Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Federer, Nadal and Murray each have at least one 'signature shot' - a great shot that immediately comes to mind when you think of that player.

Federer: inside-in forehand, backhand flick pass
Nadal: banana forehand DTL, running passing shots
Murray: topspin lob, CC forehand pass

When I think of Djokovic, I picture him sliding out wide on the backhand side to hit a deep rally ball, which isn't a very inspiring shot.

What do you think? Does Djokovic have a signature shot?

Inb4 backhand DTL. It's not a signature shot if you only hit it twice a year.
Inb4 dobar

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Besides Nishikori who else in the world can regularly hit the short-angle CC backhand like Djokovic?

And inb4 gif of his smashes.

·
Registered
11,291 Posts
Federer, Nadal and Murray each have at least one 'signature shot' - a great shot that immediately comes to mind when you think of that player.

Federer: inside-in forehand, backhand flick pass
Nadal: forehand DTL, running passing shots
Murray: lob, CC forehand pass

When I think of Djokovic, I picture him sliding out wide on the backhand side to hit a deep rally ball, which isn't a very inspiring shot.

What do you think? Does Djokovic have a signature shot?

Inb4 backhand DTL. It's not a signature shot if you only hit it twice a year.
Inb4 dobar
Inb4 smash

·
Registered
19,323 Posts
You think backhand "flick" pass is a signature shot but hitting a tough backhand when sliding for a ball "isn't a very inspiring shot"

Tardism at its very finest

Reactions: rinnegan

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
If we're counting Murray's lobs as a signature shot, might as well count Djokovic's defensive BHs on the full stretch, which invariably seem to land on the opponent's baseline.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Tennis shot definitely no, but he have such a beautiful split, best in business imo. Must be his signature thing!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
none as he isnt a legend like the other 3 mentioned above... just a boring pusher.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You think backhand "flick" pass is a signature shot but hitting a tough backhand when sliding for a ball "isn't a very inspiring shot"

Tardism at its very finest
I find a winner to be more inspiring :shrug:

Oh, and the Federer backhand flick is like a handful of times a year as well.
He doesn't get many opportunities to hit it since he's often at net before his opponents, particularly nowadays. But in years gone by and especially on the quicker courts, he would hit it quite frequently.

If we're counting Murray's lobs as a signature shot, might as well count Djokovic's defensive BHs on the full stretch, which invariably seem to land on the opponent's baseline.
True. Perhaps I should have specified topspin/offensive lob.

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
I find a winner to be more inspiring :shrug:

He doesn't get many opportunities to hit it since he's often at net before his opponents, particularly nowadays. But in years gone by and especially on the quicker courts, he would hit it quite frequently.

True. Perhaps I should have specified topspin/offensive lob.
The lob is by definition a reactive defensive shot, as are passing shots. Since when does Murray lob offensively? He lobs as a last ditch resort on defense, granted with a lot of success.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
Sliding on HC

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
The defensive sliding backhand, especially when used as a cross court passing shot when the opponent comes to the net. Not only is it a good signature shot, but also unique in that I've never seen another player hit that shot quite like Djokovic.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The lob is by definition a reactive defensive shot, as are passing shots. Since when does Murray lob offensively? He lobs as a last ditch resort on defense, granted with a lot of success.
Topspin lobs not defensive shots. They may be hit from a defensive position, but they aren't defensive shots. (Same with passing shots). By applying topspin to the lob, it travels further through the court, and will either be a winning shot or at the very least put the opponent in a defensive position.

Granted, a defensive lob (the kind that Raonic was able to retrieve vs Nadal in IW and hit a 130mph smash off) is not an offensive shot.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
CCBH, CCFH, FHDTL, BHTDL - there, you can pick whichever one you hate on the most :)

1 - 20 of 79 Posts