Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Novak Djokovic 2.0 arrived in 2011 with a mission. One of the most dominant stretches of high quality tennis. Deadly return of serve and backhand combined with deep consistent forehand, very good serve and unreal mental toughness. Even his net play was good.

2012 starts well for him beating Murphy and Nadal back to back in epic 5 setters. FO was decent as he was improving every year against Nadal there. Didn't play too well against Federer in Wimbledon but not much to worry about since grass is his worst surface. Despite losing to Murphy at USO 2012, he ended 2012 with the No1 ranking beating Fed at WTF.

2013 Australian Open, beats Murphy in the final after surviving the epic battle against Stan. Things looking good so far. Roland Garros 2013, has a heartbreaking loss against Nadal in the Semis. And since then Novak has not been the same player. Runs into Peak Hardcourtdal playing his best hardcourt tennis and loses USO to him as well.

If you had to compare peak Novak of 2011 with the current one what at the main differences game wise? Or it is simply a mental issue that he can't get sorted? Discuss :wavey:

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
He simply grinded for his life in 2011, and sooner or later he eventually burnt out. His game remained one dimensional grinder, and that was it. His net game didn't change, all his passing shots were cross-court, and that became too predictable. His aggressive game wasn't as aggressive anymore.

Maybe he's overachieved a little bit too much, but he deserved all 6 he won.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Hmm.... Tbh I think game wise he's the same, probably a better 1st serve, physically stronger and fitter and also slightly better volleyer. Not a significant difference imo. However MENTAL wise is the huge difference he's nowhere close to the same of 2011 and it has cost him

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
His mental game and his physical game have declined again sadly. The two things are linked. When he had the confidence in 2011 he was pretty much unbeatable, but sadly he has lost that. No one expected him to repeat that year, only Roger has ever done something as crazy as that twice, but it's sad to see how weak he has become mentally.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
It's rather mental. He was the mentally toughest guy on Tour in 2011 and first part of 2012. After that he transformed into a Slam choker.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hmm.... Tbh I think game wise he's the same, probably a better 1st serve, physically stronger and fitter and also slightly better volleyer. Not a significant difference imo. However MENTAL wise is the huge difference he's nowhere close to the same of 2011 and it has cost him
So is the mental issue mainly caused by losing that SF to Nadal at RG?

I personally feel aside from the mental problem he's a little reluctant to hit the BHDTL and has lost some power on his forehand.

·
Registered
40,645 Posts
So is the mental issue mainly caused by losing that SF to Nadal at RG?

I personally feel aside from the mental problem he's a little reluctant to hit the BHDTL and last lost some power on his forehand.

When your mentally not at your peak,you lose your confidence in your shots:shrug:His BHDTL had improved a bit this year,it was a no show last year.:(I feel he's one big win away from regaining his psychological strength.:)

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When your mentally not at your peak,you lose your confidence in your shots:shrug:His BHDTL had improved a bit this year,it was a no show last year.:(I feel he's one big win away from regaining his psychological strength.:)

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
Agreed :wavey:

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
He is maybe playing with more pressure since his run in 2011. Mentally, he seems a bit weaker. Physically also, some cracks have appeared. His aggressive plays seem more error-prone, and perhaps therefore he shys away from a consistently aggressive game.

There is not too much wrong though - by definition, a player cannot always be at his peak level, and I do not think his decline has been very severe.

You also have to look at his rivals. Nadal has adjusted his game after the losses in 2011, and Murray became more of a threat, at least in 2012/13. Wawrinka had a purple patch. It is not as if Djokovic has been beaten very often though.

·
Registered
904 Posts
In 2011 he didn't choke, since 2013 he's become the biggest Choker, it's the main difference.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts