his 1st in the 60s, Borg his 1st in the 70s, Lendl and Wilander both their 1st in the 80s, Sampras his 1st in the 90s and Federer his 1st in the 00s. But neither Nadal or Djokovic started off in the 10s. Difficult to see anyone catching them, though.

·
Banned
355 Posts
This is the first decade in a very long time where the frontrunners didn't start in it. Laver won his 1st in the 60s, Borg his 1st in the 70s, Lendl and Wilander both their 1st in the 80s, Sampras his 1st in the 90s and Federer his 1st in the 00s. But neither Nadal or Djokovic started off in the 10s. Difficult to see anyone catching them, though.
BUT This decade is different too, you have one guy who is leading and who is the first one in history to win 6+ slams in two different decades, and the uncommon thing is that he is not only achieving it but improving his results in the present decade with 2 slams and 4 finals more.

Djokovic isnt that behind, but he also wasnt a big factor in 00's, He not only achieved less than Fedal but also less than other players like Agassi, Sampras, Hewitt, Safin, Kuerten, Roddick and Ferrero.

He would be ranked 10, compared to the far second spot of rafa in the 00's. I guess the haters have no reason to claim why rafa despite declining (in grass and clay) is still able to keep winning.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
I'm surprised so many people are saying it's too early to tell. We are just under half way through the decade. Clearly Djokovic/Nadal are going to continue winning for several more years. Do you really think one of the younger players will end up winning more slams than those guys in this decade? I highly doubt it.

·
6,250 Posts
At this stage it is a 2 horse race, as any others would have too much ground to make up of 6 and 8 Slams respectively for Djoker and Nadal, unless someone comes from nowhere with another Federer-like performance of the mid 00s. (no sign of anyone doing that yet).
If Djoker can nail this year's USO then he could well go on another tear and take the 2010's out, and possibly even a couple of RGs to the resume as well- as Nadal fans can't rely on the French being a lock each and every year for the next few years.
If he falls short there, and Nadal takes it then probably not - as he is a confidence player, and Nadal will be take on a substantial lead.
It all hinges on this years USO, and as he is 45-2 on hard courts since the last USO, including the IW-Miami double (which also included the clinical dismantling of Nadal in Miami),he should be primed to do it.
Djoker should also outlast Nadal in career longevity, so if he can get couple of consolation Majors late in his career, a la Andre Agassi, that could close the gap as well.

·
Banned
355 Posts
I'm surprised so many people are saying it's too early to tell. We are just under half way through the decade. Clearly Djokovic/Nadal are going to continue winning for several more years. Do you really think one of the younger players will end up winning more slams than those guys in this decade? I highly doubt it.
I think Rafole domination is assured at least until the fade of 2016 seasson, if nothing extraordinary happens. 20017 is a little too far away to give a wild guess, but circa 2018 is the only year that I see the young guns coming closer to dominate, so they will virtually have 2 years to dominate and it could be distributed between a few players. I hardly doubt someone will come close to Rafole this decade. by the time the young guns are around 25-26 years old they can explode, and maybe they do it earlier, as its the trend in the last years, players finding their peak in late 20's and even early 30's..

1 - 20 of 88 Posts