Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4 poor matches in a row...

Only just beat Gael Monfils in Toronto 6-2, 6-7(4), 7-6(2)
then lost to Jo-Wilfried Tsonga 2-6, 2-6

Only just beat Gilles Simon in Cincinnati 6-3, 4-6, 6-4
then lost to Tommy Robredo 6-7, 5-7

Beginning of a chrises? :confused:

·
6,253 Posts
Too early to say, he had only had 4 losses this year up until this years North American summer campaign (and one of those - Monte Carlo - was a virtual forfeit due to injury). So that's only 6 losses this year right now.
But he has to turn the corner very, very soon.
Not the beginning of a downturn yet, guess we will see in the 1st week of the USO.

·
Super Moderator
62,003 Posts
Djokovic has had his worst Toronto-Cincy combo since 2005 (didn't play both in 2006). Also first time he's failed to reach QF in two consecutive masters since IW - Miami 2010. Really uncharted territory for him. It's the first time in eight visits he's failed to reach Roger's Cup QF and first loss before QF in Cincy since 2007 (when he won Montreal immediately before) .

·
Registered
10,267 Posts
I really hope that these two fiascoes and wasted opportunities for titles (or at least for huge amount of points) will serve as wake-up call.

He practically came unprepared at Toronto hoping for an easier opponents that will help him reach his normal level. That approach didn't work in Toronto and neither in Cincy.

This last loss(robredo) should shake him up since he will realize that, with lack of preparation and with this kind of approach, any determined and psychically stable opponent can beat him. (any good top 20 opponent that doesn't choke)

He can save the american season by wining USO.

·
Registered
16,539 Posts
Not a big deal. Nadal was poor in 2010 as well and went on to play some of the best tennis we've ever seen in New York.

Best of 5, not a lot of people will have the balls or stamina to beat him.

·
Registered
19,156 Posts
Not a big deal. Nadal was poor in 2010 as well and went on to play some of the best tennis we've ever seen in New York.

Pretty much this. I remember Nadal losing to Baghdatis in Cincinnati

Though Nole looks worse than that at the moment... but the rest of the field is bad too so if he'll wake up he'll still be the favourite for the US Open

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
He's married and becoming a dad. He's more important things to worry about.

Reminds me of Wilander who, after having proven everything - notably that he could eclipse Lendl - also had trouble to motivate himself for the last 2 percent of extra effort that is needed to be and stay at the top of the game. Especially for players without big natural weapons who rely on fitness, intelligence, discipline and sheer willpower to make it.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts

:secret:

the difference is Nadal regularly is QUITE inconsistent at HC slams, Djokovic is not

·
Registered
16,539 Posts
:secret:

the difference is Nadal regularly is QUITE inconsistent at HC slams, Djokovic is not
In case it wasn't a mistake of you by writing HC slams instead of HC masters:

Nadal hasn't missed a final since he got injured at the AO 2011 vs. Ferrer in HC slams he played. As for Djokovic, wouldn't your point be even less of a concern to him?

Anyway, whatever you meant, Djokovic will be fine. These upsets don't happen in HC slams.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
In case it wasn't a mistake of you by writing HC slams instead of HC masters:

Nadal hasn't missed a final since he got injured at the AO 2011 vs. Ferrer in HC slams he played. As for Djokovic, wouldn't your point be even less of a concern to him?

Anyway, whatever you meant, Djokovic will be fine. These upsets don't happen in HC slams.
Well not so sure..This is the worst I've seen him play on HC in back to back M1000s..And let us not pretend he has the margin of Nadal on Clay that you could shrug off a couple early bad losses leading to RG..He's not as mentally secure as Rafa,and is genuinely looking like your typical just-married type who's gone fat and happy right after..

·
Registered
256 Posts
I did notice some muscle mass loss. So, I assume he hasn't trained as hard or he has not taken care of his 'diet' that much these weeks.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts