Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Novak Djokovic got his Australian Open defence under way in spectacular fashion with a comprehensive straight sets victory against Paolo Lorenzi in the Rod Laver Arena. The Serb settled down after a few shaky games of the first set, producing the sort of tennis that sets an intimidating marker to the rest of the field. The world number one looked in great condition and free of any injury concern he had heading into the tournament.

The Italian qualifier handled the occasion well and even managed to break Djokovic in the opening set's third game. After that and it was all one way, as the two-time champion went about securing his place in the second round in just over 90 minutes. Djokovic's superior quality proved too much for Lorenzi to handle and, despite the Italian's bravery, the defending champion never looked overly flustered as he made quick work of ending the match. Those following the tennis betting will have been impressed.

The 24-year old was pleased with how he had played on his return to Melbourne Park, revealing he felt stronger than when he won the tournament this time last year – a worrying indicator to those who have hopes of taking Djokovic's title away from him. Anyone looking at the Australian Open betting should bear this in mind.

"It's great to be back here in Melbourne where I have the nicest memories of my tennis experience," he said.

"This is the grand slam I've won twice, I always play well here."

"Physically I think I'm stronger, I'm improving things by small margins. It's something that gives me a lot of confidence."

1 - 1 of 1 Posts