Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
did you anyone hear allegedly that past players had to put in money at the last minute to keep the pacific life? did you hear allegedly that the tournament was allegedly going to bought by China so they can have a tournament there? While watching some tennis matches, I am noticing they are not packing them in steadily everyday as these tournament operate? In my opinion? Is tennis on a decline? Do you think there needs to be less tournaments?

·
Vamos Mandy :)
85,829 Posts
Yes, this is not new news, it happened a couple years ago. This past weekend, the event was completely sold out, they weren't even letting people into the parking lot without tickets. The grounds have always been busy since I started going but this year was just crazy. Thing is, people don't really go into the stadium, but the side courts and practice courts are PACKED all day long.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you are funny but i am wondering if anyone heard. and record crowd? have you been seeing the empty seats. check it out

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i heard allegedly this year billie jean king, chris evert and etc had to pump in more money at the last minute to save the tournamemt. in other word the tournament almost did not happen.

·
Registered
17,866 Posts
Yes, record crowds. I was there as well. Friday, Saturday and Sunday were packed. The stadium one seats may be empty, but they were still sold. The most packed court I saw was stadium 3 which does not have cameras on court all day. The practice courts all have spectators on them throughout the day (there are about 9 of them I think). Indian Wells does very well in attendence, but tournaments don't make money from attendence anyway.

Zadle, the troubles of this event are old news, so what exactly is your point in starting this thread? Do you think this tournament should be moved? 'You heard' from where? What is your source? The former players who invested in this event did it last year and it was quite public. Do a google search, I'm sure the articles are all still there.

·
I DON'T LIKE DJOKOVIC
41,217 Posts
i heard allegedly this year billie jean king, chris evert and etc had to pump in more money at the last minute to save the tournamemt. in other word the tournament almost did not happen.
What's the source, zadle? Is it a secret? :secret:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i think it is the problem with tennis. IMO. Tennis is not bringing in the money like it used to. I think the popularity with golf is affecting the sport.

·
I DON'T LIKE DJOKOVIC
41,217 Posts
LOL - they just this second said on SKY that IW is the most attended tournament outside of the Slams.

·
Gugaholic
84,779 Posts
you are funny but i am wondering if anyone heard. and record crowd? have you been seeing the empty seats. check it out
Both Deb and I were in Indian Wells this and last year. And the ground was packed. Really packed. My tickets allowed me into the Stadium 1 but I didn't set foot in it once for the 4 days I was there.

I also knew that the parking lot for general public was full and they had to direct cars to overflow parking lot. They have increased seating in outside courts and still, most were packed.

·
Gugaholic
84,779 Posts
It may be a surprise for most posters here but many attendance in Indian Wells, especially early rounds, know tennis. Many of them play tennis themselves and they know most outside courts have better matches than the Stadium 1. They don't only go for big names players or just top players.

I am watching the Fish/Nalbandian match and the stadium is quite packed. Stadium 1 has the capacity of 16,000. Second largest tennis court other than Arthur Ashe.

The finance trouble with Indian Wells Tennis Garden was not because not enough support for the tournament. It's because other than the 2 weeks a year, the whole site was under use. They are now looking for other avenues like concerts and later this year, outdoor NBA exhibition games to bring in more revenue.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
It may be a surprise for most posters here but many attendance in Indian Wells, especially early rounds, know tennis. Many of them play tennis themselves and they know most outside courts have better matches than the Stadium 1. They don't only go for big names players or just top players.

I am watching the Fish/Nalbandian match and the stadium is quite packed. Stadium 1 has the capacity of 16,000. Second largest tennis court other than Arthur Ashe.

The finance trouble with Indian Wells Tennis Garden was not because not enough support for the tournament. It's because other than the 2 weeks a year, the whole site was under use. They are now looking for other avenues like concerts and later this year, outdoor NBA exhibition games to bring in more revenue.
Can you wave to the camera for us?

And, can you tell the linesman that the ball was IN!!!! (He must be blind). Thanks :wavey:

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
One thing I don't understand why is the stadium 1 half empty if it was sold out. I'd kill to be there. Why would people buy tickets and not show up?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts