Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,169 Posts
Re: Diego Schwartzman Appreciation Thread

He's great for his size, also fun to watch. But he can only challenge the big guys on clay (I know he beat Thiem on hardcourt, but that seems more like a case of bad play from Domi). That's why clay is the best surface.

·
Registered
4,566 Posts

GOAT thread. :yeah:

His lack of physique means he's often on the back foot through no fault of his own, but he does also have a lot of offensive intent and often bosses the point against much bigger and stronger opponents which is always fun to see. Hard not to respect his hustle point after point, set after set, match after match. He seems pretty solid mentally too, which is all the harder when you don't get many cheapies off serve. He probably has the lowest difference in serve and return games on tour, which creates some interesting scenarios. He's hard to put away even if you have a decent serve, as he gets a lot of balls back and piles the pressure on. But when he's a break up it doesn't really feel like a significant lead, and he can't just casually serve out a match like a 6'1+ guy might. I'm not even sure you could call it a choke if he ever failed to serve out a match, unless it involved him missing simple shots (did miss one such shot vs Thiem, but Domi returned the favour).

·
Registered
29,207 Posts

He's great for his size, also fun to watch. But he can only challenge the big guys on clay (I know he beat Thiem on hardcourt, but that seems more like a case of bad play from Domi). That's why clay is the best surface.
Because it's Schwartzman preferred surface? Sounds legit

·
Premium Member
7,169 Posts

Because it's Schwartzman preferred surface? Sounds legit
Because a good serve is not an absolute necessity to hold your ground against good players. And it's harder for midgets like him to develop one. On faster surfaces he can't show any of his excelent ground game against big servers in the return games.

·
Registered
29,207 Posts

Because a good serve is not an absolute necessity to hold your ground against good players. And it's harder for midgets like him to develop one. On faster surfaces he can't show any of his excelent ground game against big servers in the return games.
Obviously. That doesn't make the surface better though, it's just your personal preference.

I myself find clay breakfests where the serve gets completely nullified pretty boring. Feels like WTA

Reactions: Awka Liwen

·
Registered
21,771 Posts

Serve is a pretty hard skill to master and it's also talent. Just because a lot of props make it look easy doesn't mean it is.

·
#TeamThiem
3,542 Posts

Diego is a very nice guy :yeah:

Hopefully he wins it all :lol:

·
Registered
9,250 Posts

What he lacks in height, he compensates in heart. If so called "GenUseless" had his heart, Big 4 would've never been so big.

·
The Last Mohican
24,521 Posts

Istanbul made SF having cruised through first two rounds dropping just 5 games against Kravchuk and J. Melzer combined. He took it to Federer and had Slade screaming for his life.
He never played so well since that match. His BH was at Djokovic-level and he never missed a shot.

But still, it's good to see a short male have any kind of success in tennis. Too many young all-serve giraffes in the game.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
53,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #36

oh yes, another big win, first over a slam champion and a top 5 player.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts

He makes a bit of a jerk impression on me with his gestics and antics to cheer on the crowd after his opponents has double faults.

I hope he gets beaten and outaces by Cilic next time again :lol:

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts

Is the dream run going to continue? Obviously I don't know, but I'm sure that no one will forget Diego's play at the USO 2017 :worship:

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
53,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Diego Schwartzman Appreciation Thread: Schwartzman enters top 20 on Monday!!!

It is confirmed that Diego Schwartzman will officially enter the top 20 in the ATP rankings the coming Monday, following a maiden run to the Rio final at ATP500 level. He provisionally sits at #19, but could rise as high as #18, should he win the title, in turn leapfrogging one of the giants of the game, Isner. This is a remarkable achievement for the diminuitive 5 ft 7 Argentinian, who proves that anything is possible with hard work and application. What he lacks in height, he makes up for in other departments and clearly proves that small guys can have big tools.

So let's all congratulate Diego, affectionately known as El Peque (the Small One), on a remarkable and admirable achievement, that could hardly have been believed in 2015. In doing so, he also sets a new career target and eclipses the CHR of Rochus (#24) and Sela (#29), also known for their persistence as some of the shortest players on tour. Of course, it only gets tougher from here, but Diego will now benefit from slam seeding and possibly softer draws.

Haqj7z45t_w

I believe in miracle...

JIN36NweL6I

21 - 40 of 64 Posts