Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Djokovic: "Gael is Gael. He loves jumping around. I'd pay a ticket to watch him play"

Q. I know you said it was fun out there. I’m just wondering if any of the spectacle from the things that Monfils was doing was distracting at all or if the crowd was distracting you at all?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: No, I don't think ... the crowd was good. It was very nice to see that for the first match we already had almost full stadium. And I think, you know, the interest of the crowd, the attention of the crowd was there.

Gaël is Gaël. That’s what he does. He loves jumping around, sliding, he’s very unpredictable. You don’t know what his next move is, so that’s why he’s so interesting.

I said before that he’s probably the only guy in the world, tennis player, that I would pay a ticket to watch the match. He’s really fun to watch but not so much fun to play against.

full interview: http://www.ubitennis.com/english/2014/08/07/atp-toronto-novak-djokovic-gael-gael-loves-jumping-around-sliding-hes-unpredictable/

·
Registered
27,181 Posts
Re: Djokovic: "Gael is Gael. He loves jumping around. I'd pay a ticket to watch him p

If I want to pay to see a clown I'll frequent a circus instead.

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
Re: Djokovic: "Gael is Gael. He loves jumping around. I'd pay a ticket to watch him p

Well, he's right.

Djokovic likes clowns. So of course he would pay for a ticket to watch a clown playing.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts

Omg guys he has an exuberant and entertaining playing style, lets rip him apart!

You know what tennis really needs? More players like Marin Cilic, or Victor Troiki, or Vasek Pospisil, or Jeremy Chardy, or Lukas Rosol, or Ivan Dodig, or ANY of the numerous boring, interchangeable, carbon copy, tennis players we currently have.

Deride the entertaining and the polarizing and the excitement generating! Great idea!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts

Whenever I watch Monfils I think to myself, I'd much rather be watching a five set epic between Rosol and Troicki.

None of this unpredictability.

I want meat and potatoes.

I want five consecutive hours of 3-5 shot baseline rallies that are indistinguishable from one set to another.

None of these GLORY BOYS hogging the LIMELIGHT, showing the game no RESPECT. FUCK YEA!

·
Registered
5,394 Posts

Omg guys he has an exuberant and entertaining playing style, lets rip him apart!

You know what tennis really needs? More players like Marin Cilic, or Victor Troiki, or Vasek Pospisil, or Jeremy Chardy, or Lukas Rosol, or Ivan Dodig, or ANY of the numerous boring, interchangeable, carbon copy, tennis players we currently have.

Deride the entertaining and the polarizing and the excitement generating! Great idea!

+1

·
Registered
7,794 Posts

That match against Djokovic was an aberration. He's been incredibly dull to watch the past year. Standing so far back behind the baseline and just pushing it mindlessly.

It's a bit misleading to call him entertaining when he shows up for a couple matches a year, and the rest are unwatchable.

·
Premium Member
21,076 Posts

Well, Monfils is also derided because he could actually win something and still be entertaining, and not just a funny loser. But yea, good comment otherwise. :)

·
Registered
2,965 Posts

of course he likes him because these clowns always let him proceed to the next round

·
Registered
6,148 Posts

it appears the nextgen of tennis find themselves someone to look up to

Nicholas Kyrgios @NickKyrgios · 13h

@Gael_Monfils - just watched the complete highlights of your match. Best entertainer in the world. #idol

·
Registered
2,219 Posts

So Monfils is the only tennis player Djokovic would pay to see? Really?

·
Registered
12,644 Posts

Whenever I watch Monfils I think to myself, I'd much rather be watching a five set epic between Rosol and Troicki.

None of this unpredictability.

I want meat and potatoes.

I want five consecutive hours of 3-5 shot baseline rallies that are indistinguishable from one set to another.

None of these GLORY BOYS hogging the LIMELIGHT, showing the game no RESPECT. FUCK YEA!
Where have you been?

I don't mind Gael clowning around but it was just too much yesterday. He wasted time and pretended it was funny. It was NOT.

Novak is BS here, saying shit everyone wants to hear.

Sexy Lips, who I dearly love, tried something similar at Wimbledon.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts

Exuberant style? He is brainless, that`s all.

Also, he can`t defeat a top player

·
Registered
57,598 Posts

These two are not boring

·
Registered
6,825 Posts

These two are not boring
Yeah he could choose any of the numerous claybots like the Granollers of the world, instead he chooses Rosol or Pospisil which are ok to watch.

·
Registered
387 Posts

He's OK to watch. What makes it a bit boring is that whenever he plays one of the top guys you already know the outcome beforehand.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts

Exuberant style? He is brainless, that`s all.

Also, he can`t defeat a top player
Andy Roddick: 5–3
Marat Safin: 4–0
Radek Štěpánek: 4–3
Janko Tipsarević: 4–2
David Nalbandian: 3–1
Richard Gasquet: 3–3
Ivan Ljubičić: 3–4
David Ferrer: 3–1
Stanislas Wawrinka: 2–1
James Blake: 2–2
Nikolay Davydenko: 2–2
Lleyton Hewitt: 2–2
Rafael Nadal: 2–9
Tommy Robredo: 1–2
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga: 1–3
Andy Murray: 2–3
Roger Federer: 2–6
Novak Djokovic: 0–10

You are correct, there is technically a top player he has never beaten.

Is he good against top players? Not too bad really, outside of Rafa and Roger. Can he beat them? Sure seems like it as long as their name doesn't rhyme with Lovak Mokovic.

BTW I highlighted for you the most important records, and therefore the weakest part of my argument. You should probably use those when you go back and qualify/alter your previous statements to say I'm wrong.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts