Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering how he's never won a 5 setter before & the bagel he served up, it would stand to reason. Defiinitely wasn't deliberate but he really hasn't come close to losing any other sets so it does seem kind of suspect, Filip's resurgent play notwithstanding..

·
Registered
193 Posts
Who tanks sets during grand slams????

Reactions: emotion and Snowwy

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
He has had odd set losses.

He dropped a set against fucking Hugo Dellien before reaching USO 2019 final.

What was the question again?

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
Krajinovic is somewhat a bad matchup for him, there was no "subconscious tank".

Reactions: umbrellapub

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Good to see the theory of "subconscious tanking" is becoming more popular and known. I first heard about the Subconcious tank in Jack Kramer's book The Game. Where did you first learn about it?

281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Against Hugo he was cramping worse than a chick on her period. He's an infinitely better player now considering he also dropped sets to Lopez & Koepfer & closed out that yr. going 0 -3 in the ATP Cup.

281 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good to see the theory of "subconscious tanking" is becoming more popular and known. I first heard about the Subconcious tank in Jack Kramer's book The Game. Where did you first learn about it?
To be perfectly honest, I never heard the term before. I just put 2 & 2 together assuming it wasn't deliberate so it had to be subconscious because everything was coming a little too easy for him. It's kind of like in baseball when a closer subconsciously walks the bases loaded to give themselves a problem to solve because they are by their very nature, problem solvers.

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
If you're gonna base that on losing to him in 2019 IW 3 & 2, he also lost to Berankis 3 & 3 in Dubai the previous tourn.
No, I watched this AO match in full (didn't see the IW one), I am basing it almost entirely on this.
If Krajinovic would be stronger mentally and also physically better conditioned, it could have been a fight even in the 5th...

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Lel, no. Had a period when he couldn't buy a first serve and that eventually frustrated Med into poor errors, simple. Look up the stats, that match featured Medvedev's worst serving performance by far in the tournament.

Also lol at the matchup krap. If Medvedev hadn't struggled making 41% 1st serves in the third set, he would've won in straights. Even with that, he still had BPs at 4-4 to serve for a straight-set win. Just a mug day, happens sometimes. Had one against Zedrot in ATP Cup too, took a significant mental strength differential to swing that in his favour.

·
justice for all
16,870 Posts
No one tanks sets and plays 5-setters on purpose in slams where time on court in latter stages may decide the outcome of a major. Ridiculous assumption.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
To be perfectly honest, I never heard the term before. I just put 2 & 2 together assuming it wasn't deliberate so it had to be subconscious because everything was coming a little too easy for him. It's kind of like in baseball when a closer subconsciously walks the bases loaded to give themselves a problem to solve because they are by their very nature, problem solvers.
Good call. It's something that is discussed fairly regularly at www.tennis-prose.com ) Because it is a definite part of the sport. It happens a lot - Wawrinka/Fed, many players with Serena, Fed losses a round early to avoid playing Djokovic or Nadal, certain Kyrgios matches.

·
Banned
19,217 Posts

He cramped...

·
Banned
19,217 Posts
OP this is an absolutely ridiculous thought.

No professional never the less competitor for a slam would do this.

Reactions: Snowwy

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
Also lol at the matchup krap. If Medvedev hadn't struggled making 41% 1st serves in the third set, he would've won in straights. Even with that, he still had BPs at 4-4 to serve for a straight-set win. Just a mug day, happens sometimes.
Yet you ignoring the fact that Krajinovic won many long rallies in those 2 sets he won, mainly with his FH.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
I definitely rank this 2nd in the "self-sacrificing" conspiracy theories made this week (clearly 1st is Nadal's Effort to tire Tsitsipas then tank to favor Medvedev beating Novak in the final) .

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
That's normal for madved, winning half rallies is enough with his serve-return complex.
Now can you imagine what happens if Krajinovic had Djokovic serve/return?

He will need to win far more than half rallies in the final as his return of serve is several leagues below the greatest returner of all time.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts