1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
Until some tournament when he peaks again, and then the exact opposite thread titles are made. I mean, players surely know he is more vulnerable than before, he's 34. But players knew that since 2016.

The problem is not just knowing you can beat him, but actually doing it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Until some tournament when he peaks again, and then the exact opposite thread titles are made. I mean, players surely know he is more vulnerable than before, he's 34. But players knew that since 2016.

What's with fedrard habit to add +1 year to player's age? Djokovic is 33.

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
What's with fedrard habit to add +1 year to player's age? Djokovic is 33.
Well excuse me, did not have the effort to go google his age. And I'm not such a groupie to know all his details at random. I think you got my point. He's in his 34th year of life, there. Better?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Djokovic never reached the heights of 2011. That was tennis man. That was tennis. Destruction from all angles. Everything that came after was sort of a incomplete domination.

Djokovic in 2020 is no better or worse than Djokovic in 2019 although he was better in the beginning of 2019 but not by much.

Djokovic strugles to win "the point" ever since his comeback - the point that crushes opponents in close matches, the point that tells the opponent that their best is not enough.

·
King Of Tennis
3,239 Posts
Djokovic never reached the heights of 2011. That was tennis man. That was tennis. Destruction from all angles. Everything that came after was sort of a incomplete domination.

Djokovic in 2020 is no better or worse than Djokovic in 2019 although he was better in the beginning of 2019 but not by much.

Djokovic strugles to win "the point" ever since his comeback - the point that crushes opponents in close matches, the point that tells the opponent that their best is not enough.
2015 was better than 2011, at least in terms of the results. There is an argument he played at a higher level in 2011. They're both the two best seasons in tennis history though.

But to address the thread topic - people wrote him off when he didn't win a slam for two years between RG16 and W18. Then he won five in very quick succession. He loves proving his haters wrong, so if you're counting him out then be prepared to suffer.

He's literally number one in the world by a considerable margin so it's ridiculous people are acting like his career is over because he didn't win the last few tournaments he played, lol. Thiem only won one tournament this year and Nadal just the two.

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
Reactions: Claybot

·
Registered
644 Posts

This.

Djokovic might just be in a slump and gets back to form by the time AO starts.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Djokovic's performance at Slams:
AO: win
Wimbledon: cancelled
USO: defaulted
FO: lost in the final to the best clay courter of all time

Grow up, everyone. Djokovic is far from done. He is the clear favourite at the AO 2021.
I doubt anyone serious thinks he isn't still the favorite at the AO. However to take your points one by one:

AO - scraped a win from 2 sets to 1 down against a guy who is still improving on hard. When did that last happen?

USO - defaulted after being outplayed in a set he was about to lose to PCB such that he lost his mind.

FO - lost to Nadal (not a big deal in itself) but got absolutely annihilated in conditions which hugely favored Novak where his own coach suggested Nadal had no chance yet it looked like Novak himself felt he had no chance.

Add to that Medvedev beating him down at his own game, Thiem beating him again and confirming the trend of the last 7 matches as well as some uncharacteristic lapses and I think you can see why there's more cause for concern.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Djokovic is far from finished, but his reign at the top as no. 1 is in danger and serious jeopardy. If he catches a bad draw in AO, that's a big points loss. Is he really getting better or has he stagnated? While the young lions are getting better stronger smarter and more bold.

·
justice for all
16,227 Posts
Djokovic's performance at Slams:
AO: win
Wimbledon: cancelled
USO: defaulted
FO: lost in the final to the best clay courter of all time

Grow up, everyone. Djokovic is far from done. He is the clear favourite at the AO 2021.
Since when "cancelled" is a performance?
I like "defaulted" best though. 😂

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Yes. It's a nonsense.

Of course, and given the exaggerated actual abuse of the freezing points, I am (and was) more than ever for the full withdrawal of points.

Having said that, it will be more interesting to see Federer's level than his AO seed (if it occurs).

If he's seed 5 at a bad level, it won't change much for him.

On the other hand, if he is at a good level, it would have been better for him to be seed 28 (his ranking without freezing points), imo.

He would then have a better chance of beating a big seed earlier than later in the tournament, and “getting out” of his way.

As a reminder, he was seed 17 when he returned for OA 2017.

And top 3 after Wimb 2016 when he stops his season.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts