Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Even bad tactical advises don't justify Novak's brainfart against Thiem, because 1. it's clear to anybody that net rushing against Thiem is bad and bad advises shouldn't be listened to, and 2. even if you try to listen to this advice, you should recognize quickly, as soon as you lose couple of points like an amateur, that net rushing is bad or at least way too risky, and switch to plan B. And you should know an universal rule in modern tennis, regardless of the opponent, which is that you go to the net to finish already won point, not to fight for the point, because defense in modern tennis is just too good for traditional net rushing. Instead of knowing any of that, Novak was consistent in forcing this amateur game plan, which made as much sense as being nervous because of the wind.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Re: Djokovic’s tactical advisor

Has anyone heard of this guy?
He claims to have done the game plans for Djokovic for the last 6 slams. Funnily enough he didn’t write an article about Nole’s net tactics in Paris.
Craig is statistician. 1 match played in unorthodox conditions is not what you can use to measure quality of his work. He is well respected among top of the line coaches (like Magnus Norman) for his work.

Anyway, I doubt he was the one who told Nole to rush the net like a headless chicken. That one is on Djokovic alone imo, maybe trying desperately to deal with conditions which don't favor his style/preserve strength for eventual final against Nadal. Also, it was visible how Novak's motivation dropped after his QF was rained out, half-assing 1st set against Zverev and gifting 1st set to Thiem without covering the court and running after routine shots. He was probably thinking to himself - "this shit again...".

Novak's net game was almost impeccable in Paris before SF, and even in SF, whenever he built a point properly, he ended up winning it by going to the net.

Funnily enough, no one questioned Craig's work when Novak won 3 slams in a row.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts

Somethings going on his mind after the AO win, i hate to say it, again.

IO/Miami losses are just uncharacterstic, it never happens he gets defeated before the Final Set in Finals of IW/Miami. On the top of it his frequent going to vacation is not just on. I agree with Toni's training of Nadal, with defalted balls, broken rackets and all the imperfect circumstances early on his childhood. Novak should do a bit of that too. Maybe its too late and the person will be shouted on for his life who gives him deflated balls and probably kicked out of the courts too.:grin2::grin2:

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
I saw the match v Thiem again and it was a close close close match, only won by the thinnest of thinnest margin. Maybe Novak would have edged out Thiem in 4 Sets, if it was normal conditions. I have to say it, he should play played with angles, with Thiem standing so far behind, instead of rushing to the net, he should have used angles on the court.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts

He claims to have done the game plans for Djokovic for the last 6 slams. Funnily enough he didn’t write an article about Nole’s net tactics in Paris.
Thoughts?
https://twitter.com/tennischannel/status/1137147226952818689?s=21
Yes, O'Shaunessy is very well known and respected, he had an analytical column on the atp site called "Brain Game" for quite awhile. I've seen some very analysis from him.

I had no idea players brought in non-team "consultants" for game plans. That is news to me.
And I would be curious to know exactlly what those game plans for Djok were.

But whatever assumption people had about Djok being as dominant on clay as elsewhere were obviously wrong. I think it's pretty clear he's the 3rd best on clay right now.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts

IO/Miami losses are just uncharacterstic, it never happens he gets defeated before the Final Set in Finals of IW/Miami. On the top of it his frequent going to vacation is not just on. I agree with Toni's training of Nadal, with defalted balls, broken rackets and all the imperfect circumstances early on his childhood. Novak should do a bit of that too. Maybe its too late and the person will be shouted on for his life who gives him deflated balls and probably kicked out of the courts too.:grin2::grin2:
What's the story with "defalted balls/" I'm curious.
Djok is going to change character now, in fact no-one changes character period. They only learn to hide it better (Fed with his temper, but it still comes out a bit).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Craig is statistician. 1 match played in unorthodox conditions is not what you can use to measure quality of his work. He is well respected among top of the line coaches (like Magnus Norman) for his work.

Anyway, I doubt he was the one who told Nole to rush the net like a headless chicken. That one is on Djokovic alone imo, maybe trying desperately to deal with conditions which don't favor his style/preserve strength for eventual final against Nadal. Also, it was visible how Novak's motivation dropped after his QF was rained out, half-assing 1st set against Zverev and gifting 1st set to Thiem without covering the court and running after routine shots. He was probably thinking to himself - "this shit again...".

Novak's net game was almost impeccable in Paris before SF, and even in SF, whenever he built a point properly, he ended up winning it by going to the net.

Funnily enough, no one questioned Craig's work when Novak won 3 slams in a row.
It seems like some of his articles on the ATP site he chooses to cherry pick the stats to justify his position, highlighting that the win/loss ratio at the net is better than the baseline. When I’m actual fact, as you’ve stated, it’s only worthwhile coming forward to finish off a well constructed point from the back of the court.
Maybe there should be a new stat that differentiates a “true” net winner via an aggressive volley as opposed to the easy put away.
Then the net stat would largely become irrelevant, except for serve-volleyers of whom are dinosaurs.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts

What's the story with "defalted balls/" I'm curious.
Djok is going to change character now, in fact no-one changes character period. They only learn to hide it better (Fed with his temper, but it still comes out a bit).
i mean deflated balls. Toni used to throw deflated balls at Nadal and ask him to play with it. These sort of things inculcated a habit in him to play in all sorts of different circumstances.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts

It seems like some of his articles on the ATP site he chooses to cherry pick the stats to justify his position, highlighting that the win/loss ratio at the net is better than the baseline. When I’m actual fact, as you’ve stated, it’s only worthwhile coming forward to finish off a well constructed point from the back of the court.
Maybe there should be a new stat that differentiates a “true” net winner via an aggressive volley as opposed to the easy put away.
Then the net stat would largely become irrelevant, except for serve-volleyers of whom are dinosaurs.
He usually works his stats from whole field in a tournaments, so it's what it is. This Djokovic's SF was pretty anomalous in that sense. That's just not how he plays. Ofc, everyone who watches good baseliner like Djokovic is shouting at him to just finish a point at the net ffs all the time. So many times point resets because of lack of determination to close the net after good aggressive shot. IMO, future of tennis is a healthy mixture of baseline and net play, without one being too dominant over the other.

·
-Lifetime Scientist-
12,199 Posts

I disagree a bit on his take on the long rallies, although they are percentually low, they are very important in determining who's the best player, this affects the approach of said players after a certain point (I don't mean tennis point). For example, I think Wawrinka won his match against Djokovic in AO'14 in a couple of long rallies in the 2nd set, he set who was the stronger player on that day.

On the contrary, it would become more meaningful.

He usually works his stats from whole field in a tournaments, so it's what it is. This Djokovic's SF was pretty anomalous in that sense. That's just not how he plays. Ofc, everyone who watches good baseliner like Djokovic is shouting at him to just finish a point at the net ffs all the time. So many times point resets because of lack of determination to close the net after good aggressive shot. IMO, future of tennis is a healthy mixture of baseline and net play, without one being too dominant over the other.
Two of the most recent #1s, Safin and Federer, played exactly like this.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts

i mean deflated balls. Toni used to throw deflated balls at Nadal and ask him to play with it. These sort of things inculcated a habit in him to play in all sorts of different circumstances.
OK thanks I didn't know that story.
But as a Nadal fan I do know that Toni tolerated no shit from his student, ever; and imposed a very rigorous standard of behavior on him. Of course Nadal had to have the kind of character that could thrive under these conditions, not all do.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts

Can we please stay on topic as this thread has nothing to do w/ Nadal, Tio Don or their "deflated balls" (no pun intended).

·
|
14,307 Posts
Djokovic rushed the net recklessly vs. Thiem because he didn't want to play Rafa.
It was a way of losing without tanking, trying hard but with a losing tactic.
Rafa has won their last 3 clay matches, including 2 of them in straight sets, and the other (Rome 2019) had a bagel and breadstick :lol:
I predicted at the start of the clay season that Rafa would reduce the h2h gap (its now Djokovic 28-26) unless Djokovic dodged him.

·
Registered
956 Posts

Djokovic rushed the net recklessly vs. Thiem because he didn't want to play Rafa.
Rafa has won their last 3 clay matches, including 2 of them in straight sets, and the other (Rome 2019) had a bagel and breadstick :lol:
I predicted at the start of the clay season that Rafa would reduce the h2h gap (its now Djokovic 28-26) unless Djokovic dodged him.
A guy who has won 3 of the last 4 slams and beaten Nadal in 2 slams in the last 12 months and is going for the 2nd Nole slam and to add another to his tally would dodge an opponent?

Is that what Nadal was doing all those years at the AO and at Wimbledon? Was he avoiding Djokovic?

·
|
14,307 Posts

A guy who has won 3 of the last 4 slams and beaten Nadal in 2 slams in the last 12 months and is going for the 2nd Nole slam and to add another to his tally would dodge an opponent?

Is that what Nadal was doing all those years at the AO and at Wimbledon? Was he avoiding Djokovic?
Rafa bagelled+breadsticked him at Rome and Djokovic knew the same would happen at Roland Garros.
In fact Djokovic would be even more tired, so double or triple-bagel.
Whereas Rafa had ankle surgery at the end of last year, couldn't practice his defense/retrieving, and still showed up for the AO with an adapted playing style of ending the points quickly (a style that he said doesn't work vs. Djokovic because you need to play defense first and turn it into offense gradually during the rally) and still fronted up for the AO final.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts

Nadal faced his toughest opponent fearlessly at Wimbledon and AO.

Anyone with eyes can see it.

·
Registered
6,148 Posts

seconded

·
6,250 Posts

Nole originally trained and learned in a disused swimming pool, that was damaged by the NATO bombings, and hitting a ball against a wall with bullet holes in it.
Those are humble beginnings if ever there was one, and on a par with Humbalito, with Uncle Toni making him play with poor equipment and poor tennis balls etc.
Nole will be back mate, surely you can smell the freshly mowed grass at Wimbledon right now?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts

Nole originally trained and learned in a disused swimming pool, that was damaged by the NATO bombings, and hitting a ball against a wall with bullet holes in it.
Those are humble beginnings if ever there was one, and on a par with Humbalito, with Uncle Toni making him play with poor equipment and poor tennis balls etc.
Nole will be back mate, surely you can smell the freshly mowed grass at Wimbledon right now?
Novak is in a much better position than 12 months ago.
MTF people just have very short memories.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts