Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
17,365 Posts
I hope Djokovic plays to his 40s, because Rafa will have a giant lead in their h2h if that happens.....
Rafa isn't even declining, whereas Djokovic looks worse and worse on hardcourt almost losing to Thiem at the AO (that is Djokovic's favorite slam and favorite surface) despite Rafa taking Thiem's best level and softening him for Djokovic....
Djokovic's level against Thiem has nothing to do with his level against Nadal. In case you haven't noticed, Nadal has lost 17 straight sets against Djokovic on HC

·
Registered
498 Posts
Djokovic's level against Thiem has nothing to do with his level against Nadal. In case you haven't noticed, Nadal has lost 17 straight sets against Djokovic on HC
I don't know how this is possible, but Nadal was able to break Djokovic's serve only once in his past seven hard court matches (and twice in his past nine).

Forget winning a set or match; Nadal will be lucky if he can even break Djokovic's serve on a hard court.

·
Registered
338 Posts
The 2018 Wimbledon SF will prove to be the most important match in tennis history once the Big 3's careers are over, I expect.
It's definitely right up there. In my opinion, the top 5 most important matches in the last decade are the following in this order:

1. Djokovic vs Federer Wimbledon F 2019 (way too much at stake here)
2. Federer vs Nadal AO F 2017 (if Federer lost this 1 he may have never reached 20 slams in his career, plus it's esp impressive right after his injury in 2016)
3. Djokovic vs Nadal AO F 2012 (most epic final of all time in my opinion, and this win gave Novak a huge mental edge over Rafa for many years to come + denied Rafa his 2nd AO even up until now)
4. Djokovic vs Nadal Wimbledon SF 2018 (Djokovic's moment of resurgence after a period of injury & tough losses)
5. I'd say Djokovic vs Federer US Open 2011 (1st time Djoker won US Open & denied both Rafa+Roger another slam as well as a 1st time meeting in US Open). Also right up there is the epic Nadal-Djokovic RG 2013 SF where much like in Wimby 2018, where either winner would have won that final against Ferrer.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Wimbledon F 2019 is the most important match for sure. The stakes couldn't have been higher. 2018 SF Wimbledon is a close second, simply because that match gave Djokovic the confidence he needed to dominate the sport again (winning five of the last seven slams), while also preventing his rivals from adding to their total and closing in on the records.

·
Registered
21,286 Posts
If Fedal remain on top and djokovic is still 3rd then none of Wimbledon 18/19 will be the most important. Most probably AO 17 to be the #1 if Fed ends on top and Nadal #2

·
Registered
498 Posts
If Fedal remain on top and djokovic is still 3rd then none of Wimbledon 18/19 will be the most important. Most probably AO 17 to be the #1 if Fed ends on top and Nadal #2
I disagree with this train of thought. When three players are so close to one another in slams, people will not just look at their slam totals; they will look at the overall body of work. People will look at things like strength of opposition, H2H, the highest stakes matches between the three, weeks at #1, etcetera. I think Djokovic has the strongest case for GOAT right now, but this will become much more apparent when their careers are over.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I think one important thing that will propel Djokovic and Nadal even further in the GOAT debate is that they have sustained excellence: they are winning many slams approaching their mid-30s, with no signs of slowing down. The true GOAT contenders in every major men's sport were/are still the best at what they do in their mid-30s and maybe beyond. That's what GOATs do. Djokovic is currently on another one of his historic runs, winning five of the last seven slams.

I feel the GOAT will come down to Djokovic against Nadal, and Djokovic's overall body of work will prove to be an insurmountable mountain to climb for Nadal.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
It is already stated that "article cites wrong player".

Perhaps this is not even about Djokovic.

Maybe it was really about Johnny Groove or someone entirely different?

·
Registered
13,454 Posts
2018 Wimbledon is irrelevant, as Djokovic is still not even close to the slam record.... and Rafa didn't need to win Wimbledon, as he keeps winning Roland Garros (3 years in a row) and the US Open (2 of the last 3 years, and retired injured in the SF of 2018 US Open).
If Djokovic doesn't win the 2018 Wimbledon SF, he conceivably could still be at 12 slams and out of tennis (instead of at 17 slams, still in tennis, and on the way to breaking the slam record until Covid-19 in 2020 saved Federer/Nadal). I'd say it's pretty relevant.

·
Registered
13,454 Posts
It's definitely right up there. In my opinion, the top 5 most important matches in the last decade are the following in this order:

1. Djokovic vs Federer Wimbledon F 2019 (way too much at stake here)
2. Federer vs Nadal AO F 2017 (if Federer lost this 1 he may have never reached 20 slams in his career, plus it's esp impressive right after his injury in 2016)
3. Djokovic vs Nadal AO F 2012 (most epic final of all time in my opinion, and this win gave Novak a huge mental edge over Rafa for many years to come + denied Rafa his 2nd AO even up until now)
4. Djokovic vs Nadal Wimbledon SF 2018 (Djokovic's moment of resurgence after a period of injury & tough losses)
5. I'd say Djokovic vs Federer US Open 2011 (1st time Djoker won US Open & denied both Rafa+Roger another slam as well as a 1st time meeting in US Open). Also right up there is the epic Nadal-Djokovic RG 2013 SF where much like in Wimby 2018, where either winner would have won that final against Ferrer.
I think that's a pretty good top 5. The reason I say Djokovic/Nadal Wimbledon SF is for what it meant down the road in tennis, not necessarily the individual meaning of that particular match in the tournament.

Federer/Nadal AO F 2017 was pretty important too for the same reason (Fed added two more after that).

·
Registered
225 Posts
Yep, good top 5, there is also a match to which I would have given an accessit even if it is distant in time now, it regains a particular importance today.

The final of the US Open 2009.

Not because it's the only slam of Del Potro to date.
But, by winning Federer would have:
won his 6th US in a row, would have maintained his leadership (and his confidence) in NY, which he never found, would have achieved a 4th little slam and potentially won the 4 in a row from RG 09 to AO 2010 and obviously, all things equal for the rest, brought its total to 21.
But at the time, Federer had just won the French Open, Wimbledon and regaining the number one, it was not so vital ...

·
Registered
96 Posts
I am glad he played through the dip in form. He is too talented to let a little adversity dictate when he retires.

I look forward to some more classic matches between Djoker and his top rivals.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts