Mens Tennis Forums banner

How Much Did You Expect This? (5 Low - 1 High)

• Surprised (5)

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • Unexpected (4)

Votes: 13 34.2%
  • Expected (3)

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • Very Expected (2)

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • NID (1)

Votes: 5 13.2%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
23,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just wondering because I don't even remember his name much being said last year about his potential to be a Top 50 player, nevertheless a Top 20 player. Last year, I thought he was just a regular journeyman and such. He did have a final at Chennai 2013 though but who knew about this consistency, and performance. Then came around the RBA saga against Gulbis I think and that is where I most heard about him. The big impact came against Del Potro on AO where many from the comments actually said he controlled the points. After that he had a good run in Marseille (l. Gulbis), beat Berdych again in IW (l. Gulbis later on), reached a Masters Semi in Madrid (l. Nadal) then won the Topshelf Open then now in Stuttgart.

He rarely loses to players he should be able to win (only real bad loss was his first match actually this year in Chennai again Alexander Kudryavtsev (#270) and I guess in the Davis Cup (lost both rubbers against Brands and Kohli, although the latter probably still has that edge). Maybe even Rome against Tursunov. Other than that most of the defeats have been Top 10 players this year (or had gotten that position), namely Isner, Djokovic, Nadal, Murray, etc. + Fognini. He seems to be reliable to depend upon and is now in the Top 20.

When was the first time you really heard about RBA's game and how surprised are you about his rise from #73 (after his bad loss on Chennai lost him so many points) to the Top 20 just this year?

·
23,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He has only 5 top 20 wins this year,so he is lucky with draws and he is consistent.
Not sure if he's lucky but he is sure maximizing the ranking he has the capability in terms of wins. If he's against a lower ranked player, it just seems to be that he wins it 90% of the time even if the player had a good streak that tournament. He also NIDly loses it seems to players that are really outclassing him particularly the Top 10.

·
Registered
8,304 Posts
Not sure if he's lucky but he is sure maximizing the ranking he has the capability in terms of wins. If he's against a lower ranked player, it just seems to be that he wins it 90% of the time even if the player had a good streak that tournament. He also NIDly loses it seems to players that are really outclassing him particularly the Top 10.
N18 is deserved ATM,but if he gets in top 15 with this kind of results it will be undeserved.
Like Raonic isn't real N6.

N6 Milos Raonic has only 3 top 20 wins this year. While N7 Ferrer has 8 top 20 wins.

·
23,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
N18 is deserved ATM,but if he gets in top 15 with this kind of results it will be undeserved.
Like Raonic isn't real N6.
Sorry, even if I dislike Raonic's game (although he seemed to be improving on it and was impressed by him during the Clay season), I predicted when he reached the Quarters on MC I think that he would become a Top 10 consistent player but probably not enough to break the Top 3. He did have a good streak of QFs from the big tourneys (his only pre-QF Masters exit this year was in Madrid I think and that was in R16 against Nishikori -- and of course, we know his form that tournament) and was QF in RG and SF in Wimbledon.

·
Registered
8,304 Posts
Sorry, even if I dislike Raonic's game (although he seemed to be improving on it and was impressed by him during the Clay season), I predicted when he reached the Quarters on MC I think that he would become a Top 10 consistent player but probably not enough to break the Top 3. He did have a good streak of QFs from the big tourneys (his only pre-QF Masters exit this year was in Madrid I think and that was in R16 against Nishikori -- and of course, we know his form that tournament) and was QF in RG and SF in Wimbledon.
I think Ferrer,Nishikori,Dimitrov and Gulbis are better players this year.

·
Registered
12,421 Posts
It's not particularly surprising, he has finally stayed fit for an extended period of time, and for 18 months now he's shown that he can mix it with the best. He's beaten Berdych twice, Fognini twice, Del Potro, Dimitrov, Simon, taken a set off Ferrer twice, and probably has many other good wins that I can't quite recall off the top of my head. His progression has been very steady, which is perhaps why it wasn't so noticeable.

I hate this notion that he can't trouble the top players. For the year or so that he was ranked around the 50s and 60s, I always thought of him as somebody who absolutely had the tools to beat top ten players. His forehand is a really potent weapon, and his counter-shots off of both wings are great. Exactly the things the likes of Berdych and Del Potro hate to see in their opponents.

He's 13th in the race, and I expect him to remain around there for the rest of the season. He should theoretically be at his best during the tournaments after the US Open, but he might be quite fatigued.

·
23,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think Ferrer,Nishikori,Dimitrov and Gulbis are better players this year.
Personally Ferrer have been sub-par except for the period from MC to RG. The latter, maybe I guess were more threatening to the big guys. Even then Raonic did have some good wins from what I remember although I think he has a sub-par record against the Top 10 this year?

·
Registered
8,304 Posts
Personally Ferrer have been sub-par except for the period from MC to RG. The latter, maybe I guess were more threatening to the big guys. Even then Raonic did have some good wins from what I remember although I think he has a sub-par record against the Top 10 this year?
Top 10 W/L

Raonic 1-5
Ferrer 2-4
Gulbis 5-5
Dimitrov 4-5
Nishikori 4-4

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
zzzzzz

I just fall asleep, I don't see it coming.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
No, but must admit when i saw him beating Delpo in Melbourne i was really looking great game from RBA- didn´t knew him much back than, knew that he is not young guy, but with that game was surprised he is not higher ranked. Than when he beat Berdych in IW i was sure he will have great season, but top 20 probably not, maybe around 30 i thought

·
Registered
683 Posts
I first saw RBA when he played Ferrer at Wimbledon last year and then again at the US Open. I was impressed then - he made things very difficult for Ferrer and was playing at a level much higher than his ranking. I thought with his game that he should be higher ranked, but wasn't expecting his rise to be so quick - at Wimbledon last year he was ranked 60.

Time will tell but I do think he has the potential to be a top 10 player - he returns very well and his flat groundstrokes work even better on hard courts than clay. Nice netgame too.

·
Your visions will happen
47,134 Posts
Not at all.

Incredible run

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
I didn't see it coming in a gazillion years. Once MTF's most unbiased analyzer voiced his opinion on the Spaniard, I could have sworn his career was done for.

Bautista-Agut really, really, really, really, really sucks.

·
Registered
27,181 Posts
ClutchonAndWin sees everything by default.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
I always thought he had the potential, he is a late bloomer but underrated and under appreciated, his strong season this year has been earned and he deserves top 20 status.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts