Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
I was thinking about the same since afternoon. Djokovic was defaulted by that margin. The difference between between being lucky and being unlucky was that margin. If PCB had missed that shot, Djokovic would have won the set, the match, and be back in his home tonight to recover and recharge his batteries for the quarterfinal.

·
Banned
5,488 Posts
That ball and the Wimbledon 2019 40-15 ball are the most impactful balls in tennis history, perhaps

·
Registered
8,092 Posts
I was thinking about the same since afternoon. Djokovic was defaulted by that margin. The difference between between being lucky and being unlucky was that margin. If PCB had missed that shot, Djokovic would have won the set, the match, and be back in his home tonight to recover and recharge his batteries for the quarterfinal.
Yup, he was close to winning on another set point as well. It was his destiny, it seems.

·
22,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know a lot can claim that this tournament was far from over and Djokovic still had to get through the next gen to win this slam, but let’s be honest, Djokovic has been winning 5 out of the last 7 slams? No non-big 3 winner since 2016, so it was like 90% Djokovic would be winning this title, but this incident just changed everything.. that FHDTL, that lineswoman getting hit. I think it’s huge definitely. This is an even bigger clowning moment than that net touch from Djokovic.

With Federer you can say that 40-15 could cost him in the debate, Nadal that BHDTL miss in AO 2012 or an unfortunate injury in AO 14. Those things are at least tennis related and more common, with Djokovic it’s a net touch or hitting a lineswoman, it’s quite comical actually.. this incidents like don’t happen to other people 😂

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
You actually think this call is more important in the grand scheme than ATP's true intention to undermine Djokovic?
It's not even a match point for fuck's sake

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I know a lot can claim that this tournament was far from over and Djokovic still had to get through the next gen to win this slam, but let’s be honest, Djokovic has been winning 5 out of the last 7 slams? No non-big 3 winner since 2016, so it was like 90% Djokovic would be winning this title, but this incident just changed everything.. that FHDTL, that lineswoman getting hit. I think it’s huge definitely. This is an even bigger clowning moment than that net touch from Djokovic.

With Federer you can say that 40-15 could cost him in the debate, Nadal that BHDTL miss in AO 2012 or an unfortunate injury in AO 14. Those things are at least tennis related and more common, with Djokovic it’s a net touch or hitting a lineswoman, it’s quite comical actually.. this incidents like don’t happen to other people 😂
Even as a Djokovic hater, Honestly, the 40/15 point is probably still more significant because it's a 2 slam swing between Djokovic and Federer, whereas this is only a 1 slam swing. Matches between the big 3 always take on extra importance since not only are you winning an extra slam but you're taking one away from ur rival.

Net touch and AO'12 are also vital moments but those wouldn't have guaranteed victory. 4*-3 AD is far from a guaranteed victory against Nadal on clay, and in AO'12 Nadal would still have needed to win the game from 40-15 and then serve it out. Whereas Federer's loss he was literally 1 point away, if that serve on match point doesn't clip the net and he serves an ace it's 21/16 instead of 20/17.

Just as if PCB's FH was 1mm longer, if Federer's serve was a couple mm higher he would have aced at 40-15. Incredibly fine margins.

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
Not very. Novak Djokovic has far too many years of high-level performance within him. If he was 40, I would say that it would at least be significant, yes.

·
Registered
19,415 Posts
Maybe 1 mm will cost him the slam, just like the fluked FH at the 2011 USO cost Federer the slam, just like the Wimbledon choke cost Federer another slam, just like Haas's choke at RG 2009 gave Federer his only FO slam, just like Nole's net touch most likely cost him the first Roland Garros, just like Roddick's missed volley at Wimbledon 2009 most likely gifted Federer a slam

And so on...

·
Registered
516 Posts
Three things happened with Djokovic yesterday,

1) The 1mm inside FH by PCB saving set point by Djokovic. Frustration no 1 for Nole
2) The shoulder fall causing injury(?) , which caused Frustration no 2.
3) Giving the break to PCB causing frustration no 3 and in turn the lineswoman incident . Thus, getting defaulted.

·
Registered
6,681 Posts
That ball and the Wimbledon 2019 40-15 ball are the most impactful balls in tennis history, perhaps
Please don't bring that up anymore now that I'm back. I'm still heartbroken by it:cry:

·
Registered
70,519 Posts
He never belonged to the same category as Roger and Rafa. They are legends of the game, inspiration for kids, simply the goats. Novak is just a very good player but not a champion, that’s the difference

Reactions: Bakano

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
We won't know until it's all said and done. But that miracle forehand did more likely than not cause Djokovic to lose a Grand Slam, so it's a big deal.

·
Registered
14,054 Posts
I mean Nadal is going to pass Federer in slams anyway within a year, so it could only have a potential impact on Djokovic's ability to catch Rafa. Still don't think Djokovic is retiring until he passes both of them, though, and I have very little doubt he's going to do that based on his current level still.

·
Your visions will happen
51,259 Posts
Plus "The Shot" and the net touch. It all adds up. We will see what's going on in the end but also there is still time. Something crazy might happen in RG 2020 we don't know

Can't look past the flight back to Rome and the next nose swab

·
Banned
5,488 Posts
Plus "The Shot" and the net touch. It all adds up. We will see what's going on in the end but also there is still time. Something crazy might happen in RG 2020 we don't know

Can't look past the flight back to Rome and the next nose swab
By the shot are you referring to 2011 is open semi?

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
Maybe 1 mm will cost him the slam, just like the fluked FH at the 2011 USO cost Federer the slam, just like the Wimbledon choke cost Federer another slam, just like Haas's choke at RG 2009 gave Federer his only FO slam, just like Nole's net touch most likely cost him the first Roland Garros, just like Roddick's missed volley at Wimbledon 2009 most likely gifted Federer a slam

And so on...
Similar 1 mm forehand miss (on the second set point) cost 20 y.o. Djokovic the second set in USO'07 final, after squandering 5-6 set points in the first set being 40:0 up.

Hawk-eye at 1:29:23

·
Your visions will happen
51,259 Posts
Similar 1 mm forehand miss (on the second set point) cost 20 y.o. point Djokovic the second set in USO'07 final, after squandering 5-6 set points in the first set being 40:0 up.

That was already karma for the Canada 07 F which went exactly the same the other way in the first set, so that debt was already settled

By the shot are you referring to 2011 is open semi?
Of course

·
Registered
21,648 Posts
Similar 1 mm forehand miss (on the second set point) cost 20 y.o. Djokovic the second set in USO'07 final, after squandering 5-6 set points in the first set being 40:0 up.

Hawk-eye at 1:29:23

Now it all adds up, this "Darth Fed saving set points like a madman" had the consequences at USO 2010 + 2011 40*-15 and still losing from those double MPs...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts