Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Now can you imagine what happens if Krajinovic had Djokovic serve/return?

He will need to win far more than half rallies in the final as his return of serve is several leagues below the greatest returner of all time.
Djokovic's current return is about the same level give or take.

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Anyway a quick check tells me Medvedev won the majority of extended rallies in every match during his recent streak, in particular 65% against both Djokodal at the YEC. Looks like the new normal, let them try change it ho.

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
That's a crazy thing to say, Medvedev returns from further behind the baseline and with lower return rate.. That's not to say he isn't a good returner but FH side in particular, he is way behind due to his ample swing.

Anyway, back to the initial point, i do think he will win most extended rallies and in the end as i said on another thread it may come down to who has a higher first serve % on the day.

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
That's a crazy thing to say, Medvedev returns from further behind the baseline and with lower return rate.. That's not to say he isn't a good returner but FH side in particular, he is way behind due to his ample swing.

Anyway, back to the initial point, i do think he will win most extended rallies and in the end as i said on another thread it may come down to who has a higher first serve % on the day.
And back to the serve-return complex, Medvedev always returns a significantly higher % of Djokovic's serves than Djokovic returns his. Even at 2019 AO, when Djokovic was obviously better and Medvedev obviously worse, Djokovic returned 60% of Medvedev's 1st serves while Medvedev returned 75% of Djokovic's 1st serves. On 2nd serves, both return all but a few, as expected. Of course this has to do with Medvedev's serve being naturally bigger and Djokovic returning more aggressively. Medvedev's return depth has improved since then, he won't be taking initiative outright but forcing Djokovic into neutral rallies on his serve regularly could just be good enough at this point. Obviously peak/prime Djokovic was on another level but that is long past and it's time he stopped surviving on the general wussness of the young gens.

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
And back to the serve-return complex, Medvedev always returns a significantly higher % of Djokovic's serves than Djokovic returns his. Even at 2019 AO, when Djokovic was obviously better and Medvedev obviously worse, Djokovic returned 60% of Medvedev's 1st serves while Medvedev returned 75% of Djokovic's 1st serves. On 2nd serves, both return all but a few, as expected. Of course this has to do with Medvedev's serve being naturally bigger and Djokovic returning more aggressively. Medvedev's return depth has improved since then, he won't be taking initiative outright but forcing Djokovic into neutral rallies on his serve regularly could just be good enough at this point. Obviously peak/prime Djokovic was on another level but that is long past and it's time he stopped surviving on the general wussness of the young gens.
Djokovic serve has looked better than ever this tournament, and the courts are quicker than in 2019. Something tells me Medvedev return of serve will really be tested and i have no doubts Djokovic will return quite a few of his 1st serves, his return of serve has been reasonably ok this tournament against very good servers. We should see a lot of those neutral rallies despite the quick courts.

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Djokovic serve has looked better than ever this tournament, and the courts are quicker than in 2019. Something tells me Medvedev return of serve will really be tested and i have no doubts Djokovic will return quite a few of his 1st serves, his return of serve has been reasonably ok this tournament against very good servers. We should see a lot of those neutral rallies despite the quick courts.
He's definitely going to return better than Tsitsipas, I'll give you that. lol

·
Registered
19,673 Posts
How do you explain that Djokovic raised his return level for the final and he could win quite a few longer rallies as well?
Please don't answer, because your analysis has been downright laughable these past 4 days.

Reactions: Phillo

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
How do you explain that Djokovic raised his return level for the final and he could win quite a few longer rallies as well?
Please don't answer, because your analysis has been downright laughable these past 4 days.
Djokovic raised his level a bit more than I expected and Medvedev pussied after losing the first set when both played fairly well. Sad sight, didn't know where to place the ball. Guess not being able to glide to an automatic win as long as he played his best rattled him completely.

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
Djokovic raised his level a bit more than I expected and Medvedev pussied after losing the first set when both played fairly well. Sad sight, didn't know where to place the ball. Guess not being able to glide to an automatic win as long as he played his best rattled him completely.
Did you see that masterclass in returning..? Of course he had enough training in that tournament already...

Djokovic had already raised his level considerably in the semi final (Karatsev doesn't get the credit he deserves by the way). The writing was on the wall this was AO 2019 all over again. Obviously Medvedev mental was a bit disappointing in such adversity.

·
Administrator
9,551 Posts
Djokovic didn’t win this match due to his return, it has always been excellent. There was no +1 tonight, what was different tho is Djokovic being incredibly aggressive and offensive. He took a lot of shots on the rise, made Medvedev run quite a lot. Latter never felt comfortable as Djokovic’s tennis was, to use a football term, pressing Medvedev’s game.

He just was the more clever and more experienced guy today, Medvedev’s game plan was too heavily dependent on the passive Djokovic he has faced in London. So not the stronger or fitter player won, but the more intelligent and hence better player prevailed. Djokovic knew what to expect, Med not at all

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
Djokovic didn’t win this match due to his return, it has always been excellent. There was no +1 tonight, what was different tho is Djokovic being incredibly aggressive and offensive. He took a lot of shots on the rise, made Medvedev run quite a lot. Latter never felt comfortable as Djokovic’s tennis was, to use a football term, pressing Medvedev’s game.

He just was the more clever and more experienced guy today, Medvedev’s game plan was too heavily dependent on the passive Djokovic he has faced in London. So not the stronger or fitter player won, but the more intelligent and hence better player prevailed. Djokovic knew what to expect, Med not at all
Right mindset indeed, when we look at how many forced errors Medvedev had directly from the return of serve that was huge.. He imploded from the pressure and himself not having enough look into Djokovic service games.

From that match we saw the quicker courts this year clearly favored Djokovic.

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Did you see that masterclass in returning..? Of course he had enough training in that tournament already...

Djokovic had already raised his level considerably in the semi final (Karatsev doesn't get the credit he deserves by the way). The writing was on the wall this was AO 2019 all over again. Obviously Medvedev mental was a bit disappointing in such adversity.
Typical overrating of Djokovic and underrating of the wussness of the opposition. Tennis development went the wrong way and all the young players have massive black holes in their games (for Medvedev, his forecourt game and lack of consistent aggression in groundstrokes as well as deep positioning ceding ground to a more attacking opponent). I didn't expect Medvedev to pussy out so easily once his weaknesses were correctly exploited - at least go down in a fight even if you can't win. Pretty pathetic, just like you trying to have the last laugh as if you weren't saying Medvedev was at a prime Big 3 level before the final, but now all is forgotten of course. Humanity is going in the wrong direction altogether, it's probably time for some catastrophic event to expose the weak era of human spirit.

·
NAPRED NOLE
1,716 Posts
Medvedev won less first serve points (73%-69%) and was nearly doubled in second serve points won (58%-32%). Seems that ageing Djokovic return is still “not too bad”..😉

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Medvedev won less first serve points (73%-69%) and was nearly doubled in second serve points won (58%-32%). Seems that ageing Djokovic return is still “not too bad”..😉
Better than expected, that was the most impressive part of his final game. Obviously sadvedev was krap at dealing with it, the 5-5 0-30 point says it all rinse and repeat.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts