Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
10,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of course MTF is filled with some of the top of the line oracles, so we all can forsee that Djokovic is set up for greatness in 2019 and 2020.

Elbowvic is no more, as he has found ways to change his serve to help with the elbow. He has warrior'ed his way past Grassdal and routine'd a pretty strong Del Potro. Not only that but Pepe is long gone and fish is back on the menu. His box is back to the way it should be, as is Djokovic's attitude. He still puts on the LOVE facade post match, but on court, he is roaring and beating his chest and playing that "Spartan" like game he is known for.

Murray, who was his athletic competition looks unlikely to recover his 2016 form. Nadal seemingly runs in cycles, where he plays well for 2 years and then can break down and have a sub par year, barring clay court season. Nadal could have installed bionic knees, but his body is always a ticking time bomb and it would be a miracle if he could keep his 2017-2018 level.

An even bigger Miracle is if (closer to 40) Federer could find some more magic and keep things competitive. But all Fed fans, including myself, must realize that the odds are pretty unlikely for Federer to hope to even go toe to toe with him, over 5 sets. Maybe he could sneak out a Dubai or Halle, but it would take an act of God for Olderer to beat Djokovic in any grand slam.

Next Gen is absent, even with Zvererv being in the top 10. He has proved to basically be a walking bye in slams and doesn't seem to have the same attitude, tenacity and grit that the Big three have shown.

Tsitsipas and Shapovalov are really the only wildcards when it comes to the Next Gen. They are still developing and have the game to be at the top... but are they ready for Djokovic in a best of 5 warrior format?

As a Del Potro fan I'm aware of his limitations physically and he probably needs to get lucky with meeting Djokovic in the early round of slams. He is closer to 30 than yesteryear when he was a spry young 20 year old. If he is fully healthy he can be a challenge to Djokovic, but the odds don't seem to likely.

Wawrinka, Djokovic's Achilles heel, is in questionable form and Stanimal may be gone for good for all we know.

Cilic and Anderson can enter Stanimal mode, but who is to say about there consistency. I won't even talk about Goffin, Dimitrov, Raonic or Nishikori.

Boss, Djokovic and the whole company should be entering a period of bliss and easy slams if everything goes to plan.

So the question is, is there really anything stopping Djokovic from dominating 2019 and 2020? This is his opportunity to pass Nadal and get much closer to Federer and one has to think that he realizes this.

So what do you think? Discuss.

·
Registered
14,493 Posts
Djokovic can't mess up 2019 and 2020.... can he?
He could, but he won't. He has the confidence and the game for it now.

So the question is, is there really anything stopping Djokovic from dominating 2019 and 2020? This is his opportunity to pass Nadal and get much closer to Federer and one has to think that he realizes this.
He has long realized this, and will try to pull it off. Maybe a redlining Thiem will stop him on clay or at USO, other than that I don't see neither the cream of Next Gen improving considerably in the next 18 months nor someone from old guard reaching 2014-16 form (like Wawrinka).
If he really takes it slow, don't overplay it not like in 2nd half 2015-1st half 2016 and will try to peak for the slams which he did this year (although RG was too soon obviously after his surgery) then all that could be done within some limits.
Not winning everything, but 2 years winning at least 2 slams each and possibly Tour Finals in both years.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
I'm not even trying to predict what will happen next year or in 2020. Tennis surprised us repeatedly in recent years. After RG2016 it looked like sky is the limit for Djoker and then he had a big downfall. At that time the future looked bleak for Fedal but afterwards they had a great comeback and won 6 consecutive GS titles. In the spring Novak was struggling and some MTF "experts" wished him a quick retirement and now he's a holder of 2 GS titles. Who would have predicted all these changes? What will happen next? Things are looking very good for Nole but let's see what the future holds. Maybe some player (Thiem? Khachanov? Tsitsipas?) will have his break-through. BTW don't forget about Nadal, he's still very strong even on grass.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Needs to stay healthy(injury free)at first place, don't you think OP?

He is not changing only serve but adding more variety in his game in order to last longer. We'll see.

Also competition is unknown factor in those years.Transition will be in full flow 2019/2020

I don't think I would be unfair if Djokovic would have couple easier years, if any player in this era deserved it (judging by the difficult path he has had over the course of his career), it's him

·
Registered
4,566 Posts
Uncharted teritory.

It is very hard to have consecutive multiple slam seasons after 30th birthday.

Federer did it the last time as 25/26 y.o. Youngerer, Sampras as 23/24 y.o., Nadal never, no.

Djokovic did it relatively recently as 28/29, though, so, he might have a chance to repeat it again.

e.g. 24 y.o. Sampras and 28 y.o. Federer did not make consecutive seasons with two GS finals thereafter, let alone multiple titles.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Just back from some nice hiking in Scotland in which I almost didn't use internet/MTF at all. Glad that the prediction machine on here is still going strong. Let me blend in with some wisdom I picked up at the bottom of a few whiskey bottles in the highlands.

Anything can happen. A lot of tennis to be played in 2019 and it only takes one netcord to go overboard.

But of course the Djoker is king of the pack at the moment. Lets see who will challenge his throne first.

·
Registered
14,073 Posts
Nadal is still the best in the world, obviously

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
The key for Djokovic will definitely be to pace himself and not try to do too much and burnout like in 2016. I actually hope that we see more of what we saw during the USO swing. That is to say, Djokovic starts off at a lower level, maybe semi-tanks a match here and there and then slowly peaks for the slams.

·
10,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The key for Djokovic will definitely be to pace himself and not try to do too much and burnout like in 2016. I actually hope that we see more of what we saw during the USO swing. That is to say, Djokovic starts off at a lower level, maybe semi-tanks a match here and there and then slowly peaks for the slams.
This is what I think. Of course he is hungry and has the carrot on the stick in front of him with Nadal @ #1. It is going to be tempting to try to chase down Federer and Nadal, but he needs to be careful.

On another note, stop being rational Djokovic fans and make educated predictions. All they are predictions, won't go against you as an individual.

Anyway I have a strong sentiment the so called breakthrough of the Next-gen has already happened and they are destined to do well only 1/4th of the time and be inconsistent the rest of the year.

·
The special one
14,022 Posts
Just back from some nice hiking in Scotland in which I almost didn't use internet/MTF at all. Glad that the prediction machine on here is still going strong. Let me blend in with some wisdom I picked up at the bottom of a few whiskey bottles in the highlands.

Anything can happen. A lot of tennis to be played in 2019 and it only takes one netcord to go overboard.

But of course the Djoker is king of the pack at the moment. Lets see who will challenge his throne first.
Woah, woah, woah. First of all you don't invite me to Hawaii. Now that i can forgive. just about, but now to could've very well drove past my front door and not even stopped by for a cuppa. I must say I've never been in so much ruins as i am in right at this moment :crying:

Just joking, hope you had a good time in Gods country :p

On topic, I'll say 2 slams in 2019 and 2020 as long as he.

A) Keeps away from injury
B) Nobody manages to find the keys to the basement the Guru's been locked in the last 5 months.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I do get the feeling he'll dominate next year. He has that killer confidence back at the business end of slams that he obviously didn't at AO and FO and rest of the game is in pretty good shape.

I'd make him favourite for AO and Wimbledon aswell and court speed suits him at Flushing Meadows.

Not sure on French Open though as get the feel Nadal will fully concentrate on that next season and a fit and firing Nadal (e.g. not the 2015 version) is near impossible to beat on that court.

It's sport of course but I'd be surprised if he stays healthy and dosen't win at least 2 slams next season. Still young enough and gone through difficult two years to give him perspective on his career.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
This is what I think. Of course he is hungry and has the carrot on the stick in front of him with Nadal @ #1. It is going to be tempting to try to chase down Federer and Nadal, but he needs to be careful.

On another note, stop being rational Djokovic fans and make educated predictions. All they are predictions, won't go against you as an individual.

Anyway I have a strong sentiment the so called breakthrough of the Next-gen has already happened and they are destined to do well only 1/4th of the time and be inconsistent the rest of the year.
Well if you want a prediction from me I would say another 2 slam season in 2019 seems very possible. If I had to bet on number of slams for Djokovic next year I would probably go with that. Beyond 2019 I have no clue. At that point it becomes too long term of a prediction for me to make any sort of reasonable guess.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Don't underestimate the young generation. End 2013, there was one single U20 player in the top 100 (Vesely at 85) and two additional U21 players (Tomic at 51 and Harrison at 100). Now we have 6 U20, and in total 11 U21 in the top 11. Some of them will likely start winning big titles very soon. Their larger number will not only increase internal competition among the young players, but also distribute the public pressure on more shoulders. Fedalovic will not be able to stop them for long anymore.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I am praying for Fedal to stay as long as possible in the game, just o clean his path from dangerous youngsters that Djokovic has always trouble playing with: Kyrgios, Tsitsipas, Zverev, Chung...

So funny as it seems, Djokovic blessing shouldn't be in Fedal out, but Fedal in.

·
justice for all
13,103 Posts
I think the OP is a classic case of recency bias. It is quite superficial to assume Djokovic will dominate 2019 (let alone 2020) and no-one will challenge him. Many things can happen. Both with Djokovic himself and with the field.

- he can catch an injury
- he can lose motivation again
- he can go for another mental vacation
- he can further decline and lose the edge

- NextGen player(s) may step up
- GenerationUseless player(s) may catch fire for half a season
- Nadal can beat him once or twice ruining his confidence
- Players like Wawrinka, DelPotro, Cilic, Murray can start winning again

Yes, he looks like a safe bet to win a couple of slams next year but it's far from guaranteed he even wins one.

·
Registered
956 Posts
- he can catch an injury
- he can lose motivation again
- he can go for another mental vacation
- he can further decline and lose the edge

- NextGen player(s) may step up
- GenerationUseless player(s) may catch fire for half a season
- Nadal can beat him once or twice ruining his confidence
- Players like Wawrinka, DelPotro, Cilic, Murray can start winning again
- he can catch an injury - agreed and anyone can
- he can lose motivation again - unlikely, he had the French Open eluding him before, now he's got Nadal and Fed in his sights
- he can go for another mental vacation - unlikely given what he endured for 18 months on the tour
- he can further decline and lose the edge - he will decline, he is declining and only fools would think otherwise

- NextGen player(s) may step up - they will eventually, they'll get fitter and stronger and none of the big 3 will cope
- GenerationUseless player(s) may catch fire for half a season - no chance - they're crap and will always be
- Nadal can beat him once or twice ruining his confidence - seems unlikely outside of RG - Djokovic turns into Ultron against Nadal and Federer, they make his blood boil it seems to me
- Players like Wawrinka, DelPotro, Cilic, Murray can start winning again - Wawrinka is old, Delpo has no BH, Cilic is predictably useless in big matches and Murray is a long long way off at the moment

I expect two things to happen from your list. Djokovic will slow down because he's over 30 now and the next gen will become fit enough to start winning in slams.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
he can further decline and lose the edge - he will decline, he is declining and only fools would think otherwise
Call me a fool but I think Novak is better in certain aspects than he's ever been. He's still flexible as ever, still mentally strong. His serve is better than ever. Forehand is stable and lethal. Backhand is stable. Only DTL is is up and down. He's experienced and tactically at his peak IMO. :sport:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts