Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dimitrov: "I don’t know how to hit a double-handed backhand, I never tried it"

Grigor, you were born in Haskovo, there you started tennis. Lets turn a bit to those moments.
Yes, I started to play at 3-4 years old, with my father, Dimitar, who is a tennis coach. My mother, Maria, was a volleyball player, so sport is running in my blood. I had no doubt about the road I was going to take. At start you have no idea if you will make it or not, you just want to compete, to be there. Then it becomes a profession.

What kind of courts were in your hometown?
Clay courts. I was raised on this surface. In fact, until 12 years old I did not know what hard (surface) is. Afterwards, my game went more on fast surfaces. I always tried to make things different, try something different. This is how I am.

You are the first player in your country who obtains important performances. It’s this a bit of a burden?

Sincerely, I’m not going home too often. When I have the opportunity I go, like It was recently with Davis Cup. I stayed there a few days before going to Greece (Greece vs Bulgary in DC). It was something good for me and for the team. It’s a lot of attention you need to keep with, but its an aspect you need to be at peace, to understand what you’re doing well and wrong, why you’re like this and not different. The most important it is how you are like a person, some change maybe but I want to stay the same.

You left home at an early age, 13. How did you managed?

For me it was something exciting. I was thinking about being free, that I’m escaping a bit of my parents supervision. It was insane but perfect! This feeling was temporary because I realized I was good in what I was doing, but also neglected things. All of this being said, I was playing well. It’s a period in time I will remember all my life, special tournaments that I won and are unforgettable, but also all kind of events, things I passed through and mixing in my mind. There are so many and different that I could write a book about, altough I think it’s to early. Maybe later, when all of them settle down.

You went through many tennis academies in the world, you had different coaches. What you learned from each of these experiences?
At first I loved to explore. California, Spain, France, Sweden, again USA, I learned a lot from different coaches, different mentalities, I was moving a lot from a place to another one and this hurt me a bit because I could not find my consistency. It is being said that moving often it’s the second thing, after depression, that affects you. It was at the same time a big plus, because I assimilated different things. I worked with seven coaches until now, I learned a lot and now, finally, after all the experiences, I know what I want.

As a junior, you had great results, you won grand slams. What was the hardest thing in game transition to seniors?
For me all was hard. Mentally I thought I was closing in, but, in fact, I wasn’t even close and physically I wasn’t OK at all. It took me a lot of time to define my game, but I know it’s important to stagnate, not only to rise up. I think about juniors like Rafa, like Roger, that have 100 weeks, or even more than 200 as number 1 in the world. It’s something incredible, how much effort it must be! Moreover, tennis has changed, players of 29-30 play at their best level, and me, at 23 - that I’m going to celebrate next month, only last year I started to be a competitor for them.

How is to be one of the youngest guys on the top?
I hope I’ll have a long life in tennis. I don’t have brothers or sisters and I’m the only bulgarian on the tour at high level. Sometimes I feel alone. The other players go out on dinner with their fellow countryman, they keep them close, but this is the career I chose. You’re testing your mental, you need to find the space to separate the good things from the bad ones and to share your impressions. It’s hard to find the right balance, but, with time, the feeling of insecurity will show up. It’s important to stay focused on what you really want, and I want to climb in the rankings.

The last question is about your single handed backhand, a rare shot on the tour. How you got it?
From my father. Actually, from him I learned everything I know, all the technique. I don’t know how to hit a double-handed backhand, I never tried it.

extract from another interview (treizecizero.ro)
How do you feel when you’re called Baby Federer?
Its an aspect from the past. I’ve heard it for a long period of time. It isn't nice to hear talking about it. I think I proved to myself, not once, not twice. At least, I was able to erase this nickname from the wall. And I feel good about this. It was funny, when I was hearing it, but at the same time, it got proportions, and the consequences weren’t the best ones. But now, it is much better. Everything is from the past. And I’m sure, as we all know, it doesn’t exist anymore.

http://www.gsp.ro/sporturi/tenis/favoritul-principal-de-la-brd-trophy-se-destainuie-grigor-dimitrov-tot-ce-stiu-am-invatat-de-la-tatal-meu-424331.html

·
Banned
5,616 Posts
Re: Dimitrov: "I don’t know how to hit a double-handed backhand, I never tried it"

Should try, because your onehander is a big big joke :superlol:. Even Olderer's shankhand looks like a GOAT shot comparing to your schiavone-like moonballing halflobs :haha:
But i honestly think he's just not talented and smart enough to hit it. Fed is playing with OHBH so Dimug hasn't a material to make another bad copy :shrug:

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
Re: Dimitrov: "I don’t know how to hit a double-handed backhand, I never tried it"

Should try, because your onehander is a big big joke :superlol:. Even Olderer's shankhand looks like a GOAT shot comparing to your schiavone-like moonballing halflobs :haha:
But i honestly think he's just not talented and smart enough to hit it. Fed is playing with OHBH so Dimug hasn't a material to make another bad copy :shrug:
Rosol would handle variety better if he had a one-hander

·
Registered
1,640 Posts

Excellent analysis.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts

There was a Harvard sports science and kinesiology study done that found that the increase in the likelihood of hitting a two-handed backhand directly correlated with decrease in penis size.

These are stone cold hard facts, look it up.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts

:facepalm:you say something like this in every thread. don't you have anything different to say?

·
Registered
3,010 Posts

I can help you with that Grigor. To hit a double handed backhand, what you do is, hold your racquet with 2 hands.

You're Welcome.

·
Registered
17,365 Posts

Kind of a weird thing to highlight from that interview. Interesting revelation, I suppose. I have a one-handed backhand and I only recently tried to hit a two-hander. Definitely more control, but there's no way I'd switch.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts

From his interview, sounds humble and generous to me.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts

There was a Harvard sports science and kinesiology study done that found that the increase in the likelihood of hitting a two-handed backhand directly correlated with decrease in penis size.

These are stone cold hard facts, look it up.
Yeah, I remember that one. It makes perfect sense too, when you think about it.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts

Except for Nadal, the all time greats had one handed backhands. It is an important reason Federer has been playing so well for so long. Oh and by the way, have you been watching any of Roger's matches lately? His OHB, which has always been very underrated by his fans, is doing very well.

·
Bring it Home
20,320 Posts

Except for Nadal, the all time greats had one handed backhands. It is an important reason Federer has been playing so well for so long. Oh and by the way, have you been watching any of Roger's matches lately? His OHB, which has always been very underrated by his fans, is doing very well.
Borg also had a two handed backhand. So as Agassi.

This discussions are going nowhere btw, no player can change style of backhand as a pro. It's a matter of adaptability and you discover what is best for you usually in a young age.

The two stokes has its pros and cons.

OHBD - further range, easiest to apply power, less stable, tougher in ROS.
2HBD - more stable, better in ROS, hardest to apply power (shoulder rotation needed).

·
Registered
6,814 Posts

Sorry Grisha, the Baby Fed name got only erased when you dated Sharapova, You became Sharapova's boyfriend, bitch, etc.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts

Borg also had a two handed backhand. So as Agassi.

This discussions are going nowhere btw, no player can change style of backhand as a pro. It's a matter of adaptability and you discover what is best for you usually in a young age.

The two stokes has its pros and cons.

OHBD - further range, easiest to apply power, less stable, tougher in ROS.
2HBD - more stable, better in ROS, hardest to apply power (shoulder rotation needed).
For some reason, I never think of Borg when it comes to all time greats. Agassi was not an all time great.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts