Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm angry cause if it wasn't for Craig Tiley being such d*&# Mark wouldn't have played the stupid playoff. Tennis Australia has killed one of their biggest stars.

·
Registered
27,366 Posts
If it wasn't for Tiley the Poo would be GOAT.

·
Registered
7,894 Posts
Philippoussis has carried too much weight for the majority of his career. Being tall instantly predisposes him to knee injuries and carrying extra weight on those joints for so many years only worsened the effects.

Philippoussis was one of the biggest overachievers of the 90's. When his serve isn't firing, you'd be hard pressed to find a top 200 player who can't beat him.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Matchu, the Poo haven't done much in his career recently. Tennis Australia wouldn't give him a MD wildcard if he didn't play much tennis in 2007.

·
Same as it ever was
20,587 Posts
You've got to be joking?

Mark doesn't deserve a free ride, he had too many already.

Playing this playoff isn't what destroyed his career... and if he injured himself again at the playoffs, I'm willing to bet that he would have still injured himself during the Open if he'd been handed a WC

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Exactly...what's to say he won't get injured in the tournament, where the competition (supposedly) is stronger?

And yes, he got too many free passes and the ones he got he didn't take it with open arms.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
He would have got injured at any tournament he played. It was just waiting to happen. His knees are too weak to support the kind of weight and build he has.

It was for his own benefit that he played the playoff, otherwise he would have lacked match practice and been way too rusty at the AO.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Even i can say this is a bit of a silly thread.

Tiley is a dick, but he had nothing to do with Mark's poor fitness and knee injury. Mark's passion for tennis ended in 2004, and his career ended in January this year after his 4th knee surgery on his "good knee".

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
His knees just can't handle the game, if it can't get through 2 best of 3 set matches, he won't survive the aussie open. I hope he retires now, it's very sad but it just not worth it anymore.

·
Premium Member
24,603 Posts
I'm angry cause if it wasn't for Craig Tiley being such d*&# Mark wouldn't have played the stupid playoff. Tennis Australia has killed one of their biggest stars.
I hope you're joking. What is to say he wouldn't have retired with this same injury in a 3rd set in Adelaide, Sydney or Australian Open? :shrug:

It sounds like the knee was a "ticking timebomb."

·
Registered
17,866 Posts
Craig Tiley didn't help Mark gain all that weight did he? As stated above, seems like that injury would have happened no matter where Mark stepped on court so blaming Tiley is silly. Blame Mark, and only Mark.

If he is serious about attempting to play again, then he has to lose weight before he gets on court again. He is top heavy and his knees cannot support him.

Reactions: OZTENNIS

·
Registered
535 Posts
Hell no!! Craig Tiley is the saviour of Australian tennis! To say he destroyed Philippoussis' career is nonsense! Even Philippoussis fans can see that...

He needed to play the playoff for more than one reason;
1) To prove he is (was) serious about a comeback
2) To be eligible for wildcards (which he shouldn't have gotten)
3) To gain vital match play, which he no doubt needed
4) To see where his fitness is at

So there is no way you can lay the blame on Tiley, I think that that is an outrageous and false accusation.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Not unless Tiley was piggybacking on Flip throughout the many times when he's done his knee in....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts