Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
World number two, Novak Djokovic, admitted that he was relieved to get back to winning ways in Canada after suffering emotional defeats at the Olympics.

Djokovic, who has won three Grand Slams in the past year, lost to Andy Murray in the semi-finals at London 2012, before missing out on a bronze medal, following a shock loss to Juan Martin Del Potro.

The Serbian bounced back in style with victory in the final of the Toronto Masters on Sunday, easing past France's Richard Gasquet 6-3 6-2 to land his first title in four months.

"It's a big tournament, one of the biggest we have in tennis. I'm very happy to be in this position," Djokovic said.

"I truly did not expect myself to win this tournament after the emotional losses in the Olympic Games. I really took it hard. I tried to bounce back and recover. I've done great, I have to say."

Djokovic broke Gasquet three times and won 84 per cent of his first serve points in a match that lasted just over an hour. He was pleased with the way that he served during a tough week in Toronto.

"I've been working on the efficiency of my first and second serve, but also trying to be aggressive in the first ball. It's been working exceptionally well throughout the whole week," Djokovic added.

The 25-year-old starts the defence of his US Open title on August 27, but will first have the opportunity to challenge Roger Federer for the number one ranking at the Western & Southern Open in Cincinnati this week.

Djokovic insisted that he is only concentrating on winning tennis matches, an assurance that will no doubt have piqued the interest of fans placing a bet at Bet Victor.

"Rankings are going to follow up with the success you have, so I will try to perform my best next week, and prepare as best I can for the US Open," he said.

Have a bet with Bet Victor.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts