Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Personally I don't rate the Olympics that high but gold will be nice for Nole to add to the greatest resume of all time especially if he wins the golden calendar slam.

As you can see Nole will also have the most match wins in singles if he wins the title and he's still in the mixed doubles.

If he wins gold in singles and mixed will he be the Olympics GOAT in tennis?

Discuss.

Reactions: DjokoKing

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, Murray will still remain the Olympics GOAT with his 2 singles gold (and silver in Mixed doubles if you want to regard it from overall/cross-disciplined perspective).
I disagree.

In the Olympics all golds are equal.

That is one of the reasons I don't rate Olympics tennis very highly but you have to be consistent.

You can't 'change the rules' to suit tennis.

If you are going to take Olympics tennis seriously you have to treat all golds equally.

Reactions: Truthseeker

·
Premium Member
28,842 Posts
I disagree.

That is one of the reasons I don't rate Olympics tennis very highly but you have to be consistent.

If you are going to take Olympics tennis seriously you have to treat all golds equally.
If Djokovic wins gold at this current event, he will have 1 gold, 1 bronze medal from singles.
Murray will still have 2 gold medals, Nadal 1 gold medal and Federer/Del Potro 1-1 silver medal each (also Massu 1 gold, Agassi 1 gold etc.).
Make a chart about them and you can classify who would place at the top.
It would be still
1. Murray (2 G)
2. Djokovic (1 G, 1 B)
3. Nadal/Massu/Agassi/Kafelnikov etc. (1-1 G)
4. Del Potro (1 S, 1 B)
5. Federer/Fish/Gonzalez/Haas (1 S)

·
Registered
Nadal
1,587 Posts
I disagree.

Murray/Nadal are Olympic Goats two Gold medals each Murray both singles, Nadal single+Doubles. Djokovic is in weak Olympic event right now.

·
Banned
4,231 Posts
No, Murray will still remain the Olympics GOAT with his 2 singles gold (and silver in Mixed doubles if you want to regard it from overall/cross-disciplined perspective).
Djokovic values the gold medal very much, so he needs to get it. It's been the most difficult goal for him to accomplish so far, by far. For Murray it's been probably his easiest conquest. Sampras tried once for OLY gold and lost to Cherkasov from two sets up in Barcelona and never tried again. Pete was all about the Grand Slams. He made no bones about it.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Nope Murray: his two singles golds is the hardest achievement in tennis alongside Laver's CYGS records. Those records will stand for all time. Doubles medals count, but they have no business in singles chat or in reference to a player's singles resume. Doubles medals cannot make you singles GOAT for example. All singles achievements are, of course, valued higher than the doubles equivalent in tennis: that includes Olympic medals too: Fed's singles silver is worth more than Murray's mixed doubles silver for example.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Djokovic values the gold medal very much, so he needs to get it. It's been the most difficult goal for him to accomplish so far, by far. For Murray it's been probably his easiest conquest. Sampras tried once for OLY gold and lost to Cherkasov from two sets up in Barcelona and never tried again. Pete was all about the Grand Slams. He made no bones about it.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If Djokovic wins gold at this current event, he will have 1 gold, 1 bronze medal from singles.
Murray will still have 2 gold medals, Nadal 1 gold medal and Federer/Del Potro 1-1 silver medal each (also Massu 1 gold, Agassi 1 gold etc.).
Make a chart about them and you can classify who would place at the top.
It would be still
1. Murray (2 G)
2. Djokovic (1 G, 1 B)
3. Nadal/Massu/Agassi/Kafelnikov etc. (1-1 G)
4. Del Potro (1 S, 1 B)
5. Federer/Fish/Gonzalez/Haas (1 S)
Read the OP before posting.

I said if he wins singles and mixed.

That's TWO gold medals.

Hello?

Reactions: Truthseeker

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Both Murray and Nadal are currently more successful, number of victories without the prize is really nothing but a number, that, I'm certain, neither Novak nor anyone cares about.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Many people with double standards here.

Either Olympic golds are all equal or they mean nothing.

Don't be hypocrites.

·
Banned
4,231 Posts
That 1R loss to Delpo was incredible, he and Delpo both played superhuman tennis. Delpo won a 76 76 war of attrition. Both players cried on court after the match. I never saw both players cry on the court after a match. Incredible tennis moment. It will be interesting to see Djokovic's emotional reaction if he wins in Tokyo. If he breaks down emotionally, it could gain him a ton of new fans who will understand and appreciate his Olympic suffering and perseverance.

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
certainly GOAT at getting the schedule changed halfway through the tournament. players already knocked out need to sue, athletes in other sports are continuing in the heat. Another asterisk for the serbian scavenger.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
As far as tennis has a reason to exist at the Olympics and to assume its spirit, the objective is to bring back as many medals as possible to his country, preferably in gold, of course.

Entering multiple events increases this possibility.

This is why single top players play singles, doubles and sometimes mixed ... a situation that we will never see in slam these days, of course, and exceptionally in other tournaments for a one-off association that suits the top player. .. who will have no difficulty in finding a partner ...

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK then, though tennis connoisseurs will value Nadal's singles + doubles gold still more, because they are all from the men's side.
Yes but I'm sure you understand my point.

Either Olympic golds are all treated equally or they mean nothing at all.

That's the spirit of the Olympics.

Either the Olympic gold means something in tennis or it means nothing.

People want it both ways but it doesn't work that way.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
actually no. he still is in the mix for 2 gold right now in tokyo but those medals are not a given. as of now murray is, simple as that.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
actually no. he still is in the mix for 2 gold right now in tokyo but those medals are not a given. as of now murray is, simple as that.
I don't think you read the question...

1 - 20 of 61 Posts