Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Diego is really patetic in World tour. And I don't see any changes for him (as he's not Coric). Must he continue play in main tour or just must stuck in good Challengers with big points (50+).

He can become Top 40 just playng in challengers but he will be out Top 100 soon playing in main tour.

What is better for him?

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
He's 5,7 he doesn't have the weapons to win many Main tour Matches. Diego was 125 in the world when he was 17 four year later he was 113 he found his level he done well to climb near the top 40-50 but for how much I like his game he lacks fire power.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
53,560 Posts
Unfortunately for his height (and so the serve). He has to work much harder than other players to keep up with them and doesn't get the benefit of free pts. And then he meets the likes of RF when he's had a decent win at IW.

On the bright side, he's doing better this season than a 1 win Gulbis at least, who actually has a serve (or not) :rolleyes:

·
F***ing have it
17,599 Posts
He should use a longer racquet, like Chang or Bartoli if i'm not wrong

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
He's 5,7 he doesn't have the weapons to win many Main tour Matches. Diego was 125 in the world when he was 17 four year later he was 113 he found his level he done well to climb near the top 40-50 but for how much I like his game he lacks fire power.
No he wasn't. His climb in the ranks came solely off the back of his challenger results last year. He was nowhere near the radar in 2009-2010.

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
I'll get hate for saying this but this is one better thing about the WTA - any size can be potentially competitive. Throughout the past decade for instance, you had wildly fluctuating heights in champions, from midget Henin to lanky Sharapova to in-between Serena able to win slams and be #1. On the ATP, Ferrer, Nishikori and Davydenko were good, near-great players but are/were always taken apart by a 'bigger and badder' player eventually and none have been close to #1. IDK, I just think the idea of 'you're under 6ft? What's the point?' is kinda sad.

Anyway, Estrella is proof you can be short (he only beats Diego by 3cm) and have a decent enough serve (as was Henin on the women's side) - we just need someone younger than 34 to take up that mantle perhaps :p. I don't believe being 'too short' is going to stop you from having a good serve necessarily, because as said already Estrella's is decent.

·
53,560 Posts
I'll get hate for saying this but this is one better thing about the WTA - any size can be potentially competitive. Throughout the past decade for instance, you had wildly fluctuating heights in champions, from midget Henin to lanky Sharapova to in-between Serena able to win slams and be #1. On the ATP, Ferrer, Nishikori and Davydenko were good, near-great players but are/were always taken apart by a 'bigger and badder' player eventually and none have been close to #1. IDK, I just think the idea of 'you're under 6ft? What's the point?' is kinda sad.

Anyway, Estrella is proof you can be short (he only beats Diego by 3cm) and have a decent enough serve (as was Henin on the women's side) - we just need someone younger than 34 to take up that mantle perhaps :p. I don't believe being 'too short' is going to stop you from having a good serve necessarily, because as said already Estrella's is decent.
You can have a decent serve for height, but it's still tricky to win as many free pts with it, evident from ace count, or service winner count. So definitely more pressure on these players when it comes to holding serve, because a few pts here and there could mean a big difference in a match. There's no reason to suggest they cannot compete however, as the names you mentioned, alongside the likes of Dudi Sela, Olivier Rochus, Michael Chang, Hewitt and Agassi were all sub 6 foot yet had decent to great games. Of course the catch is without as much power in the serve, you need some other components to work well, such as return, net game/volley, footwork and relative baseline consistency. And you have to work very hard. Nishikori would be nowhere near as successful as he is now without the mental conditioning (and the physical is starting to catch up now).

Diego's at the lower end of the range at 1.70 m so I can understand his struggles. Having a few more cm would definitely give a bit of a boost. I quite like Diego's game as with another shorter player Berankis. Both are awesome in their own way and have heart to play among some giants. If anyone says players like him shouldn't play on ATP, get rid of the servebots first and foremost.

·
Registered
22,598 Posts
You don't see him turning it around because he's not Coric. That's a new one.

Not because you think he's no good, not because you think he has no talent, but simply because he's not Coric.

·
53,560 Posts
BUMP.
First QF on ATP tour for Diego losing just 5 games in two matches vs Kavcic and JMelzer :worship:

·
Banned
1,221 Posts
In your face Malvin!

·
Registered
564 Posts
Man i respect Diego mainly because how short he is, and how much harder he has to work compared to the guys around him in the rankings to keep his position.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You don't see him turning it around because he's not Coric. That's a new one.

Not because you think he's no good, not because you think he has no talent, but simply because he's not Coric.
No!! Diego is even better than Coric in any aspects of game! BUT he didn't beat even Top 35 player yet! Coric beat many of them already!

Coric is very great like Diego is TOO. But Diego can even be better than Coric in future if he will learn hold serve.

Coric and Diego are equal in talant but Coric just found MORE in own game already. Diego is in searching I think.

·
53,560 Posts
No!! Diego is even better than Coric in any aspects of game! BUT he didn't beat even Top 35 player yet! Coric beat many of them already!

Coric is very great like Diego is TOO. But Diego can even be better than Coric in future if he will learn hold serve.

Coric and Diego are equal in talant but Coric just found MORE in own game already. Diego is in searching I think.
Again Coric has advantage of serve to start. And of the wins against top 35 (3), his wins against Nadal and Murray I do not consider as 'true' wins in the sense both of them were not playing that well at all. Almost anyone would have beaten Murray that day. Nadal attended Basel just because of the commitment but closed the season to treat his appendicitis (even Lopez beat Nadal). Murray was beyond bad in his Dubai match, only winning 5 return pts that match. It's also not so difficult when you are playing a defensive style of tennis. The only other player in top 35 he beat this year is Chardy, who we know is quite mentally weak can play poorly in spades. Coric's 'found his game' because he is innately defensive like Murray. However, a few of his wins have been 'lucky' eg. Baghdatis and AHM hurting themselves in a TB.

Diego is more an offensive counterpuncher so I wouldn't be surprised it might take him a while to get comfortable.
Diego's wins haven't been terrible though. He has posted a tough win over Janowicz (who used to be top 20) earlier in the year and also beat Garcia-Lopez in Auckland (who was ranked 36 at the time and would win two titles at Zagreb and Bucharest), and took a set off Kevin Anderson in R1 at the Australian Open, winning at least 4 games in the remaining sets.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts