Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
He looked fine yesterday.
To be fair yesterday he wasn't pushed physically either. He just doesn't appear to be able to maintain the long points that we have become so accustomed to him winning. As soon as someone pushes him physically he struggles to be effective.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
His disease is - how do I win if someone refuses to fold, do i really really have to attack? But that's not zen tennis then. Man can he pull my nerve.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Yea, but he looked in great form throughout the tournament, he only started to doubt after the break in the 1st set of the final.
Maybe healthwise he wasn´t 100% but I don´t think that was the cause of his defeat

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
To be fair yesterday he wasn't pushed physically either. He just doesn't appear to be able to maintain the long points that we have become so accustomed to him winning. As soon as someone pushes him physically he struggles to be effective.
He looked tactically lost there. That's rare. Like his confidence was completely sucked out of him.
Someone also said something to him from front row and he responded to that person angrily. I wonder if Srdjan said something to him?

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The fact of the matter here is really that the big 3 players have bought in to the hype and invincibility the media portrayed them to be. All these worship they got just made them lose a bit of touch with reality.

With Lost Gen flopping and bending to them, they just simply can’t accept they were outplayed by a young player and have to make up an excuse and make sure to not only tell the rest but to actually repeat this thought many times in their head to convince themselves that they were not 100% and that’s why they lost.

They may be having issues, but every single athlete has some sort of issue here and there, but not big enough to make them unable to play. Everyone could easily nitpick an excuse. It’s a shame really but this what I believe to be the case.

I do also think this particular mindset has helped Federer and Djokovic though, convincing themsleves that if they were 100% they would have won the match is a good way to get motivated.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
This is how Olderer suffered and he did it to Agassi. Everyone has their karma.

Novak has been shortening points knowing he cannot push anymore.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I'll be honest here and say if mono is a legit excuse for Fed then this also a legit excuse for Novak but I don't buy it of course..

·
Registered
242 Posts
It's November, they played around ~80 matches this season, I don't think anyone would say he's 100% fit physically during this tournament. Same with Zverev saying that he's exhausted at the end of a season. But the other thing is to make excuses closely after a match was finished and say that he's so happy with his results considering circumstances. Everyone was sure he will beat Khachanov so was everyone convinced after first four matches he's huge favourite against against Zverev, so I don't get this history rewriting.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts