Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Banned
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier this week Fed said Delpo would have been #1 if not for his unfortunate injury. THat is high praise, one of the highest compliments Fed ever gave a rival. Delpo is a gentleman, the praise by Fed may have softened up him. as he did not look at his best vs. Roger. Fed is a master at subtle mind games, look how he handles Murray for an example. You don't ever hear Fed complimenting Djokovic so nicely, do you think you will ever hear Fed say "Djokovic has taken tennis to a new level, he surpassed the quality of tennis of Rafa and me with an even higher level of tennis."

Delpo is a gentle giant, who could be vulnerable to the nice guy routine especially when it comes from a guy like Roger Federer.

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
Earlier this week Fed said Delpo would have been #1 if not for his unfortunate injury. THat is high praise, one of the highest compliments Fed ever gave a rival. Delpo is a gentleman, the praise by Fed may have softened up him. as he did not look at his best vs. Roger. Fed is a master at subtle mind games, look how he handles Murray for an example. You don't ever hear Fed complimenting Djokovic so nicely, do you think you will ever hear Fed say "Djokovic has taken tennis to a new level, he surpassed the quality of tennis of Rafa and me with an even higher level of tennis."

Delpo is a gentle giant, who could be vulnerable to the nice guy routine especially when it comes from a guy like Roger Federer.

It was more of a dig at Djokovic. When Federer loses to Nadal on Thursday his only hope is that Djokovic meets Nadal in the final otherwise hello slam number 11. Nadal will only be five behind. The French open will put him only 4 behind. Wake up Roger time to embrace Djokovic or start beating Nadal yourself.

·
Banned
5,509 Posts
He's being honest. Late in 2009 Delpo beat him twice and in a healthy 2010 I bet he would have defended his USO title and won a couple of MS titles. Most of you laugh because it did not happen but it's the truth. He wiped the floor with nadal 3 times in 2009. Now all of these internet heroes are calling 09 fluke, but truth is that he will never be back to his old form. Yes, he is not injured now, but 1 year out is 1 year. Such young player suspended in progress won't be able to continoue the previous level. Sad but true.

·
Registered
14,624 Posts
Delpo would have never become n#1, are you people blind? What has he done apart from that lonely slam?
Federer is just playing mind games as usual. Such a tactician this federer.

·
Banned
5,509 Posts
Delpo would have never become n#1, are you people blind? What has he done apart from that lonely slam?
:facepalm: People forget things quickly. But come on, he was injured for a whole season....

·
Registered
638 Posts
He's being honest. Late in 2009 Delpo beat him twice and in a healthy 2010 I bet he would have defended his USO title and won a couple of MS titles. Most of you laugh because it did not happen but it's the truth. He wiped the floor with nadal 3 times in 2009. Now all of these internet heroes are calling 09 fluke, but truth is that he will never be back to his old form. Yes, he is not injured now, but 1 year out is 1 year. Such young player suspended in progress won't be able to continoue the previous level. Sad but true.
Del Potro was beaten by Roger Vasselin in tokyo 2009. Just saying

·
Registered
20,716 Posts
So when Fed doesn't talk nicely about someone he is arrogant, when he does talk nicely about someone he is hypocrite

·
Registered
12,123 Posts
For your information all those comments have not started this week, Fed has constantly praised Del Potro since 2009, and also Del Po said that he sent him a lot of messages during his recovery.

During this recovery Fed also very often kept on mentioning Del Potro to the journalists.

I also remember that on French TV after beating him in RG semifinal Fed had very nice words for Del Potro : Del Po cried and Fed clearly knew what it was like crying after losing when you're young.

I fully understand that a big and sensitive guy like Del Po is touching as I feel the same about him.

Then well they've had very good relationships (Del Po also sent congratulations on twitter after Fed winning WTF) but it didn't prevent Del Po, who is a great fighter, to beat him in a thriller in US Open, and to crush him in WTF.

·
Registered
277 Posts
it was more of a dig at Djokovic plus i don't think delpo was or will ever be a contender for # 1 spot.

·
Registered
14,624 Posts
:facepalm: People forget things quickly. But come on, he was injured for a whole season....
I know, but we cannot blame everything on that. Delpo is a tremendous player who was capable of winning one slam, but prior to that he had never won even a single master event. :shrug:
Murray might be slamless but at least he has 24 titles or so... that speaks volumes about his chances. Delpo still has to prove himself, specially against the Top 4.

·
Registered
12,123 Posts
Even if you don't like Fed and you don't like his opinions, Fed has his opinions.

Probably you're also angry that Fed believed more in Murray than in Djoko in the beginning of their carreer because Murray had more variations and Fed thought it was important for success - actually he was far from being the only one to think that Murray had more future than Djoko in that period (2006)

But well that's his opinions : like all previous champions you hear on TV, he may make some mistakes :shrug:

·
Registered
27,928 Posts
Even if you don't like Fed and you don't like his opinions, Fed has his opinions.

Probably you're also angry that Fed believed more in Murray than in Djoko in the beginning of their carreer because Murray had more variations and Fed thought it was important for success - actually he was far from being the only one to think that Murray had more future than Djoko in that period (2006)

But well that's his opinions : like all previous champions you hear on TV, he may make some mistakes :shrug:
I highly doubt that she cares one bit about who the hell Roger thought was the most talented. :lol:

And what you said about Murray in 2006, might be true, but partly because he is from the UK, while Nole came from an unknown country at the time. So obviously Murray had all eyes on him, being the queen's biggest hope for tennis.

·
Registered
14,624 Posts

You're wrong. I couldn't care less about Federer's opinions because he just talks bullshit. He likes to play mind games, he's not honest. I bet he's so pissed off with Nole being n#1and dominating the tour ... I hope he retires watching Novak on top. :devil:

·
Banned
8,385 Posts
Watch TennisJokeDoctor to make strike in this thread with his lame ass trolling.

He has wrote his lines on paper so he dont forget those.

·
Banned
5,509 Posts
I know, but we cannot blame everything on that. Delpo is a tremendous player who was capable of winning one slam, but prior to that he had never won even a single master event. :shrug:
Murray might be slamless but at least he has 24 titles or so... that speaks volumes about his chances. Delpo still has to prove himself, specially against the Top 4.
I agree about that but I cannot see him winning anything big again to be honest. He is a shadow of himself now.

·
Registered
9,432 Posts
I think he "softened him up" with slices, drop shots, wrong-footers, & wide serves, to be honest.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts