Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
7,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I gotta say Djoko is a darn smart boy. Congrats.
It was a good fight from Ferrero though.

·
Miss Fabray
55,507 Posts
Nice try Juanqui :hug:

·
#freeviktor
93,879 Posts
Ferrero played well but Novak held on even when his forehand wasn't working as planned.

Well done Novak :rocker2: Hopefully you can pick up your level in the next match :D

·
Registered
10,605 Posts
Djoko's tennis is not superior to other top 20 players. His mental toughness however is unmatched, that's why he keeps winning these close matches (US final choke notwithstanding). I'm glad to notice he's bouncing the ball less, "only" 7 or 8 times.

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
At least JC gave me some hope in second set,it's a pity that he was broken so early in the third set!

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Not so good performance from Nole, why couldn't it be in two straight sets?!
Hope he'll play better tomorrow and I'd like to see Ancic against him.

·
Registered
618 Posts
:worship: Well done, kid! :worship:

When he is on his tennis is superior, when he isn't his mental toughness prevails.

·
Registered
20,932 Posts
Congrats to the Djoker. He was just too good in that last set winning 80% of points behind his own serve. JCF's only chance was in that 6th game when he went 0-15 up and then missed two easy shots after making two good returns.

Other than that it was again a bit disappointing. These two can produce much higher quality than that from the back of the court but neither of them found their range. The biggest difference today was the serve and Djokovic held all of his service games in the 1st and 3rd sets without facing any BPs. Whereas JCF was almost always under pressure.

It will be interesting to see how much these last two matches took out of Djokovic. I think he'll have to win his next match quite quickly before fatigue sets in.

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
Congrats to the Djoker. He was just too good in that last set winning 80% of points behind his own serve. JCF's only chance was in that 6th game when he went 0-15 up and then missed two easy shots after making two good returns.

Other than that it was again a bit disappointing. These two can produce much higher quality than that from the back of the court but neither of them found their range. The biggest difference today was the serve and Djokovic held all of his service games in the 1st and 3rd sets without facing any BPs. Whereas JCF was almost always under pressure.

It will be interesting to see how much these last two matches took out of Djokovic. I think he'll have to win his next match quite quickly before fatigue sets in.
I second what you said.
Nole just dominated his service games (except in the second set), and it's a pity that the final set seemed to have panned out according to his plan. JC could've made it a bit closer had it not been for some easy errors he made.
But it was good to see JC fighting till the end, and his fending off all those BPs in the first game of the second set was a great drama. I wish him better luck in Basel.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Ferrero fought well but Nole was just too solid for him when it really mattered in the final set. I'm not too disappointed though. He did well to get this far and take out Moya en-route.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I'm not used to Novak not serving well. Also, his forehand was flying all over the place, and the movement wasn't anywhere near his best.
Still, managed to push through.
Sign of a great player.
Wish him all the best, but I'm worried fatigue's gonna set in, he played so many matches this season.

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
Juanqui... :sad: - nice try, though. :hug: :hug: :hug:

Deserved congrats to Djoko, the better player (especially his mental toughness, as others have pointed out already) in an otherwise disappointing match.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
:drive: :hatoff: :banana: :worship: :worship:
Keep rolling !!

·
#freeviktor
93,879 Posts
I'm not used to Novak not serving well. Also, his forehand was flying all over the place, and the movement wasn't anywhere near his best.
Still, managed to push through.
Sign of a great player.
Wish him all the best, but I'm worried fatigue's gonna set in, he played so many matches this season.
I agree. He's been coming up with some big serves when he really needs them... but I wish he wouldn't keep getting in positions where he needs them so often.

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
a tons of Fakevic matches are pretty tight but the guy always find a way to win, hopefully he will play ancic, and Mario will not be easy at all with his great serve :)

·
Registered
948 Posts
Novak has great serve, very precise and tricky to handle, when he's on. His usual 1st serve procentage is above 70%, and he wins an average 85% on it.
That's why I'm worried. This is quite unusual bad serving on his part. He seems, I don't know, kinda not that interested.
Hope I'm wrong.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I'm glad to see Mario doing well, shaking off that injury.
Rooting for Novak though, but it will be very hard unless Nole finds some inspiration.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts