Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
53,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Diego - the small man with a big heart of a champion, and a very gifted tennis player

I think this forum is sometimes too concerned about what players can do against the big 4 and often or even despise alienate some very good players who cannot compete with them because of various limitations.

However I want people to be aware of just how good Diego Schwartzman is as a player who lifts well above his weight. His game is one of the best considering talent to size ratio. He has a good balance of maintaining aggression and also defensive play, very quick and resourceful. The only shame is his serve is a weakness, but he'll often give you hell as a returner.

I always knew he was very talented, and he did well to break top 70 back in 2015 on the top of some very strong clay challenger results, but I wasn't sure if he could break the top 50. Malvinluisandy considered Diego as too weak to play on the main tour and should have just played challengers. http://www.menstennisforums.com/2-general-messages/620490-diego-schwartzman-must-continue-play-atp-main-tour-2.html

However since then, Diego has continued to steadily improve and prove his value on the tour. It's clear he'd be GOAT if he was allowed to play on the WTA. :devil:
Here are some notable moments:

Istanbul made SF having cruised through first two rounds dropping just 5 games against Kravchuk and J. Melzer combined. He took it to Federer and had Slade screaming for his life.

http://www.menstennisforums.com/2-general-messages/625609-istanbul-sf-1-roger-federer-def-8-diego-sebastian-schwartzman-2-6-6-2-7-5-a.html

After which I wrote in admiration:

Officially a fan of Diego and his Schwartz power :worship:

A great match and I thought Diego was better for the most part actually, but Federer's experience got him through it. I doubt Federer will see Diego the same way again. He's got the heart of a competitor! He proved a very worthy opponent and I'm sure the crowd loved him for that.

As to those calling him a mug for trying his best against Federer, know that you will NEVER achieve what Diego has done! A 'routine' 6-1 6-2 victory for Federer turned out to be a stiff contest with Diego winning a 6-2 set, and holding serve for as long as he could in the final set. He also saved many BPs in the process and a MP. This guy has real BALLs, something I can't say about many of us here. Considering he has a 'WTA' level serve, he gave Federer a fight that belies his stature, and he can stand proud today. He did not resort to time wasting, racket smashing, shouting, swearing or complaining but got on with the job like a seasoned pro. This is why I have come to admire and respect Diego Schwartzman whose sportmanship and entertaining game are on par. Having beat previous three opponents in style, this is a great ending for him even though he lost. I truly believe he has greater things to come.

So what if he can't bring the same against Nadal or Djokovic, the moonballs and monster wall? Cilic didn't even need to beat Djokovic and suddenly is a GS champ.

To Diego and beyond...:angel:
Of course the came French Open and Diego had Gael Monfils on the ropes, who survived in five sets.

Istanbul again. Fed virtual bagels to Tomic and Dzumhur, after saving MP, and then fed a true bagel to Dimitrov in the final despite Grigor having several leads and a 5-2 second set lead. Wins his first ATP tour title for his efforts and gives us that moment. :eek:

Antwerp - makes final after ousting homeboy Goffin after Goffin served for the match saving 2 MPs. Downed by Gasquet but he made it competitive needing a TB for Gasquet to close the second set.

Takes a set off Nishikori twice on clay in Buenos Aires and Madrid.

Takes 2 sets off Djokovic at RG but ultimately runs out of gas

The crowd gives him a major standing ovation for his efforts.

And now, beats Dominic Thiem at Montreal saving god knows how many MPs. First top 10 win :cheerleader:

These are select matches where he took it to some of the best, but generally, he's beaten a lot of good players over the past 3 years, even those much bigger than he is...

Delbonis
Ferrer
Bellucci
Simon
Kukushkin
Dzumhur
Verdasco
Muller
Dimitrov
Bautista Agut
Cuevas
Tomic
Goffin
Querrey
Mahut
Khachanov
Bellucci
Thiem

That is supremely impressive and I hope the forum can get behind this little champ with a big heart :worship:
The Olivier Rochus of this generation (but possibly better!)

Right now his live ranking is at a career high #34, but with Djokovic and Wawrinka out, he may secure a seed for the US Open. Let's hope so! Good luck DieGOAT (or DieGOD)

Wins Rio without dropping a set! First ATP 500 title

DwpveXAecSQ

Also makes AO R16 (l. to Nadal but takes a set), and makes his second slam QF at RG, rallying from 0-2 and break down in set 3 and 4 to triumph over Kevin Anderson 1-6 2-6 7-5 7-6(0) 6-2! This victory adds a 2nd top 10 scalp at slam level, and 3rd overall (after wins over Thiem, Cilic).

·
6,479 Posts
Re: Diego Schwartzman deserves more recognition

Yeah he could become one of the shortest top 30 players in modern times, since Olivier Rochus, remembering the likes of Ken Rosewall and Rod Laver were barely bigger than him back in the day.
Certainly a determined player who does not let this, (being small, less free points on serve etc) worry him.

·
Registered
227 Posts

A great little homage you made there for Diego, thank you! I think Nishioka might also be something for you if he comes back from injury.

·
53,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Yeah he could become one of the shortest top 30 players in modern times, since Olivier Rochus, remembering the likes of Ken Rosewall and Rod Laver were barely bigger than him back in the day.
Certainly a determined player who does not let this, (being small, less free points on serve etc) worry him.
The other day he beat Opelka who is I think listed at 211 cm.
The shame for me is that I hardly know anyone on the forum who would call themselves Diego fans. We have plenty of Thiem supporters, but for Diego, I can't really name a poster and that shouldn't be the case.

·
Registered
6,042 Posts

Diego - the small man with a big heart of a champion, and a very gifted tennis player

I think this forum is sometimes too concerned about what players can do against the big 4 and often or even despise alienate some very good players who cannot compete with them because of various limitations.

However I want people to be aware of just how good Diego Schwartzman is as a player who lifts well above his weight. His game is one of the best considering talent to size ratio. He has a good balance of maintaining aggression and also defensive play, very quick and resourceful. The only shame is his serve is a weakness, but he'll often give you hell as a returner.

I always knew he was very talented, and he did well to break top 70 back in 2015 on the top of some very strong clay challenger results, but I wasn't sure if he could break the top 50. Malvinluisandy considered Diego as too weak to play on the main tour and should have just played challengers. http://www.menstennisforums.com/2-general-messages/620490-diego-schwartzman-must-continue-play-atp-main-tour-2.html

However since then, Diego has continued to steadily improve and prove his value on the tour. It's clear he'd be GOAT if he was allowed to play on the WTA. :devil:
Here are some notable moments:

Istanbul made SF having cruised through first two rounds dropping just 5 games against Kravchuk and J. Melzer combined. He took it to Federer and had Slade screaming for his life.

http://www.menstennisforums.com/2-general-messages/625609-istanbul-sf-1-roger-federer-def-8-diego-sebastian-schwartzman-2-6-6-2-7-5-a.html

After which I wrote in admiration:

Of course the came French Open and Diego had Gael Monfils on the ropes, who survived in five sets.

Istanbul again. Fed virtual bagels to Tomic and Dzumhur, after saving MP, and then fed a true bagel to Dimitrov in the final despite Grigor having several leads and a 5-2 second set lead. Wins his first ATP tour title for his efforts and gives us that moment. :eek:

Antwerp - makes final after ousting homeboy Goffin after Goffin served for the match saving 2 MPs. Downed by Gasquet but he made it competitive needing a TB for Gasquet to close the second set.

Takes a set off Nishikori twice on clay in Buenos Aires and Madrid.

Takes 2 sets off Djokovic at RG but ultimately runs out of gas

The crowd gives him a major standing ovation for his efforts.

And now, beats Dominic Thiem at Montreal saving god knows how many MPs. First top 10 win :cheerleader:

These are select matches where he took it to some of the best, but generally, he's beaten a lot of good players over the past 3 years, even those much bigger than he is...

Delbonis
Ferrer
Bellucci
Simon
Kukushkin
Dzumhur
Verdasco
Muller
Dimitrov
Bautista Agut
Cuevas
Tomic
Goffin
Querrey
Mahut
Khachanov
Bellucci
Thiem

That is supremely impressive and I hope the forum can get behind this little champ with a big heart :worship:
The Olivier Rochus of this generation (but possibly better!)

Right now his live ranking is at a career high #34, but with Djokovic and Wawrinka out, he may secure a seed for the US Open. Let's hope so! Good luck DieGOAT (or DieGOD)
Spot on, now somebody give him that famous Messi growth programme:devil:

·
53,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

A great little homage you made there for Diego, thank you! I think Nishioka might also be something for you if he comes back from injury.
Nishioka is also very talented as well. Moves and anticipates well. Had a great run at Indian Wells, that win over Berdych was quite something (also beat Ivo) and had MPs on Wawrinka I think (serve for the match twice anyhow). He also made Nadal work at Acapulco. I think he has an even harder time than Diego because his style is a bit more 'grindier' in a way, he seldom attempts to blast the opponent off the court but put them into awkward positions.

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts

Is this the Diego appreciation thread?

If there were weight classes in tennis, he'd immediately be in the top 4. Definitely punches above his weight, and is this generations' Rochus.

Reactions: MWW and Orka_n

·
Registered
3,874 Posts

I know there aren't many Diego tards but I think he's one of the most well liked players here. There's a general appreciation for his success despite his limitations. Nobody to my knowledge says anything bad about him. Now of course, that could change when he breaks into the top 10 and starts disrupting the big 3/4/5

·
Registered
29,206 Posts

Yes, you could actually rename this thread "Diego Schwartzman official appreciation thread", that would be more fitting considering how much time you put into that original post. :) Good stuff.

I like Diego.

Reactions: MWW

·
23,494 Posts

To be fair he's not on my full radar yet (like, I am not sure if I'm as interested to watch him compared to say Nishikori or Goffin, which have similar styles like him), but it does seem he's showing a bit more spunk this year, believing he could break through the Top 30 and not be a journeyman (at least on my definition). Other than the Djokovic RG match this year, there was this one impressive Bo3 that I forgot which he played like a madman at times from the baseline (maybe it was the Nishikori one?). I do agree he seems to be growing quite fast (no pun intended :lol:) as he was #72 this time last year. Turning 25 next week actually, he has to be hitting his prime now, and could be seeded for USO, and be a potential solid player for Argentina after Del Po.

·
Registered
27,241 Posts

Imagine what big Diego could have achieved with Nishikori's physique.

Reactions: MWW and Cloren

·
Registered
1,383 Posts

When asked how he deals with playing against guys who are usually so much taller than he is (a question he must get all the time), Schwartzman responded that he's used to it because that's the way it's been for him ever since he picked up a racket. When he first started playing, he was the shortest kid on the court. All throughout his junior career, he was always the shortest player. The same through Futures, Challengers, and now the ATP tour. If he had a complex about his (lack of) height, he probably would have quit the sport a long time ago.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Re: Diego Schwartzman Appreciation Thread

Great post @MWW :worship:

Diego is indeed one hell of a returner. It's no coincidence he leads the tour in both return points won % and breaks made % (yes, he is better than Murray and Djokovic in that regard).

·
53,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

To be fair he's not on my full radar yet (like, I am not sure if I'm as interested to watch him compared to say Nishikori or Goffin, which have similar styles like him), but it does seem he's showing a bit more spunk this year, believing he could break through the Top 30 and not be a journeyman (at least on my definition). Other than the Djokovic RG match this year, there was this one impressive Bo3 that I forgot which he played like a madman at times from the baseline (maybe it was the Nishikori one?). I do agree he seems to be growing quite fast (no pun intended :lol:) as he was #72 this time last year. Turning 25 next week actually, he has to be hitting his prime now, and could be seeded for USO, and be a potential solid player for Argentina after Del Po.
Some people forget some of the wins he had during the clay season. Before meeting Nadal at MC, he beat RBA and Dimitrov's conqueror, Struff 6-3 6-0. Then demolished Ramos in Madrid 6-1 6-3 (Ramos was MC finalist!). Kei understandably felt rusty having just returned to the tour from wrist injury but Diego worked that 6-1 set well and saved BPs in three games in that set, before Kei switched a gear and turned it around, but not before Diego saved 4 MPs on Kei's serve! Also beat Lajovic, Delbonis and Bellucci on clay.

·
Banned
9,669 Posts

Is that thread really necessary . Plenty f players on tour don't get the respect and appreciation they deserve on here but we aren't starting threads for all f them are we?

Doesn't this belong more in his forum

·
Super Moderator
7,623 Posts

·
Registered
12,123 Posts

Great thread for a great player : I remember Fed's eyes in admiration after their first match already in Paris and even more after their second one in Istanbul.

Since then there has been admiration in many other players' eyes.

And he often gets great crowd's support, no matter the country. Not many players who can bring such cheering to them.

Thierry Champion, ancient French player and current Paire's and Gasquet's coach, has also been impressed and calls him "the bulldozer"

·
Registered
105 Posts

Is that thread really necessary . Plenty f players on tour don't get the respect and appreciation they deserve on here but we aren't starting threads for all f them are we?

Doesn't this belong more in his forum
You don't have to participate if you don't like it. And you are free to start a thread about any player that you think is under appreciated, given that you ain't trolling.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts