Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always found curious the way Djokovic celebrated a long rally point against the same opponent, in the same slam final, but in two different years. It tells a lot about a man's confidence.

This is US Open final 2011:

And this is US Open final 2013:

Both against Nadal, both long rallie points. 2011 is probably my favourite point celebration any player had. Boy, did he had fire in his eyes? It's a lot different than 2013 where he looks a bit more shy and relieved. In 2011 he was enraged and looking for "blood". He looked a much more confident man in 2011.

What do you think?

(I know this is asking too much from MTF but it would be lovely not to have a childish "tard" war in this thread)

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
Yes, 2011 he combined his aggression and fire to win together and it was magical, whereas post-2011 the pressure of staying at the top led to more pressure and thus more conservative play and attitude.

·
Premium Member
21,364 Posts
Both against Nadal, both long rallie points. 2011 is probably my favourite point celebration any player had. Boy, did he had fire in his eyes? It's a lot different than 2013 where he looks a bit more shy and relieved. In 2011 he was enraged and looking for "blood". He looked a much more confident man in 2011.

What do you think?

(I know this is asking too much from MTF but it would be lovely not to have a childish "tard" war in this thread)
You're missing the context, that point in 2013 was actually the first break he got in the match, so naturally he was feeling relived that he finally got the break.

·
Registered
7,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You're missing the context, that point in 2013 was actually the first break he got in the match, so naturally he was feeling relived that he finally got the break.
Yes of course that makes sense. But that kind of celebration I could only expect from 2011 Nole. Guy was really in the zone, feeling unbeatable. We don't see that fire in his eyes anymore, not even this season

·
Premium Member
21,364 Posts
Yes of course that makes sense. But that kind of celebration I could only expect from 2011 Nole. Guy was really in the zone, feeling unbeatable. We don't see that fire in his eyes anymore, not even this season
I don't know, many people complained about his on court celebrations, maybe he toned it down deliberately. These days he looks more and more like Federer, PC and diplomatic all around. :lol:

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
these two pts show how great the djokovic-nadal match-up is! u'd never see them in the overrated djokovic-federer match-up

·
Registered
7,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
these two pts show how great the djokovic-nadal match-up is! u'd never see them in the overrated djokovic-federer match-up
I think Djokovic - Nadal is a matchup with too many boring points but with excelent points like this ones in the middle, while Djokovic - Fed is maybe more consistent in terms of quality.
Of course it all depends on players form, for example if Federer is playing badly (Indian wells final for example) the match can be pretty bad in terms of quality.

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
I think Djokovic - Nadal is a matchup with too many boring points but with excelent points like this ones in the middle, while Djokovic - Fed is maybe more consistent in terms of quality.
Of course it all depends on players form, for example if Federer is playing badly (Indian wells final for example) the match can be pretty bad in terms of quality.
what gd pts between fraud and no1e?i dont see it except dramatic pts(djokoking crosscourt FH ROS to save mp)

dramatic =/= gd
and no1e-rafa have many dramatic pts too

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
In 2013 Rafa was clearly being the Agressive one and novak just pushing.. and then he celebrated rafa UE.. no words..

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
That was a great game ... now, the way I see it is that Novak 'toned it down' ... you will not see him ripping off his shirt any more when he wins. I also do believe that there is nothing wrong if you are happy you want to get 'naked' or do whatever :lol:. Hey, as long as you are not hurting anyone, fine with me.

The thing is, that nobody 'expresses their true personality any more. Everyone is trying so hard to be 'politically correct' ... Thank God I have some really good friends ... one of them was pissed off with something this morning and told me 'Alex, bitch go fuck yourself'. Then we started laughing :lol:

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Yes, 2011 he combined his aggression and fire to win together and it was magical, whereas post-2011 the pressure of staying at the top led to more pressure and thus more conservative play and attitude.
Exactly. In 2011 he was ultra-confident. So much so that even I felt confident in his victories just watching him play. It literally felt as if he couldn't lose. I remember even during the USO SF against Federer, down two sets, I still wasn't worried about a loss and Novak ended up coming through in the end.

His level dropped a bit after 2011 and that combined with all of the pressure on him to remain at the top definitely affected him a little. Still managed himself very well though despite all that.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I don't know, many people complained about his on court celebrations, maybe he toned it down deliberately. These days he looks more and more like Federer, PC and diplomatic all around. :lol:
This sounds just about right. In my eyes, though, Novak is slowly turning into a Lendl type of player (conserving his emotions as much as he can, saving lots of energy in the match, performing with efficiency rather than flourish, etc). But, yes, he does behave much more like Fed now...

·
Premium Member
4,982 Posts
It helped that he was up 2 sets to 0 in the first clip as opposed to down a set in the 2nd clip, but I get your point. Novak in 2011 was an animal, and his conference was through the roof. In 2013, Rafa had momentum vs him entering the final with the victory over him in Montreal, but Novak had all the momentum in the world vs Rafa in 2011.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
2011. 2013 he was woeful all match except the second set. The third he was in complete control and literally handed it to Dull. He was hitting all the winners as usual but also made so many UE. His confidence was at an all time low. At 2011 he knew he was too good for Dull.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
Exactly. In 2011 he was ultra-confident. So much so that even I felt confident in his victories just watching him play. It literally felt as if he couldn't lose. I remember even during the USO SF against Federer, down two sets, I still wasn't worried about a loss and Novak ended up coming through in the end.

His level dropped a bit after 2011 and that combined with all of the pressure on him to remain at the top definitely affected him a little. Still managed himself very well though despite all that.
Yeah he has been great since 2011 obviously but getting to the top changed his mentality. It's rare for someone to get to the top and keep the killer mentality that got them there for a long period of time. Fed managed to do it 04-07, which is incredible, but even in 07 he was already dialing back his forehand and playing less aggressive tennis.

·
Registered
169 Posts
In 2013 Rafa was clearly being the Agressive one and novak just pushing.. and then he celebrated rafa UE.. no words..
So that's why Rafa had 25 winners and Nole 40+ and way too many errors...

2013 USO F probably takes the cake for me as Nole's worst match. Complete mental implosion after going up the double break and wasn't even present in the 4th. You can tell he learned a lot from that moment though.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
So that's why Rafa had 25 winners and Nole 40+ and way too many errors...

2013 USO F probably takes the cake for me as Nole's worst match. Complete mental implosion after going up the double break and wasn't even present in the 4th. You can tell he learned a lot from that moment though.
That choke was the result of the FO 2013 choke. He turned into a mental midget for so long afterwards. A woeful time.

·
Registered
169 Posts
That choke was the result of the FO 2013 choke. He turned into a mental midget for so long afterwards. A woeful time.
Without a doubt, combined with an awful Wimbledon final where he led 4-2 in the last two sets. His lowest point tennis/confidence wise since 2010. Now he just brushes bad sets like that off and starts over. Have been very impressed as of late.

·
Banned
858 Posts
What a tennis that was. 2nd and 3d sets in both finals all are in top-10 of the greatest HC sets ever played. :worship:

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
^this is the difference obviously

just look at the points. it has nothing to do with the year

in the first, novak was the one dominating the rally, and he wins the point with a winner. of course hes gonna have a fiercer look and celebration

in the second, rafa was in control, and nole won the point by rafa's UE.

not surprisingly, in both rallies, the person in control was the person serving.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts