Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Slowing down his first serve to hit that precise slice serve to Djokovic's forehand on deuce court.

It worked out quite well imo. But do you think he should go for power and speed?

2. Taking risk with BHDTL.

When he is on, this shot helps him dominate from baseline. But sometimes it goes wild and hands Djokovic easy breaks of serve that are decisive of the outcome.

·
justice for all
15,193 Posts
Number 2 didn’t work at all. He made double or triple the amount of errors trying to hit agressive DTL BH or FH compared to winners or error-forcing shots DTL. But he had to keep trying it cause without DTL openings it’s simply impossible to beat Djokovic.

The other thing that didn’t work and to my mind was tactically all wrong was 2nd serve ROS. Should have definitely tried to step in and have a look at Djokovic’s 2nd serves more often instead he more often than not was trying to return from far behind the baseline enabling Djokovic to quickly take the initiative in those rallies.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
His bh could have hit better, simply keep it straight is enough. He try to be perfect doing a curl backhand shot.

Tactics are working but somehow no more legs from set 4. Neutral strokes is pwning Djoker.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Number 2 didn’t work at all. He made double or triple the amount of errors trying to hit agressive DTL BH or FH compared to winners or error-forcing shots DTL. But he had to keep trying it cause without DTL openings it’s simply impossible to beat Djokovic.

The other thing that didn’t work and to my mind was tactically all wrong was 2nd serve ROS. Should have definitely tried to step in and have a look at Djokovic’s 2nd serves more often instead he more often than not was trying to return from far behind the baseline enabling Djokovic to quickly take the initiative in those rallies.
Agree with the 2nd serve ROS here. Especially when Novak was struggling on serve, he should have put even more pressure.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
He sometimes reminded me of Nadal and not for the right reasons, his ROS from the stands was exasperating. Taking risks DTL wasn't optional and he proceeded, unfortunately it didn't work.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
His bh dtl was missing too much. He should have roll it more not going for it so often. His BH slice to then go for big shot worked ok ?
Lol Wilander said nole 2nd serve was fantastic... It was not... He just put it in sometimes at 125 kmh, especially when tight ? point
Roll the bh more is the key

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Thiem wasn't missing much from the baseline. I wonder why he play so risky on his service games when he is the best defender right now.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Match was for the taking for Thiem, is his BTDHL was firing it woul dhave been a very Wawrinkaesque finals performance. But alas, the fatigue and nerves just got to him. He has a lot to be proud of. Just a little little more.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thiem wasn't missing much from the baseline. I wonder why he play so risky on his service games when he is the best defender right now.
I feel like he would still win the point if he goes for long rally instead of the BHDTL killer

1 - 10 of 10 Posts