Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
By winning his R2 Shaghai Masters match against Jérémy Chardy, 6-3, 7-5, Novak Djokovic breaks record for consecutive sets won against single opponent.
Novak won all 28 sets played with Chardy in their 12 matches H2H, in order to set a new record. :yeah:
I guess it's pretty miserable record from Chardy's perspective.

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
Re: Djokovic breaks ATP record for consecutive sets won after single opponent

Gasquet to start crying now, cannot believe it's not him who's holding this record.

·
Registered
15,229 Posts

With a FH that Chardy has it's disgraceful.

·
Registered
6,804 Posts

By winning his R2 Shaghai Masters match against Jérémy Chardy, 6-3, 7-5, Novak Djokovic breaks record for consecutive sets won against single opponent.
Novak won all 28 sets played with Chardy in their 12 matches H2H, in order to set a new record. :yeah:
I guess it's pretty miserable record from Chardy's perspective.
It's more about bad luck for Jim Chardy to meet Novak Djokovic 11 times, there are a lot of players on the tour who would have won a total of 0 set as well in this scenario.

Not only 11 times but they met mostly in big tournaments where Novak Djokovic cares: Australian Open, Cinci, Rome, Toronto, Wimbledon twice, Miami, French Open, Montreal, Queens, and now Shanghai.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

It's more about bad luck for Jim Chardy to meet Novak Djokovic 11 times, there are a lot of players on the tour who would have won a total of 0 set as well in this scenario.

Not only 11 times but they met mostly in big tournaments where Novak Djokovic cares: Australian Open, Cinci, Rome, Toronto, Wimbledon twice, Miami, French Open, Montreal, Queens, and now Shanghai.
Eh, it's not like Novak is playing plenty of 250/500 ATP tournaments. It's mostly Slams and Masters. They played one match in Marseilles 2009 though and Chardy got to one of two tie-breaks they played.

·
Registered
6,804 Posts

Eh, it's not like Novak is playing plenty of 250/500 ATP tournaments. It's mostly Slams and Masters. They played one match in Marseilles 2009 though and Chardy got to one of two tie-breaks they played.
You are right, I think it's more about the fact that they met 11 times in total, how many players of similar caliber to Jim Chardy have met Novak Djokovic 10 or 11 times? It is still obviously a bad stat for the Frenchman, but it's surprising they met so many times while they are not what one would call "main rivals".

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

You are right, I think it's more about the fact that they met 11 times in total, how many players of similar caliber to Jim Chardy have met Novak Djokovic 10 or 11 times? It is still obviously a bad stat for the Frenchman, but it's surprising they met so many times while they are not what one would call "main rivals".
They are both 31, so that's a lot of time together on tour. Nole also played 12 matches with Seppi, 10 with Querrey, 12 with Simon, 15 with Verdasco...
It's pretty strange that Chardy played only 5 matches with Federer (1-4) and just 2 with Nadal (0-2). :scratch:

·
Registered
6,804 Posts

They are both 31, so that's a lot of time together on tour. Nole also played 12 matches with Seppi, 10 with Querrey, 12 with Simon, 15 with Verdasco...
It's pretty strange that Chardy played only 5 matches with Federer (1-4) and just 2 with Nadal (0-2). :scratch:
Indeed.
Example of a player who would easily match that record: Djokovic - Granollers-Pujol, head-to-head | Tennis Explorer

·
|
14,307 Posts

What's the record for the most consecutive match wins over a single opponent?
I think I know....

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

Indeed.
Example of a player who would easily match that record: Djokovic - Granollers-Pujol, head-to-head | Tennis Explorer
Gruntollers also has 4 matches each with Federer and Nadal. He won 2 sets against Federer and 0 against Nadal.
Interestingly, Chardy also played Murray 10 times, winning 4 sets and 1 match against him. :nerd:
I hate Nolebashing which is common on MTF, but is Nolepraising better ?

Where is that bloody stat significant ?????
It isn't some special praising of Nole, but it's is an interesting stat and genuine record nonetheless. :shrug:

·
justice for all
13,148 Posts

This record is really irrelevant.

Having said that - shame on you, Chardy!

·
Registered
6,804 Posts

I was thinking of the streak that ended at the 2015 Australian Open, and it involved Berdych.
Indeed, 17 wins in a row, but I guess Roger Federer vs. David Ferrer is more impressive since he never lost to the guy.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts

What's the record for the most consecutive match wins over a single opponent?
I think I know....
What's the record for the most match wins over a single opponent?
I think I know >:)

·
|
14,307 Posts

What's the record for the most match wins over a single opponent?
I think I know >:)
I'm not sure, but Nadal has 18 grand slam wins over Djokovic/Federer.
Nadal leads Djokovic 9-5.
Nadal leads Federer 9-3.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts