Mens Tennis Forums banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
One thing I don't understand why is the stadium 1 half empty if it was sold out. I'd kill to be there. Why would people buy tickets and not show up?
Same as the US Open, it's a ton of fun to go to the outer courts and be like 3 feet from the players. Whenever there is an American player or a match that is actually worth watching going in the stadium it's always packed.

·
Registered
17,866 Posts
On a day like today, there is nothing going on outside stadium 1 except for a very few practice sessions of the players still in the draw (meh, they probably all practiced early in the morning anyway). If you have a ticket for today, your choices are... sit in your seat, hang out in your luxury box in the shade (if you have access to one), go out to get some food and watch on the big screen, or don't show up at all because your company paid for the ticket anyway. That's why Stadium 1 is full today, but they actually sold fewer tickets overall for this Friday compared to last Friday (when they could sell grounds passes).

·
F***ing have it
17,948 Posts
Old news.

·
Blown Out On the Trail
62,738 Posts
you are funny but i am wondering if anyone heard. and record crowd? have you been seeing the empty seats. check it out
The stadium has been sold out for the day sessions even early in the tournament which is unusual. The reason you don't see all the seats filled during the day, is that many people, like me for instance, who hold stadium tickets go to the outer courts to see matches there. If I'm not intersted in a stadium match, I go outside to a match that I want to see more. That's what lots of people do and particularly people who have tickets in the upper reaches. I can testify that the crowds were MUCH heavier this year than in years past. In fact, it was nearly unpleasant how many people were there. The weekend was horrific, and unfortunately parking which has never been a problem in past years became a real nightmare for some people. One couple I talked to was stuck in traffic for over 2 hours trying to get to tennis garden parking on Saturday. They'll need to fix that next year.

I'm not sure why you are trying to make this tournament sound like a failure when it is clearly thriving. Yes, two years ago there was a possibility of the tournament being sold if Passarel couldn't come up with the money to buy out his partners who wanted to sell. But he put together some deals with other partners including Sampras and Evert. Those new partners must be feeling pretty good about their investment just now.

·
Blown Out On the Trail
62,738 Posts
Oh, the one sad thing is that the tournament sold some land to the City of Indian Wells in order to raise cash and now instead of being able to expand the tournament site to the east, there is a big development going in there with a hotel, shops and a theater. It's kind of sad to see the dunes bulldozed, but that's the way of things in that area. The beautiful desert has to be covered with cement, lawns, and palm trees.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I was there for the first time this year, also Friday through Sunday. I purchased the general admission ticket when I arrived on Friday without problem and then on Saturday, it was sold out. I was pissed. I didn't know that anyone would want to attend the early rounds. I got the night session ticket so that relieved my sadness a little. I also bought the ticket for the next day. And I felt so smart for doing that because on Sunday, it was also sold out.

I attended 5 games, on average, per day. I was in the main stadium for three games total out of the three days. Once just because that was the last game of the night and everything else was already finished. The outer courts had better tennis and you get to sit so close to your favorite players. Also, since all the top players had a bye and if you had to leave before they start their singles matches, you would rather watch them play doubles than not see them at all. Outer court for the win!!!

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
Oh, the one sad thing is that the tournament sold some land to the City of Indian Wells in order to raise cash and now instead of being able to expand the tournament site to the east, there is a big development going in there with a hotel, shops and a theater. It's kind of sad to see the dunes bulldozed, but that's the way of things in that area. The beautiful desert has to be covered with cement, lawns, and palm trees.

thats a shame. i am making the trip next year. i will have to check it all out.

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,503 Posts
Good to see zadle, the fountain of misinformation as it again.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
did you anyone hear allegedly that past players had to put in money at the last minute to keep the pacific life? did you hear allegedly that the tournament was allegedly going to bought by China so they can have a tournament there? While watching some tennis matches, I am noticing they are not packing them in steadily everyday as these tournament operate? In my opinion? Is tennis on a decline? Do you think there needs to be less tournaments?
I dont think tennis is on a decline. I used to get alll masters series events on ESPN (middle east covers general stuff from all ESPN channels so its a bit different)and this year they didnt. I know the person who owns the biggest sattalite provider here (which provides ESPN) and they asked for 20 million this year as opposed to 5 million last year :eek: I dont know what would make them ask formoney besides the fact that tennis is getting popular..:confused:

21 - 37 of 37 Posts