Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Perhaps I'm missing something, but it seems that Rafa and Nole seem to get along pretty well. Following the insane comments from Djokovic at the French (after losing to Rafa), it seems mutual respect is there. I haven't heard the family say one negative thing about Rafa. Do you think this is because they simply don't like Roger? Or that they realize what Rafa has accomplished is worthy of respect? Or that Rafa is simply the modern day version of Vitas...the man everyone at the top liked, though there was animosity among everyone else?

·
♥ eve ♥
40,985 Posts
Re: Djokoic and Nadal: a Less Contenious Rivalry

I haven't heard the family say one negative thing about Rafa. Do you think this is because they simply don't like Roger? Or that they realize what Rafa has accomplished is worthy of respect?
So Nadal (3 times slam champ) would be worthy of respect while Federer (12 times slam champ) not :confused: :scratch:

Interesting... :eek:

·
Banned
59,367 Posts

Novak Knows that he will never be better than Nadal on clay ever in his career.

Nadal Knows that he will never Ever be better than Novak on hardcourts.

They have this understanding and have accepted it.

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,503 Posts

No, you have missed something as usual.

Just like the Djokovic- Lendl thing.

·
Registered
7,697 Posts

OMG Sawan your avarta is gross. :eek:

·
Registered
27,276 Posts

I think Nadal doesn't care much for Djokovic(based on his answers reg. Djokovic) but is less vocal about it. They keep their distance. Fed usually does that but in case of Novak his dislike has been more apparent than usual:shrug:

·
Tênis Mambembe
36,773 Posts

Perhaps I'm missing something, but it seems that Rafa and Nole seem to get along pretty well. Following the insane comments from Djokovic at the French (after losing to Rafa), it seems mutual respect is there. I haven't heard the family say one negative thing about Rafa. Do you think this is because they simply don't like Roger? Or that they realize what Rafa has accomplished is worthy of respect? Or that Rafa is simply the modern day version of Vitas...the man everyone at the top liked, though there was animosity among everyone else?
you missed "v" in Djokovic at the title

·
Registered
5,155 Posts

Federer made some very nasty comments about Nole, which is why his parents dislike Roger. If I were Nole^s father, I would despise Roger too. Also, it seems as though Rafa is a nicer person than Roger. Roger seems to get insulted when someone seriously challenges or beats him. Roger was fortunate that Nole choked away the first two sets of last year^s USO final. Now that Nole has won a Slam, beating Roger in the semis, should give him confidence to win more slams and raise his ranking.

·
Comparisons are Odious
10,541 Posts

Or perhaps sawan, they don't view Nadal as a threat to Djokovic reaching no. 1:shrug: Stop reaching sawan. I don't think there's any love/respect between rafa and nole.

·
♥ eve ♥
40,985 Posts

Also, it seems as though Rafa is a nicer person than Roger.
Based on what? Your personal taste? :lol: It seems that Roger is well appreciated among the tennis pros, while some seem to have a go at Rafa's antics (Soderling, Mathieu...) :eek:

·
Registered
737 Posts

I don't see how Nadal seems nicer. I like both. I do think there was a good vibes between Nadal and Nole but since he's been making fun of Nadal I don't get that anymore.

·
RAJ KAREGA KHALSA
9,981 Posts

Rafa isn't a marked man and he's not the sort of player against whom another player measures himself--except where clay is involved. And, like someone else said, Nole knows that he will never be better than Rafa on clay.

·
Registered
240 Posts

You guys can't imagine how his interviews for Serbian newspapers are different than those for foreign ones. Half of his interviews here were always about how Federer is the goat, great guy... In last interview before AO he mentions both of them, something like : " They say for Federer that he is great sportsman and gentleman. He proves it on and off the court with his gestures and his humanitarian work. He really is a great guy" , " People are wrong about Spaniard. They have wrong impression because he is a bit cocky on court. Maybe it looks like he is cocky, but that's not true. I'm saying this because i know him privately. Rafa is a very, very good boy and one of the few fair-play players left. He is so unspoiled and great sportsman and professional"

Reactions: Castafiore

·
Registered
2,329 Posts

They share the same PR man...that's the answer I guess.

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts

In Nole's case then it's most definitely time for him to earn his money.
:lol:

I've seen noone mentioning it yet, but I guess Nole and Rafa being closer in age will probably mean that they spent a lot of time together going through junior's tournaments and such - more than with Roger, who is of course of an 'older' generation (how silly does this sound btw, being 26 and being 'older'...)

·
Registered
2,650 Posts

You guys can't imagine how his interviews for Serbian newspapers are different than those for foreign ones. Half of his interviews here were always about how Federer is the goat, great guy... In last interview before AO he mentions both of them, something like : " They say for Federer that he is great sportsman and gentleman. He proves it on and off the court with his gestures and his humanitarian work. He really is a great guy" , " People are wrong about Spaniard. They have wrong impression because he is a bit cocky on court. Maybe it looks like he is cocky, but that's not true. I'm saying this because i know him privately. Rafa is a very, very good boy and one of the few fair-play players left. He is so unspoiled and great sportsman and professional"
Off the court, Nole and Rafa are very friendly and nice people. On the court, they have this competitve passion that can get the better of them sometimes. As long as it stays that way, I'm fine with the top 3 Tennis has at the moment. It could be much worse.

·
Can't be bothered anymore
23,023 Posts

Federer made some very nasty comments about Nole, which is why his parents dislike Roger. If I were Nole^s father, I would despise Roger too. Also, it seems as though Rafa is a nicer person than Roger. Roger seems to get insulted when someone seriously challenges or beats him. Roger was fortunate that Nole choked away the first two sets of last year^s USO final. Now that Nole has won a Slam, beating Roger in the semis, should give him confidence to win more slams and raise his ranking.
What's between two grown-up people should never be the business of others. Therefore there's no need for Djokovics parents to defend their son. If he and Roger have a problem they should both be able to solve it.
Some people seem to forget that it always takes two persons for an argument. Besides this Roger made the comment you are refering to - I think you mean the comment about the injury timeouts - already when Novak hasn't beat him, therefore it makes no sense when you accuse Roger of just insulting Novak because he challenged or beat him...

And about Novak choking in the US Open final: According to your logic Roger then also must have choked the first set of the AO final as I'm sure you remember that he served for the set.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
You guys are creating a mountain out of a mole in this topic.

I think these three players get along well more than we think. I think the respect will always be there.

I think all of them are just being honest during interviews.

·
Registered
5,155 Posts

What's between two grown-up people should never be the business of others. Therefore there's no need for Djokovics parents to defend their son. If he and Roger have a problem they should both be able to solve it.
Some people seem to forget that it always takes two persons for an argument. Besides this Roger made the comment you are refering to - I think you mean the comment about the injury timeouts - already when Novak hasn't beat him, therefore it makes no sense when you accuse Roger of just insulting Novak because he challenged or beat him...

And about Novak choking in the US Open final: According to your logic Roger then also must have choked the first set of the AO final as I'm sure you remember that he served for the set.
In the USO final, Roger was already a great multi Slam winner. Nole was playing in his first Slam final, had a good lead in both sets but got tight when he had a good chance to win the sets. Roger, being an experienced champion, took advantage of the situation as he should have. Obviously the Djokovic^s are more vocally involved with their son^s tennis than most parents, but they have a right to defend thir 19 YO son when they think he has been unfairly attacked by the older player.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts