Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever thought djokovic would win 7 slams??

I always thought he was talented... But never in my dreams did i think djokovic would be a 7 time
Slam winner. All the credit to djokovic!

·
Banned
5,740 Posts

I always thought he was talented... But never in my dreams did i think djokovic would be a 7 time
The first time I saw him play in person was during the Indian Wells 2007 Final against Rafa and I clearly remember in the post match interview how Nole said he wanted to be number one. At the moment I thought he was good enough to be a Top 5 player and maybe do well in slams, but he progressed so much until the end of the year that I was convinced he would be a multiple Slam winner and a legitimate contender on every surface!

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Yes. I predicted 9 when I saw him during the 2011 season. Yes. Me. I did.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Well, in 2008 when he won the AO he looked GOOD. It was already his second slam final at a very young age.

I thought him and Nadal would dominate the next generation. I didn't think he'd win nothing else till the AO in 2011 for one thing. Sure, Federer was great on HC and Nadal then began entering his peak, but Djokovic should have been more competitive in those years. More so than the gluten stuff, I think it was a mental issue. He just used to give up SO easily, and seemed happy as the nice guy who tried to please the crowd and finish 3rd every year.

After 2011, I actually thought he'd have reached double figures by now cause he'd completely sussed Rafa out, and Murray was busy being an angry mug + Federer was way past his best, but Nadal found a way to beat him again + he somehow began losing to Murray in the big matches ? I mean, don't get me wrong, I was fucking delighted Andy won Wimbledon (he's the better player on grass), but that USO was the biggest cartoon performance I've ever seen from an elite player.

After his back to back slam finals in 07/08 (incredibly high level of tennis might I add)I thought he'd clean up HC slams while NAdal would clean up the channel slams year after from like 09/10 onwards.
He's had a very peculiar career to be honest, but 07/08, he showed he could be a multiple slam winner for sure. Well, infact both him and Nadal have had quite peculiar careers in terms of how their slam count is distributed.

·
Administrator
6,075 Posts
Um, it kind of depends on when - I'd imagine it wouldn't exactly be such a bold prediction after 2011 or AO 2012 when he had 4/5 slams that he would win 7 eventually. From that point the real surprise is that it took him this long.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
The only people who failed to predict the implications of his meteoric rise in the rankings and his unleashing absolute hell off both wings were those who were drinking the spiked Fed Kool-aid.

LOL

·
Registered
21,284 Posts
Depends when exactly, when he won the AO in 2008, I knew he had the potential to win many slams, if he was keeping up with that level of play, however as you know, we've seen cases where players have one great run and then after that, they disappear. But at that point, I wouldn't have been surprised if he reached at this stage, however after the 2009/2010 season, nope, I didn't expect him to win 7 slams. I thought he didn't had it him. Especially after that 2010 season. However after that incredible 2011 season, he showed us the incredible tennis he can produce, so after that, yes I thought he would definitely win 7 slams.

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
I started supporting him back in 2005/06. There was something about him, I saw a huge potential. After he won Miami in 2007 I started thinking that he will win a major one day. Then Montreal happened where he def. Roddick, Nadal and Federer (#1, 2 and 3) and it was clear at that moment that Djokovic is very special.

The term 'big three' was actually used for the first time on MTF after his win in Montreal. The media adopted that term. Nole was only 20yo. He played hist first GS final against Fed back in 2007 and he chocked badly but he was very green. Then he won his first major at the AO08, which I still believe is his very best performance at any majors he played.

Unfortunately, he wasted 2 years of his career (2009/2010) by changing his racquet and Todd Martin tried to change his service motion. Todd Martin should be criminally charged for that disaster. Nole's serve that used to be a big weapon simply disappeared in 2009/10. He was making 'hundreds' of DF per match. It was painful to watch his matches.

However, the beast woke up in 2011. They figured out finally that he was allergic to gluten and the rest is history. I usually try not to use 'should've, would've, could've' phrase but Djokovic should have at least 10 majors in his pocket by now. Unfortunately, 2009/10 was a complete waste in his career and he'll never get back those two years.

·
Registered
17,365 Posts
I originally predicted six max (back in 2007/2008)

Something like 3 U.S. Opens, 2 RGs and an Australian Open. No Wimbledons :tape:

·
Banned
9,577 Posts
The term 'big three' was actually used for the first time on MTF after his win in Montreal. The media adopted that term. Nole was only 20yo.
Tells you everything about that era when the "BIG 3" consisted of a 21 year old 'Dall and a 20 year old Djoke. :superlol:

really laughable

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
I originally predicted six max (back in 2007/2008)

Something like 3 U.S. Opens, 2 RGs and an Australian Open. No Wimbledons :tape:
I'm with you Mimic here. Although Djokovic reached his first semis at Wimbledon back in 2007 I didn't not expect him to ever win it. Well, I'm glad that he proved us all wrong :).

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Well,If it was 6-7 years but after 2011 most people would have expected him to reach 7,or even more at this point

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I surely expected hi to win a lot, around 6-7 yes. The one who completely surprised me is more Nadal. By the beginning of 2008 I thought he would never be #1, precisely because of the rise of Djokovic. On the other hand I didn't expect such a drought in new talents after Novak and Andy, so I imagined he would probably be done by now.

·
Registered
27,181 Posts

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
:worship:
YO! Doh! Bwaaaain!

He had 4 grandslams by the end of 2011. I saw 9 mid-way through the 2011 season, where he was still on 3. So, um, I think 9 was still quite a brave prediction. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,858 Posts

Yes he is a great player, and were it not for an even greater player. Djokovic would have at least 11 slams by now. But he is playing in the strongest era in tennis history. Where on any given day an underdog can play a freak one off match and beat one of the top four.

As well as the top four being so competitive. So yes to win a slam now is much harder than it was ten years ago. when Federer had open season on a bunch has beans and sub par peers.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I'm more surprised that he's won 2 Wimbledons than i am that he won 7 slams.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts