Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He's not even as good as horrible Rafa who only defends on clay (Monte Carlo, Barcelona, Rome, and the FO).

Djokovic only has defended two events EVER (2009 and 2010 Beijing and 2009-2011 Dubai).

Do I think he'll defend ANY of his 2011 events in 2012, YES, mainly because he won 10 events and odds are he's not going to lose ALL 10 of them in 2012.

NO WAY he defends all 10 of his events, I'm going to break them down one-by-one and say which ones I think he defends and which ones he doesn't...

Australian Open: He does NOT defend.

Dubai: He DOES defend.

Indian Wells: He DOES defend.

Miami: He does NOT defend.

Belgrade: He DOES defend.

Madrid: He DOES defend.

Rome: He does NOT defend.

Wimbledon: He does NOT defend.

Montreal/Toronto: He does NOT defend.

U.S. Open: He DOES defend.

So there you have it, he defends half of his titles and maybe wins another 1-3 titles that he didn't win in 2011 (i.e. French Open, Cincinnati, Asian events, Basel, Paris, and WTF).

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
he's still number 1 if he does what you said
Maybe with a 2-year ranking system ;)
Otherwise he'll need more than one slam to be #1... it's not the WTA after all.

(You could still be correct, but he'd have to win the French Open too, which is possible but I wouldn't place money on it until I saw his clay form next year...)

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Djoko will defend the Hopman Cup. That is for sure!

·
Registered
20,731 Posts
I imagine he'll be looking to manage his schedule better, after the problems at the end of last year. Perhaps play Madrid, and pull out of Rome? Ditto Canada>Cinci.

·
Banned
49 Posts
Del Potro was flash in the pan .......and really what's with all the Indian people rooting for Rafa?
I dont know, cant generalize it. Maybe we dont like arrogant pricks. See i am neither a Fed/Nole hater nor a blind supporter of my favourite player.

There is support for all the players here but its just that MTF gets the more dedicated ones ;) :D

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
How so ?

that's a lot of ranking points he would be losing there ,
4000 ish depending on what round he loses in.
I thought he said he would win AO and Rafa has also shitload of points to defend too

I dont know, cant generalize it. Maybe we dont like arrogant pricks. See i am neither a Fed/Nole hater nor a blind supporter of my favourite player.

There is support for all the players here but its just that MTF gets the more dedicated ones ;) :D
yeah I guess you're right

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,438 Posts
He'll hardly defend any of them, which is good for both the sport and the players below him.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I thínk he will be probably finding himself for the first half of the year - because of tiredness, maybe big expectations and so.

I don´t care about small tournaments what he can defend, I think only major trophy he will be able to lift, is US Open + Olympic gold medal.

Reactions: MTwEeZi

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
It is very hard to defend titles for a lot of players. And Nole has so many to defend it would really be tough for him to defend them all. He was very tired at the end of this season so it will be interesting to see how he starts out in 2012. I don't think we can really know much until after we see how he starts the season.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
I've always found it ridiculous to talk about defending titles. It is a new year, new season, new titles. It is not necessary to defend all of them to become N1. He can defend some, he can win others which he didn't last year. It is not about defending. It is about gaining more points than the rest at the end of the year. That's it.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts