-ranking system points
-tournament start times
-rules and tiebreak
-types of tournaments
-much more of course, but a start

·
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are plans to run a full schedule in 2019 , all will be welcome to JOIN and PLAY.

There will be a discussion thread , on ideas for tournament structures, there will certainly be some variety of formats, regular tournament single knockout with 16/32/64/128 draws, depending on amount of players and tournaments on given week, plus SWISS SYSTEM/ROUND ROBIN/DOUBLE & TRIPLE KNOCKOUT

A fresh new RANKING system , which will have a set number of early season tournaments before rankings kick in (probably 4-8 weeks) , all will be able to PLAY MAIN DRAW every week , no Q will be involved and only MAIN TOUR events except weeks where there are none.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
F*cking awesome!!!!

·
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I do not want at all to be competing for players with REGULAR TT, mostly those who play now and hopefully new to UTT players not from TT over time.

I guess first thing on the agenda I'd like to discuss is a variety of tournament styles, some weeks ROUND ROBIN, DOUBLE KNOCKOUT ,ETC.

SIMILAR to suicide, vote or just choose an event to play each week, and have a ranking system that @PetecoKraus has volunteered his skills to ! :bigclap:

I think even 1 REGULAR and 1 SPECIAL EVENT STYLE each week would not be out of the question if enough players , or just rotate event style 1 each monthly, or biweekly , with same kind of points value , top 16 get points, ROUND ROBIN will just be that top 8 advance to QF or 4 to SF I guess, and 8-16 get set amount of points. each style would need thought and set point values.

My thoughts are to avoid doubles, a lot more work, and always missing picks to deal with after players exit singles, really doubles is there so players can play longer each week, but that is naturally going to happen here in singles with ROUND ROBIN, or double knock out, where you could have a winners brackets and a losers bracket, giving all the losing RD1 players a second chance in another bracket and maybe something like half the points available in that bracket to continue on, for example CHAMPION of loser bracket gets 100 points instead of 200.

For managing thoughts are no Q ever and always a Monday start, currently when we manage it takes up 2 weekends for each tournament , I like the idea of shorter and less demanding to manage.

My thoughts are a more relaxed style, many less strict rules, and a variety of events to keep things fresh. Actual swiss style once in a while, Round Robin, double and triple knockout are ones I see that could work, with a site I've been looking at for ideas here -----> https://matchplay.events/tournaments#pairing

1 deadline with no late entries would be good, say Wednesday-Friday at some given time, and MONDAY START, with SUNDAY OOP. A normal tournament can be run with up to 64 players and as few as 16, if 16 2 day RD1 and if 64 , instead of 2 day QF, make it into 1 extra round.

·
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I do not want at all to be competing for players with REGULAR TT, mostly those who play now and hopefully new to UTT players not from TT over time.

I guess first thing on the agenda I'd like to discuss is a variety of tournament styles, some weeks ROUND ROBIN, DOUBLE KNOCKOUT ,ETC.

SIMILAR to suicide, vote or just choose an event to play each week, and have a ranking system that @PetecoKraus has volunteered his skills to ! :bigclap:

I think even 1 REGULAR and 1 SPECIAL EVENT STYLE each week would not be out of the question if enough players , or just rotate event style 1 each monthly, or biweekly , with same kind of points value , top 16 get points, ROUND ROBIN will just be that top 8 advance to QF or 4 to SF I guess, and 8-16 get set amount of points. each style would need thought and set point values.

My thoughts are to avoid doubles, a lot more work, and always missing picks to deal with after players exit singles, really doubles is there so players can play longer each week, but that is naturally going to happen here in singles with ROUND ROBIN, or double knock out, where you could have a winners brackets and a losers bracket, giving all the losing RD1 players a second chance in another bracket and maybe something like half the points available in that bracket to continue on, for example CHAMPION of loser bracket gets 100 points instead of 200.

For managing thoughts are no Q ever and always a Monday start, currently when we manage it takes up 2 weekends for each tournament , I like the idea of shorter and less demanding to manage.

My thoughts are a more relaxed style, many less strict rules, and a variety of events to keep things fresh. Actual swiss style once in a while, Round Robin, double and triple knockout are ones I see that could work, with a site I've been looking at for ideas here -----> https://matchplay.events/tournaments#pairing

1 deadline with no late entries would be good, say Wednesday-Friday at some given time, and MONDAY START, with SUNDAY OOP. A normal tournament can be run with up to 64 players and as few as 16, if 16 2 day RD1 and if 64 , instead of 2 day QF, make it into 1 extra round.
Maybe what we can do, so that it can be more organized is to play different styles for different kind of tournaments.
For example, we all know it was really fun to play round robin at US Open this year. Maybe we can set all grand slams and master 1000 to be round robin. All ATP 500 to be swiss format (or something else) and ATP 250 tournaments have a regular knockout style.

I definitely agree about monday starts, having only 1 deadline and not playing doubles. All this will make life much easier for manages while not affecting the fun of the game.

I like the loser's bracket idea, but only for the regular knockout tournaments.

·
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe what we can do, so that it can be more organized is to play different styles for different kind of tournaments.
For example, we all know it was really fun to play round robin at US Open this year. Maybe we can set all grand slams and master 1000 to be round robin. All ATP 500 to be swiss format (or something else) and ATP 250 tournaments have a regular knockout style.

I definitely agree about monday starts, having only 1 deadline and not playing doubles. All this will make life much easier for manages while not affecting the fun of the game.

I like the loser's bracket idea, but only for the regular knockout tournaments.

That's a great idea, at US OPEN I was not very organized , just seen from last GS with missing picks they are very hard to run and have a competitive event , and I am now having the same problem in PARIS. Hopefully I can locate a formula to just put the names into and get the draw for each day, for each type, at the US OPEN I just manually tried to change the match ups daily.

Hoping to put @ZellKFF in charge of this process, as indicated has some experience with.

·
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
For tiebreak rules I'm thinking of incorporating the end game of TF scoring , which basically helps avoid countback , you would have the same process of WINNERS/SR/SET TO WINNER, followed by PTS scoring, if that doesn't still settle, i'd like to avoid CB follow by GD.

TF then has a closest to real score , which is simple to calculate and settles matches based on picks that round, only twist on TF is if losing PICK step is skipped, MTF doesn't operate that way on PTS1 which is TB1 on TF, so I would say still using closest to real score no matter the winner of the match.

ALSO would like to label Tiebreak something different , on MTF PTS1 on TF TB1 , would like a different label, to help realize a different league. Any suggestions?

·
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Another idea I would like to add is first come first serve basis. so players enter early and we can set the tournaments up, and not based on player ranking, first 32 players and we have an event, then cut off entries, and players can enter the next event once 1 is full.

We would keep a rankings system, but tournaments would be random draws with no preferential treatment if you are ranked 1st or your first tournament, sometimes this may mean top players face each other in RD1, and I see no problem with that, it's not like you ever see a FINAL of 1 vs 2, or even seeds very often.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Another idea I would like to add is first come first serve basis. so players enter early and we can set the tournaments up, and not based on player ranking, first 32 players and we have an event, then cut off entries, and players can enter the next event once 1 is full.

We would keep a rankings system, but tournaments would be random draws with no preferential treatment if you are ranked 1st or your first tournament, sometimes this may mean top players face each other in RD1, and I see no problem with that, it's not like you ever see a FINAL of 1 vs 2, or even seeds very often.
That's great! Is like Tennis Tipping but big events for all!!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
That's a great idea, at US OPEN I was not very organized , just seen from last GS with missing picks they are very hard to run and have a competitive event , and I am now having the same problem in PARIS. Hopefully I can locate a formula to just put the names into and get the draw for each day, for each type, at the US OPEN I just manually tried to change the match ups daily.

Hoping to put @ZellKFF in charge of this process, as indicated has some experience with.
Sorry for the late reply, my back is fucked :crying:

I will try my best to hep out or even host tournaments, depending how how the next few weeks go (if I need surgery, I'll have a much tougher time in the coming months). Will keep you posted :grin2:

·
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry for the late reply, my back is fucked :crying:

I will try my best to hep out or even host tournaments, depending how how the next few weeks go (if I need surgery, I'll have a much tougher time in the coming months). Will keep you posted :grin2:
UGH , Back issues are no fun, I didn't get surgery, but had 2 long years with problems, that I am very glad I have solved!

No worries, anytime you want to share an idea for format that could work, just suggest away ! :grin2:

Will start with some basic ideas, and add as we go if needed.,

·
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
HERE ARE MY THOUGHTS ON 250 UTT FORMAT

MONDAY
- UTT RD1 DAY 1/2 32 PLAYERS/ 8 MATCH OOP
TUESDAY-UTT RD1 DAY 2/2 32 PLAYERS/ 8 MATCH OOP
WEDNESDAY-UTT RD2 WINNERS/LOSER BRACKET 16 IN EACH/ 4 MATCH OOP
THURSDAY-UTT QF WINNERS/LOSER BRACKET 8 IN EACH/ 4 MATCH OOP
FRIDAY-UTT SF WINNERS/LOSER BRACKET 4 IN EACH /4 MATCH OOP
SATURDAY-UTT F DAY 1/2-WINNER/LOSER BRACKET 2 IN EACH/ 2 MATCH OOP
SUNDAY-UTT F DAY 2/2-WINNER/LOSER BRACKET 2 IN EACH /1 MATCH OOP

-Since we will not operate doubles, we can give more singles opportunities, 2 day round 1 when everyone plays can be a great strategy round, similar to doubles, except you don't have to worry about a partner not sending and can implement your own strategy. basing round 1 on all actual RD1 matches will have the best picks rewarded more then a 5 match OOP that can have the worst 5 matches in RD1 some weeks in ATP 250 events.

-losers bracket formed with those losing in RD1 and moving to rd2 in a different tournament bracket, so all players get minimum of 3 days of SINGLES play.

-RD2/QF/SF would all be 4 match OOP, would be best to use TF style with 3 of 4 TB matches each day, to settle with less chance of count back , or simply all PTS after RD1, since small OOP's

-losers bracket would have set amount of points to win, 50% of winners bracket seems like a good number

·
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This one will not be my friendliest rule, and in regular TT that has 225 players it is not required, in a smaller league it is pivotal that players all send , or at least the majority, otherwise tournaments are of poor quality.

-something like 2 strikes and you are out for a week, 3 strikes and out completely of UTT, by strikes I mean no sends :crying:

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
This one will not be my friendliest rule, and in regular TT that has 225 players it is not required, in a smaller league it is pivotal that players all send , or at least the majority, otherwise tournaments are of poor quality.

-something like 2 strikes and you are out for a week, 3 strikes and out completely of UTT, by strikes I mean no sends :crying:
Definitely agree with this one

·
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I could use some ideas on how to handle missing picks, with a 2 day rd1, we can't have players getting walkovers, and with MONDAY start there is no room for Q, and to keep player and manager friendly events, I like it best this way.

In managers league I just paired everyone up with no opponent, and used random picks if 1 player left without opponent, which I just used as the player who sent right after the player needing an opponent, wouldn't even look who :)

So then best losers advance, but if 3 or 4, then my loser bracket is missing players, so it's a tough spot to have a system for.

Could have some ALTS but I also don't like the risk of players not being able to playing.

Anyone has A good idea, I'm all ears :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
I could use some ideas on how to handle missing picks, with a 2 day rd1, we can't have players getting walkovers, and with MONDAY start there is no room for Q, and to keep player and manager friendly events, I like it best this way.

In managers league I just paired everyone up with no opponent, and used random picks if 1 player left without opponent, which I just used as the player who sent right after the player needing an opponent, wouldn't even look who :)

So then best losers advance, but if 3 or 4, then my loser bracket is missing players, so it's a tough spot to have a system for.

Could have some ALTS but I also don't like the risk of players not being able to playing.

Anyone has A good idea, I'm all ears :)
If missing pick for first day of tournament, I would vote for replacing first a missing pick by a late commitment (if any, after draw is made). Then, if no late commitment, winner will get a walkover (and no need to try to pair everyone up with another opponent in main draw). If missing pick for other days of tournament, I would vote for a walkover.

If there is a late pick (picks received after deadline reached), I would consider it equivalent to a missing pick.

Regarding loser bracket, I would vote for same rule. A late commitment can still enter loser bracket and replace a missing pick for first round of loser bracket. In all other cases, I would vote for a walkover.

·
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If missing pick for first day of tournament, I would vote for replacing first a missing pick by a late commitment (if any, after draw is made). Then, if no late commitment, winner will get a walkover (and no need to try to pair everyone up with another opponent in main draw). If missing pick for other days of tournament, I would vote for a walkover.

If there is a late pick (picks received after deadline reached), I would consider it equivalent to a missing pick.

Regarding loser bracket, I would vote for same rule. A late commitment can still enter loser bracket and replace a missing pick for first round of loser bracket. In all other cases, I would vote for a walkover.
More then anything I believe in avoiding first round walkovers if it's to be a good quality event, say for example 26 of 32 send, and we have 2 day RD1, 6 players without an opponent for 2 days, doesn't make for a great tournament, added the chances someone gets a Rd2 walkover, sometimes players will be in a QF without winning a match. This is what we now often see in ASIAN challengers in TT.

It will be my focus to have an opponent for everyone , RD1 that everyone has waited to play, needs to be a good quality round, with this format and taking underdog day 1 or 2, there is lots of strategic possibilities , and it should be the best and toughest round , so everyone needs an opponent.

Yes no sends after Round 1 will be best to get a walkover, once everyone gets started, it's generally not an issue, other then minimal times.

Thanks again for more input, keep thinking on ideas to have no RD1 walkovers would be appreciated. It may be maintaining a certain amount of ALTS, or other options , not sure.

That coupled with DIFFS always timely will be 2 major focuses , things I feel makes the game best!

Deadline to send will be before start of play unlike TT, probably 20 minutes, I'm toying with 10-30. I want players to be able to log onto thread and know diffs will be there at start of play every time , for many it's frustrating coming back checking and not knowing when diffs will be posted.

I will set the standard before the first event, and it will be a hard deadline thus after. Players sending in the last minutes, really aren't trying very hard, so I'm not very concerned about losing out on there picks, and it's only usually 1-2 player in an event at most that send in the last minutes, and often none, the manager is just waiting for the deadline with missing picks, same will apply at a deadline a bit before time of play, it will just help the diffs be at the top of the hour.

·
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I really haven't been able to come up with a great solution for MISSING PICKS , I will have to play it by ear as I go early on, see the send level and how much of an issue.

It will also highly depend on number of commitments, it would be nice to have some ALTS for each event, and minimal amount of juggling the draw.

for starters I will use any ALTS to replace Missing picks, and if still missing picks I will pair up players so they have a first round opponent, and advance the best loser overall to the next round if that situation occurs.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts