Mens Tennis Forums banner

Which is/will be the most legendary rivalry?

• Djokovic & Nadal

Votes: 33 35.5%
  • Djokovic & Federer

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • Federer & Nadal

Votes: 45 48.4%
  • Federer & Murray

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Nadal & Murray

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Djokovic & Murray

Votes: 2 2.2%
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
14,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Voo De Mar's blog (Mr. Statsman and true tennis connoisseur :worship: ), he provides really interesting stats! :)
In my opinion Nole-Rafa will be the most legendary rivalry ever... the quantity and quality of matches, the rate by which they meet in finals and semifinals of big tournaments, good match-up, epic duels, same age, etc. This will be bigger than any other rivalry we know. Discuss. :)

Stats: Djokovic, Federer, Murray & Nadal – legendary rivalries
Posted on September 11, 2011 by Voo de Mar

This year’s US Open semi-finals were consisted of players who make historical “head to heads” in majors, not only in the current era, but in the entire Open era as well. The Djokovic-Federer pair becomes the first one in the Open era to play five consecutive years in the same tournament (!), they have also tied the McEnroe-Connors pair in number of major semifinals – seven (four in New York, two in Melbourne, one in Paris). The Nadal-Murray pair has created just one out of 17 combinations to participate at each Grand Slam event… Djokovic and Federer never met at Wimbledon, despite their high frequency of meetings. Both this year’s US Open semi-final pairs, have played three consecutive matches at all slams, only five other pairs achieved such a feat! Obviously the Federer-Nadal pair is a special one too, because they met five times in one slam (Roland Garros); Djokovic and Nadal played 28 matches against each other which places them behind only five ‘bigger’ H2H confrontations. On this background a H2H of Djokovic & Murray looks modestly, but Federer is 5-6 years older than the rest of the group, so very likely Djokovic and Murray will be playing more often against each other in the future when Federer finishes his career. Another interesting fact about amazing supremacy and consistency of these four guys – each of them has reached semifinals of all Grand Slam events within a year, in almost 40 years of the Open era prior to their activity at the top, only three players had managed to do the same thing!

# Top 4 in the years 2008-2011:

2008: 1 – Nadal, 2 – Federer, 3 – Djokovic, 4 – Murray
2009: 1 – Federer, 2 – Nadal, 3 – Djokovic, 4 – Murray
2010: 1 – Nadal, 2 – Federer, 3 – Djokovic, 4 – Murray
2011: 1 – Djokovic, 2 – Nadal, 3 – Federer, 4 – Murray

# Top 4 seeded players in semi-finals at the US Open:

1969: 1 – Laver, 2 – Newcombe, 3 – Roche, 4 – Ashe
1982: 1 – J.McEnroe, 2 – Connors, 3 – Lendl, 4 – Vilas
1985: 1 – J.McEnroe, 2 – Lendl, 3 – Wilander, 4 – Connors
1992: 1 – Courier, 2 – Edberg, 3 – Sampras, 4 – Chang
2011: 1 – Djokovic, 2 – Nadal, 3 – Federer, 4 – Murray

# Players to reach all Grand Slam semi-finals within a year:

1969: Rod Laver & Tony Roche
1987: Ivan Lendl
2005-09: Roger Federer
2008: Rafael Nadal
2011: Novak Djokovic & Andy Murray

# Biggest “Head to Heads”:

36 – Ivan Lendl vs. John McEnroe (21-15)
35 – Boris Becker vs. Stefan Edberg (25-10)
35 – Ivan Lendl vs. Jimmy Connors (22-13)
34 – John McEnroe vs. Jimmy Connors (20-14)
34 – Pete Sampras vs. Andre Agassi (20-14)
28 – Rafael Nadal vs. Novak Djokovic (16-12)

# Most matches at majors:

10 – Ivan Lendl vs. John McEnroe (7-3)
9 – John McEnroe vs. Jimmy Connors (6-3)
9 – Ivan Lendl vs. Mats Wilander (5-4)
9 – Stefan Edberg vs. Ivan Lendl (5-4)
9 – Pete Sampras vs. Andre Agassi (6-3)
9 – Rafael Nadal vs. Roger Federer (7-2)
9 – Roger Federer vs. Novak Djokovic (5-4)
8 – Roger Federer vs. Lleyton Hewitt (8-0)
8 – Roger Federer vs. Andy Roddick (8-0)
8 – Pete Sampras vs. Jim Courier (6-2)
8 – Bjorn Borg vs. Jimmy Connors (5-3)
8 – Rafael Nadal vs. Andy Murray (6-2)

# Most matches at one major (5):

US Open (1980-87): Ivan Lendl vs. John McEnroe (3-2)
US Open (1982-92): Ivan Lendl vs. Jimmy Connors (3-2)
Roland Garros (2005-11): Rafael Nadal vs. Roger Federer (5-0)
US Open (2007-11): Roger Federer vs. Novak Djokovic (3-2)

# Most consecutive matches at one major:

5 – US Open (2007-11): Roger Federer vs. Novak Djokovic
4 – Roland Garros (1988-91): Jim Courier vs. Andre Agassi
4 – Roland Garros (2005-08): Rafael Nadal vs. Roger Federer

# Three consecutive matches at all slams:

(US Open 1983 – Roland Garros 1984) I.Lendl vs. M.Wilander
(Roland Garros – US Open 1984) J.McEnroe vs. J.Connors
(Roland Garros – US Open 2003) P.Srichaphan vs. D.Hrbaty
(Wimbledon 2005 – Australian Open 2006) R.Federer vs. N.Kiefer
(Roland Garros – US Open 2008) J.Chardy vs. F.Gil
(US Open 2010 – Roland Garros 2011) N.Djokovic vs. R.Federer
(Roland Garros 2011 – US Open 2011) R.Nadal vs. A.Murray

# Pairs of players who have faced each other at all four majors:

(1985-1987) H.Leconte vs. A.Mansdorf
(1980-1989) J.McEnroe vs. I.Lendl
(1983-1989) J.McEnroe vs. M.Wilander
(1991-1993) S.Edberg vs. J.Courier
(1991-1994) P.Sampras vs. J.Courier
(1989-1995) P.Sampras vs. M.Chang
(1990-1995) P.Sampras vs. A.Agassi
(1992-1996) P.Sampras vs. T.Martin
(1994-2000) P.Sampras vs. M.Tillstrom
(1995-2000) P.Sampras vs. M.Philippoussis
(2004-2006) R.Federer vs. N.Kiefer
(2002-2006) M.Safin vs. O.Rochus
(2005-2007) D.Tursunov vs. T.Henman
(2001-2009) A.Roddick vs. L.Hewitt
(2007-2009) R.Federer vs. JM.Del Potro
(2007-2011) R.Nadal vs. A.Murray
(2003-2011) R.Federer vs. D.Nalbandian

·
Registered
14,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is no big 4.
If you look closely at the stats and H2H, there is a Big 4. :)
You have also to analize the potential of this rivalries growing in the future.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
the stats were definitely interesting but as far as the question is concerned, the only 'rivalry' (if that's what it would even be called) between these guys that is at all talked about or 'big' in the tennis world is Nadal vs. Federer

·
Banned
34,908 Posts
Top 4, big 4, the terminology is irrelevant. The stats and H2H's tell me one guy cannot win against the other members of the so-called big 4 when it matters most, has a bad record in slams against the other members of the so-called big 4, and has no self-esteem. Rafa, even in defeat, has been able to challenge Djokovic in their matches, but the other player in question quite often has been destroyed without fight. Constantly losing in straight doesn't qualify as being a rivalry.

·
29,645 Posts
Top 4, big 4, the terminology is irrelevant. The stats and H2H's tell me one guy cannot win against the other members of the so-called big 4 when it matters most, has a bad record in slams against the other members of the so-called big 4, and has no self-esteem. Rafa, even in defeat, has been able to challenge Djokovic in their matches, but the other player in question quite often has been destroyed without fight.
I really wish Istomin and Dodig would get to 5 and 6 and then we can start calling it a big 6.

·
Banned
34,908 Posts
Oh, and this isn't directed at you, OP, my dear. It's directed at the thought behind their being a top 4. It's false, and quite frankly disrespectful to the other three members that a player not on their level is continuously included in the discussion when they keep failing against these same 3 players in the big moments.

·
Banned
34,908 Posts
I really wish Istomin and Dodig would get to 5 and 6 and then we can start calling it a big 6.
I don't hate Dodig, which I've said at least 20 times. The other player you mentioned is trash and will never touch the top 10, thank tennis Jesus.

To answer the thread question, Nole v Nadal has by far the most intense matches, high drama, high physicality, and great defense-offense ability from both. So that would be my answer.

·
Registered
14,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe the question of the thread is wrong, since obviously Nadal-Federer is the most legendary. The right question would be "Which rivalry has the potential to become the most legendary?" taking into account match up, h2h, quality and quantity of encounters, etc. For example, legendary as Fedal is, their match up is too inclined in favour of Rafa. :shrug:

·
Your visions will happen
50,043 Posts
Clearly Fedal.

It is impossible to predict what will happen in the future with regards to injuries, motivation, retiring, etc.

Oh, and there is no Big 4.

It is a Big 3.5

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
So far it's of course Federer vs. Nadal, but Nadal vs. Djokovic could come close if both stay healthy and Nadal can figure out the "new" Djokovic (something he obviously hasn't managed yet)

·
Banned
34,908 Posts
Yeah, I was thinking of current times, and current times I would say Nole-Rafa, but overall it's Rafa-Fed by a very wide margin, because Nole hasn't had the same longevity of dominance Fed had, and they haven't played in the same amount of big matches in slams.

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
The only rivalry that is Close is Djokovic Nadal....it's 16-13....Nadal Federer is not a rivalry it is owning

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
1.Federer vs Nadal
2.Federer vs Djokovic
3.Nadal vs Djokovic

Djokovic-Nadal had 1 classic match on best of 3 and that is it. Federer vs Nadal had classics in Rome, Australia, Wimbledon in 5 sets. Federer vs Djokovic have 3 classics in best of 5, 2 in Usopen and 1 in RG.

Murray has barely even been part of a classic, his match against Nadal in Master cup last year was a classic 3 set match and maybe his match against Federer in master cup 2008 also should count, but that wasnt even a match worth anything.

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,447 Posts
Gotta love the fools saying there is no Big 4. These 4 players have been the top 4 for the past 3 years, soon to be 4 years.

Murray is in the Big 4. You know why?? He is consistently far better than players below him and can compete with the players above him. Also, I don't understand why people are keeping Federer in the "Big 3" when Murray has done better than him this season. It makes no sense. I'm sure when Murray leapfrogs Federer in the rankings, it'll be the Big 2. But as long as Federer is above him, it's the Big 3 :rolleyes: Also, I'm guessing it was the Big 1 when Murray was ahead of Djokovic and Nadal? I can't help but laugh at these ridiculous "No Big 4" posts :stupid:

As for the thread, when it comes to quality, Murray/Federer have the best matches. Another ridiculous thing here is how all of Murray's h2h's here have only 1 vote each. The hate for him here is ridiculous :stupid:

·
Registered
9,432 Posts
None of them. There are no rivalries.
This. Love the way Nadulltards are trying to hype Djoker-Nadull as a "rivalry". Guys? Djoker owns his arse. Federer-Hewitt wasn't a "rivalry" after U.S.O. 2004.

·
Banned
6,118 Posts
Gotta love the fools saying there is no Big 4. These 4 players have been the top 4 for the past 3 years, soon to be 4 years.

Murray is in the Big 4. You know why?? He is consistently far better than players below him and can compete with the players above him. Also, I don't understand why people are keeping Federer in the "Big 3" when Murray has done better than him this season. It makes no sense. I'm sure when Murray leapfrogs Federer in the rankings, it'll be the Big 2. But as long as Federer is above him, it's the Big 3 :rolleyes: Also, I'm guessing it was the Big 1 when Murray was ahead of Djokovic and Nadal? I can't help but laugh at these ridiculous "No Big 4" posts :stupid:

As for the thread, when it comes to quality, Murray/Federer have the best matches. Another ridiculous thing here is how all of Murray's h2h's here have only 1 vote each. The hate for him here is ridiculous :stupid:

You are biased.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts