Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nole vs. Rafa happening again was almost inevitable. But Nole has to face him earlier than the final. We all know what a beast Rafa is in finals ... and how hard he is to put away (not counting his AO loss to Wawrinka). Do you think Nole missed out big time as far as his legacy goes by having to play and beat Rafa in quarterfinals instead of the final or does it not matter? Thoughts?

·
Banned
2,160 Posts
They're 3-3 h2h in Slam finals which means that it's irrelevant at which stage of the tournament they're going to play.

Nole's legacy would be totally fine if he beats Rafa in quarterfinals because he becomes the first player ever to get Nadal Slam.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I think it would mean more to beat him in the finals, but Novak can only play the draw that's in front of him, and besting Nadull in quarters will go down as the greatest feat in FO history.

·
6,667 Posts
No, Rafa does not deserve a guaranteed final with Novak based on his current ranking.
There is a school of thought that he has to go through Rafa whatever stage, I don't buy it.
He just has to win the thing.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I think so. It will get less publicity and when future generations look back through wikipedia or whatever they won't see Djokovic beating Nadal in final but someone else (if he wins, that is). Finals are always remembered. The rest aren't unfortunately. It's ok. There's always next year. I have a feeling Nadal will be better prepared next year so I can't wait!
I think either Nole or Murray will win FO.

·
Registered
21,283 Posts
I think it would mean more to beat him in the finals, but Novak can only play the draw that's in front of him, and besting Nadull in quarters will go down as the greatest feat in FO history.
It won't if Oldal will just suck and lose in straights though.

·
Registered
10,789 Posts
besting Nadull in quarters will go down as the greatest feat in FO history.
Der Soderking has that title, beating peak Rafa at RG.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think so. It will get less publicity and when future generations look back through wikipedia or whatever they won't see Djokovic beating Nadal in final but someone else (if he wins, that is). Finals are always remembered. The rest aren't unfortunately. It's ok. There's always next year. I have a feeling Nadal will be better prepared next year so I can't wait!
I think either Nole or Murray will win FO.
We all know how hard Roger and Nole have tried to beat Rafa in the final at the French Open. I think if Nole beats Rafa here, he wishes it were the final .. but yea. Obviously winning it is important too

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Preventing Nadal from reaching the semi-final is more impressive than beating him in the final. Also, if Nadal was seeded second there is a real chance that he never gets to the final.

I would like to see both Nadal and Djokovic lose early resulting in a Murray/Federer final. The odds of all that happening are close to zero but people would go nuts.

·
Banned
2,160 Posts
Every tournament could have its real final at any stage.

At RG-13 everybody knew that semi-final was the real final, just like at AO-15 Nole-Stan match had final vibes with all due respect to Murray.

Djokovic-Nadal QF-15 is the final even if it's not the formal final.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Every tournament could have its real final at any stage.

At RG-13 everybody knew that semi-final was the real final, just like at AO-15 Nole-Stan match had final vibes with all due respect to Murray.

Djokovic-Nadal QF-15 is the final even if it's not the formal final.
But it's not. Rafa is a different animal in finals ... of course, Nole would still be the favorite.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Not the slightest.
Talking for historians and casual fans, we've got two bigger pictures here:
RG 2015 as part of Novak's CYGS.
And RG 2015 as part of Novak's overall slam count.

That's about it, really. That's what millions will talk about/remember.
The rest is just for hardcore tennis fans.
Draw, Rafa, QF, SF, F, pfffff...
Jordan was the greatest basketball player of all time, but who was his opponent in the ECF in 93? You have no idea, oh, me neither.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Seems like you(as a Fed fan) have clear agenda to bash Djokovic possible achievement(2nd man to beat Nadal at RG and 1st to beat Rafa at all Slams) and decrease its value:spit: Good luck with that:wavey:
now I am back to being a Fed fan? Even before the draw came out, I said I wished Nole and Rafa could meet in the final. Don't you have any sense of history? Beating the best clay courter of all time ... almost undefeated at the French Open in the final ... don't you get how big it would have been for Nole? Now in what way was I bashing Nole? Did I say he wouldn't deserve if he won? Did I say it does not count? No. You are just trolling

·
Banned
2,160 Posts
now I am back to being a Fed fan? Even before the draw came out, I said I wished Nole and Rafa could meet in the final. Don't you have any sense of history? Beating the best clay courter of all time ... almost undefeated at the French Open in the final ... don't you get how big it would have been for Nole? Now in what way was I bashing Nole? Did I say he wouldn't deserve if he won? Did I say it does not count? No. You are just trolling
The only downside of Nole putting a clay court masterclass on Nadal in QF is that Nadal fans will troll that Rafa is still unbeatable in semifinal/final stages like they claimed after Soderling's godly performance that Nadal is a different animal after reaching QF:haha::haha:

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
No, he didn't. I'd be fine with an RG title even if he didn't play Nadal at all. QF is good enough. If it actually happens and Djokovic wins, people will certainly remember.

Not to mention that with Nadal's questionable form he might not have even made it to the final.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The only downside of Nole putting a clay court masterclass on Nadal in QF is that Nadal fans will troll that Rafa is still unbeatable in semifinal/final stages like they claimed after Soderling's godly performance that Nadal is a different animal after reaching QF:haha::haha:
Well, that's BS. I don't care what Rafa fans think. He should have lost to Nole at the semis that year. I am talking about Nole's legacy. He is having a brilliant year. Beating Rafa at FO final without even talking about his 8 other slams, would Nole in the books ... just a huge history making thing. I hope he gets to play Rafa in another final even if he wins this one beating Berdych or Monfils in the final

·
Banned
2,160 Posts
Well, that's BS. I don't care what Rafa fans think. He should have lost to Nole at the semis that year. I am talking about Nole's legacy. He is having a brilliant year. Beating Rafa at FO final without even talking about his 8 other slams, would Nole in the books ... just a huge history making thing. I hope he gets to play Rafa in another final even if he wins this one beating Berdych or Monfils in the final
That's some archaic prestige type of thinking with the overestimation of finals value. Djokovic or Nadal have to go through the best players in order to win RG. That's all that matters. Nole-Nadal in Monte-Carlo was the potential final and it's the same at RG.

I get your point, if we go to wiki and check slam history then the first thing to see is the result of the final, but for example Djokovic-Wawrinka matches at AO-13/14(R4 and QF) were chosen as the best matches of the seasons, so the quality of the matches is rated as high as the prestige of the latest tournament stages.

·
Registered
905 Posts
If that match comes about it'll be the biggest match of the FO. Hopefully the winner goes on and wins the title. Best QF ever!

1 - 20 of 101 Posts