Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
At least he is smart enough to create achievements this way, because he will not surprass both Nadal and Federer in slams.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Amazing achievement, I thought back in the beginning of 2015 no one will get close to federers 302 weeks at no.1 any time soon but novak is determined to surpass federer in this department.

Reactions: DarkoAqua

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Poor Sampras, when he retired he must have thought that he'd keep the slam, Wimbledon and weeks at number 1 records for decades to come, not have all of them beaten and by multiple guys in some cases.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Fantastic achievement.. Speaks volumes about his career in terms of consistently staying as top player of the world.

·
Your visions will happen
51,332 Posts
Really need to delve into the history and find the true record. Probably Tilden or Gonzales or Laver have the real record, prob like 350 or something

As time goes on, we find Sampras in the end to be overrated, at least statistically. Can't put him any higher than #8 all time

·
Registered
8,092 Posts
Great. It was a record for long 13 years and Federer beat it only in 2012. Now 24 more weeks to the benchmark set by the Swiss. It's not far away timewise (end of February) but there's still a lot of work to do (RG, WTF and AO in the meantime). Unfortunately Djoko's default made the quest more difficult as Thiem and Nadal are also in play for #1 in the near future.

Reactions: Johnny Groove

·
justice for all
18,013 Posts
Well done to Novak.
But all weeks counted from now on will be somewhat asterisked until the ranking system gets back to normal.

·
Registered
8,092 Posts
Well done to Novak.
But all weeks counted from now on will be somewhat asterisked anyway until the ranking system gets back to normal.
He lost 5 months due to ranking freeze. Surely he could've added more weeks in the meantime, right? Again, don't be silly.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
He lost 5 months due to ranking freeze. Surely he could've added more weeks in the meantime, right? Again, don't be silly.
THİS
40-15rer's n1 weeks record also asterisked now due to 5 month ranking freeze.

·
justice for all
18,013 Posts
Yeah, especially not playing Wimbledon and Madrid (where he defended 3000 without even hitting one ball) and cancelling big portion of the clay season (where Nadal and Thiem could gain a lot) damaged him big time.

·
Registered
8,092 Posts
Yeah, especially not playing Wimbledon and Madrid (where he defended 3000 without even hitting one ball) and cancelling big portion of the clay season (where Nadal and Thiem could gain a lot) damaged him big time.
And zero points at Sunshine Double while Nadal had a lot of points to defend on clay. You are as objective as ever. Besides I didn't say that he would be #1 all the time but that would add weeks to his resume. Now go ahead and calculate your own 52 week ranking. Hint: Djokovic is #1. Stop this asterisk bullshit.

·
justice for all
18,013 Posts
And zero points at Sunshine Double while Nadal had a lot of points to defend on clay. You are as objective as ever. Besides I didn't say that he would be #1 all the time but that would add weeks to his resume. Now go ahead and calculate your own 52 week ranking. Hint: Djokovic is #1. Stop this asterisk bullshit.
Nadal lost early (for his lofty standards) in Monte Carlo, Barcelona and Madrid (the three events that weren't played in 2020. The two big events that will be played this year are RG and Rome - in both Nadal won last year - so he has nothing to gain. As for the Sunshine Double Djokovic did poorly in it the last three years (2017, 2018, 2019) - I can see no reason for much better results this year. And Wimbledon to top it all - Djoker has 2000 in the bag (lucky win vs Fed) while Domi lost first round vs goating Querrey and could gain a lot.
This hiatus was a blessing in disguise for your beloved idol - he had the time to recharge his batteries which may help him to postpone the inevitable - the younger generation taking over. See, I just state the facts as they are - but you refuse to acknowledge them. Your choice. You are not more objective than your bros from Nolefam, mate.

·
Registered
8,092 Posts
Nadal lost early (for his lofty standards) in Monte Carlo, Barcelona and Madrid (the three events that weren't played in 2020. The two big events that will be played this year are RG and Rome - in both Nadal won last year - so he has nothing to gain. As for the Sunshine Double Djokovic did poorly in it the last three years (2017, 2018, 2019) - I can see no reason for much better results this year. And Wimbledon to top it all - Djoker has 2000 in the bag (lucky win vs Fed) while Domi lost first round vs goating Querrey and could gain a lot.
This hiatus was a blessing in disguise for your beloved idol - he had the time to recharge his batteries which may help him to postpone the inevitable - the younger generation taking over. See, I just state the facts as they are - but you refuse to acknowledge them. Your choice. You are not more objective than your bros from Nolefam, mate.
We can't be sure what would have happened in the period and whom it helped. It's likely that both Djokovic and Nadal would have been #1 for some time. The reality is that no tennis was played and we can't do anything about it. You regret that Thiem didn't improve his grass results while I regret that Djoko lost a big chance to win Wimby (you can't deny it). But we have to accept the reality.

However, it's not the point of the discussion. You had beef with the ranking system and that's why I replied. I pointed out that even in 52-week ranking Djoko would be #1. You didn't even reply to my argument. Both 52-week and "asterisked" (lol) rankings have Djokovic as #1. So what's your problem with the ranking system now ? (regarding Djokovic position)

Reactions: sav001 and ivanban

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
I don’t normally interfere between 2 posters but Supercell is one of the most objective of Any fanbase on MTF & i’ve never read any disparaging remarks from him about any rival but U r easily one of the biggest “idol worshippers” on here & cling to Thiem when your “beloved” is on the shelf while this topic involves Novak & Sampras & not your SA former no.1.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts