Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pete was a great champion, and i respect him more and more as time goes on for his ability to hang in there true mental conditions. But with the way the courts play nowadays, and with rafa's ability to hit winners from 15 feet behind the court and pump his fist and BELIEVE he can win despite losing a tough set and down 2 sets to 1 against a grass god,

Did pete ever play this type of competition Night in night out?

Becker was in and out quickly, and wasnt the same becker as late 80s

Edberg the same

Chang, had the heart, but not the game

Agassi was always a mental midgit against pete (plume of steam coming from his head after missing shots)

Goran... lol

Pioline..haha

Anyone I am missing?

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
I believe not. Before During Ferrero-Roddick-Hewitt era i do believe the mental side of the game was dropping hardcore. But now the competition is getting more and more intense as people are closing in on Federer especially Nadal the mental side of game is lifting like crazy. So glad Federer raised the bar so much all of a sudden :)

·
Banned
42,099 Posts
Sampras wouldn't lose a set to Nadal at his heydays. What a joke of comparison. Sampras wasn't a little girl who gets afraid of a moonballer.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
if Goran got mentally stronger, he would have won in 98.

·
Registered
10,598 Posts
Pete was a great champion, and i respect him more and more as time goes on for his ability to hang in there true mental conditions. But with the way the courts play nowadays, and with rafa's ability to hit winners from 15 feet behind the court and pump his fist and BELIEVE he can win despite losing a tough set and down 2 sets to 1 against a grass god,

Did pete ever play this type of competition Night in night out?

Becker was in and out quickly, and wasnt the same becker as late 80s

Edberg the same

Chang, had the heart, but not the game

Agassi was always a mental midgit against pete (plume of steam coming from his head after missing shots)

Goran... lol

Pioline..haha

Anyone I am missing?
Courier who made Sampras fight for his first Wimbledon title.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Look pete's serve was insane and amazing...no doubt like roger he woulda made nadal fight for everything

but thats the whole point...have you EVER seen nadal take consecutive points off? not be there mentally?

The guy has some attitude mentally. They should examine his brain

·
Your visions will happen
47,121 Posts

·
Banned
12,385 Posts
The big question for Nadal is how long can he continue keeping that super-focus?

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Love to see Sampras vs Nadal on clay, what an epic battle that would be.

great question; everybody lampasts federer's achivement about not playing in a strong era...but seriously nadal is one hell of a player and his existance gives federer's reign legitmacy..and visa versa......sampras's nearest rival was actually andre agassi a great returner but not the physical nuclear bomb that is nadal

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Re:Did sampras ever play an opponent with as much heart determination guts as rafa?

I don't know about hearts, but Sampras did not have anyone 4-7 years younger to push him. The generation born in 1975-1979 did not produce any champions outside of clay.

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
Re: Did pete sampras ever play an opponent with as much heart

not on grass but he gave the great Pete a breadstick on a ultra fast indoor carpet even altought he lost 63 36 63 ;)

even Sampras got pretty lucky, look at the stats of that match, Sampras 2/2 on bps winning 12 return points (22%) where Bruguera was 2/8 in bps 29 return points (36 %)
On grass?

·
Banned
42,099 Posts
Re: Did pete sampras ever play an opponent with as much heart

not on grass but he gave the great Pete a breadstick on a ultra fast indoor carpet even altought he lost 63 36 63 ;)

even Sampras got pretty lucky, look at the stats of that match, Sampras 2/2 on bps winning 12 return points (22%) where Bruguera was 2/8 in bps 29 return points (36 %)
That says a lot about Sampras not being a wussy on BPs. ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts