Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember when I first saw Nole. Great game but needed to work on his fitness and other areas. I remember Cliff Drysdale and Darren Cahill suggesting that he could win 5 or 6 slams when he had 2. But then, he had the magical year, and we started talking about him getting to 10 and more. Did we overrate Nole and his chances of winning slams? Sure, he is making the finals but he is not winning. It now seems like he will finish with a couple of more slams.

Serbians are great people and passionate. Maybe becoming a dad will set a fire under his butt to do better. Maybe he will figure out how to get out of this slump in slam finals. But if he does not, it seems Cliff and Darren were not that wrong about him.

What do you think? Did we overrate Nole, not his talent, but his ability to win slams?

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
We didn't overrate Nole then. In fact he was backing it up the first 2 slams of 2012. But once he couldn't beat Nadal again at RG, he didn't go back to his Nole 1.0 form, but he never again touched that form

·
Your visions will happen
47,112 Posts
Most realistic people knew that he wasn't going to keep his 2011 form forever.

What is shocking is how poorly he has played in slam finals since AO 2012.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Most realistic people knew that he wasn't going to keep his 2011 form forever.

What is shocking is how poorly he has played in slam finals since AO 2012.
After 2012 AO, I thought he'd reach 12. Now I don't think he will go past 8. If he had gone 3-3 in his past 6 finals, he'd be 8 and on his way to 12. Now who knows. Maybe he become a dad and realizes what a sh**ty look it would be for his child to see his dad with that dismal record. He needs another Davis Cup moment to have another great year. Even so, Nole did not remotely achieve what I thought he would.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No. There's no reason why he can't win multiple more slams.
Sure but 1-5 in his last 6 slam finals. He is not getting any younger either. He is not the favorite on grass. He has lost to Rafa at the USO, he did not win AO. He failed to get off at FO. So it's not looking good

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yeah, I'm a Nole fan but I do get desperate. He plays preatty poor in Slam finals last 2 years. And I do not care about being number 1. I think he should not if he has no slams in the last 12 months (but he probably will in the summer).

He really needs to win a slam this year... But he is not the favorite that is right.

·
Registered
18,092 Posts
Djokovic is often overrated, he's most certainly not in the same class as Federer and Nadal - although he's in a league of his own far above any other XXI century player.

But he often gets very underrated too, so it evens out. There's a lot of BS going around about how Djokovic is a mental midget who will never win a Slam again, etc., which is pretty ridiculous as only Nadal is better than him at the moment - and Djokovic can beat him, especially on HC - and Djokovic is incredibly reliable at going deep in majors and will surely get many more chances to win. Nadal apart, Djokovic is way superior to the rest of the field on a consistent basis and this doesn't look like changing any time soon so I'd be amazed if he didn't win more Slams, especially considering that Nadal is not (a) unbeatable for Djokovic at the Slams by any stretch of the imagination or (b) a lock to make the final every time.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
The Thing is 2011- Djokovic was his peak Most Level, the Level where he cannot play better than that. That was an incredible Year. But most of his game after that just fluctuates between his peak level and his average Level. The thing with people like Djokvoic and Federer is that they have a peak level which almost nobody can match that and other players can only dream about having them. Players like Nadal just doesnt have that peak level and he cannot ever have that so what he does is he makes it up with dogged determination and makes most when players like Djokovic is not at Peak Level. Hence his success is a parameter of how Bad players like Djokovic plays rather than his own strengths. Thats the reason most do not like Nadal.

What i would like of Djokovic is, that Other than when he is playing at a Peak level he need to device certain mechanism where others do not take much advantage when he is playing at an Average Level. He need to bolster up his defense more. Cut out more errors, improve his Net Play, Strenghten up his B Game and that is very important.

I mean Nadal at his A Game and Djokovic at his A Game, Djokvoic wins every time, But Nadal at his A Game, Because Nadal doesnt have a B game, he is always at a Same Level, doesnt have a Peak doesnt have a Trough, Beats Djokvoic at his B Game.

And Djokovic's B Game is just Atrocious.

·
Registered
6,939 Posts
The thing with people like Djokvoic and Federer is that they have a peak level which almost nobody can match that and other players can only dream about having them. Players like Nadal just doesnt have that peak level...I mean Nadal at his A Game and Djokovic at his A Game, Djokvoic wins every time, But Nadal at his A Game, Because Nadal doesnt have a B game, he is always at a Same Level, doesnt have a Peak doesnt have a Trough,
A seriously demented post. Nadal in 2008 to pick an obvious one, beat Federer badly at RG with something approaching Nadal's peak level and it was ugly for Roger.

Every player has a top level but you define it away for Nadal and make it sound like Djokovic just "happens" to lose over and over.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Yes. But I always know that. He is lucky to beat Federer in 2011 USO, and to avoid Federer in Wimbledon.

He is almost beaten by Murray in 2012 AO SF, and almost beaten by Nadal in the Final. These two had already find a way to beat him then. And that's what happend in their next encounters.

He is lucky for the past year to be constantly reaching finals.

From now on, he has run out of all the luck, He will more likely do even worse in grand slams, like this year's AO Open.

If I could give an advice to improve his game, I'd say he has to build up his body and strength, like Mugray did. Nobody wins a grand slam without a strong forehand.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Sure but 1-5 in his last 6 slam finals. He is not getting any younger either. He is not the favorite on grass. He has lost to Rafa at the USO, he did not win AO. He failed to get off at FO. So it's not looking good
Granted, he hasn't played particularly well in slam finals lately, but he's going to be in the conversation at every single major for the foreseeable future.

Djokovic pounded Nadal in their Wimbledon final so I wouldn't be running scared of that match up. And of course MTF exaggerates Murray's grass "dominance" to no end.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
11 Finals of the last 16. OP is an overrated sheep.

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
Fedtards overrate him wishfully thinkinh he can dethrone Nadal, not Nole fans.

·
Registered
14,394 Posts
Yes. But I always know that. He is lucky to beat Federer in 2011 USO, and to avoid Federer in Wimbledon.

He is almost beaten by Murray in 2012 AO SF, and almost beaten by Nadal in the Final. These two had already find a way to beat him then. And that's what happend in their next encounters.

He is lucky for the past year to be constantly reaching finals.

From now on, he has run out of all the luck, He will more likely do even worse in grand slams, like this year's AO Open.

If I could give an advice to improve his game, I'd say he has to build up his body and strength, like Mugray did. Nobody wins a grand slam without a strong forehand.

Reading your post, it's quite clear that all of Djokovic's success is based on luck. Or maybe you don't know that much about tennis. :p

I also disagree with your "building up" advice for Djokvoic. We've seen how Murray was spent against Nadal in the semis. Djokovic has a skinny body type and has improved his fitness already tremendously since 2010/11.

·
Registered
16,539 Posts
Agassi is no better than Mugovic. If he meets Nadal, he won't win french open either.
Goes without saying. People still try to argue sometimes that there's no such thing as 'stronger' or 'weaker' eras. But when some guys have to go through Nadal to win a RG title and others through Medvedev, some bells need to start ringing you'd think.

·
Registered
373 Posts
He raised his game during late 2010 and followed it up with an amazing 2011. But 2011 was much about confidence and a bit of luck. I think his level now is about the same really. His style has always been a little bit inconsistent, both during matches and tournaments. He was not consistent in 2011 either, but managed to play extraordinary tennis on the important points. So I guess the answer is yes - it was not possible for Novak to have the margins going in his favour over and over again.

I still feel that he has an upper hand against Rafa on all surfaces besides clay in certain conditions. So in a Wimbledon final or a US Open final I will pick Novak as the favourite against him. But he should start to worry about his slam results over the last couple of years. He has failed to rise to the occasion, that's for sure.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Fedtards overrate him wishfully thinkinh he can dethrone Nadal, not Nole fans.
What abt Nadal Fans?

I think most of us feel that Nole is Nadal's only competition as of the last few years.

So I wouldtn blame Fedtards for placing their beleifs in the ONLY guy who showed he could stand with the "devil" in their eyes .

Is he overrated? Not quite ... overrated players fluke a slam or two. Making finals consistently is a better indicator of the class.

Only if you thot he is a lock for CYGS - one would be overrating. Otherwise he has a chance at every GS since 2011

1 - 20 of 60 Posts