Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honestly, RG final, and tbh most of the clay season was a shitfest of errors and chokes and muggery - first time ever the men's final was worse than the women's.

BUT - watching brown today was EPIC, how can anybody not like that?! Slam dunks and smashes, return winners, drop volleys drop shots blazing winners... People in every sport - football F1, or music lets say violinists or pianists, people pay to see PEAK virtuoso performances.

So did anybody here seriously prefer the RG final to Brown vs Nadal??

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fedtard clowns, I am sure preferred a meaningless match in a 250.
The event does not matter, the performance does.

Would you prefer watching a WTA masters/ grand slam or an ATP 250? The ATP 250 right, because of QUALITY.

This "meaningless" 250 match was of higher quality than the RG final. And so for the same reason people on MTF prefer the ATP to the WTA I prefer quality and GOAT performances over shitfests regardless of status.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
I actually did not enjoy the FO but for a different reason. Rafa was holding his back and Nole was throwing up. It was just weird. There have been some good clay matches but that final was NOT a great match. It was not Nole and Rafa playing their best.

·
Registered
33,355 Posts
Not sure a match where one guy dominated from start to finish can be considered higher quality than one which was 50/50 for a set and a half and remained quite competetive throughout with lots of break chances etc. Sure neither of them played a high level of Tennis but there was some drama, unlike this Halle match.

·
Banned
1,570 Posts
Honestly, RG final, and tbh most of the clay season was a shitfest of errors and chokes and muggery - first time ever the men's final was worse than the women's.

BUT - watching brown today was EPIC, how can anybody not like that?! Slam dunks and smashes, return winners, drop volleys drop shots blazing winners... People in every sport - football F1, or music lets say violinists or pianists, people pay to see PEAK virtuoso performances.

Brown plays like 5 BO3 matches per yest, so he can prepare the mstch of his life in one of the arest surfaces available today. Put brown in RG and he would get killed in first round. Rafa has a huge load of matches plus heavy syrface transition in only 3 days. What was doing brown during the year ? Didnt hear about him until now...

·
Registered
13,139 Posts
No I actually prefer the final of a local seniors event, much more enthralling tennis.

Actually, I prefer to drive hot daggers into my eyes.

Nadal loses and the trolls are on parade but, the only loss of significance will be at the All England Lawn and Tennis Club, if he doesn't lose there these threads are as good as toilet paper.

·
Super Moderator
8,200 Posts

Brown lost to Matosevic at RG because his game is very poor on clay. His best surface is without any doubt of this world grass, let´s see how he´ll fulfil the expectations, but his main problem is he has to defend for the first time pts at a Slam. Pressure destroys his game and finally him.

So the RG-final Brown vs Nadal would be even more boring than ´08, although this final was a very dull, too.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts

I didn't even watch the RG final. RG final = same old same old.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I did. Even though the FO was not the highest quality with both players not 100%, there were some real intense moments. Halle match was boring for me and it's not because my favorite lost. I personally don't enjoy serve and volley. 1-2 shots, point is over doesn't really create any intensity which I enjoy.

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
World No.1 vs World no.2 in slam final <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Mickey Mouse event's R2

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
another trolling thread. how are the mods allowing this is above me

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
I did. Even though the FO was not the highest quality with both players not 100%, there were some real intense moments. Halle match was boring for me and it's not because my favorite lost. I personally don't enjoy serve and volley. 1-2 shots, point is over doesn't really create any intensity which I enjoy.
I see more intensity in S&V than long rallies that are just pushing waiting for an UE from the opponent.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I see more intensity in S&V than long rallies that are just pushing waiting for an UE from the opponent.
I don't know your definition of pushing. I personally didn't see any pushing in the FO final. Both players were constructing each shot to create an opening and went for winners. I enjoy that process the build up to the end of the point. Serve and volley is over before I get excited but everyone is different. It's a personal perference.

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
I actually did not enjoy the FO but for a different reason. Rafa was holding his back and Nole was throwing up. It was just weird. There have been some good clay matches but that final was NOT a great match. It was not Nole and Rafa playing their best.
This. But still it was good for the first two sets.

I didn't even watch the Brown-Nadal match; so I can't say anything. But judging by scoreline, it was not competitive. So I would take first two sets of RG final over a non-competitive match.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
This. But still it was good for the first two sets.

I didn't even watch the Brown-Nadal match; so I can't say anything. But judging by scoreline, it was not competitive. So I would take first two sets of RG final over a non-competitive match.
Grass is like that. If someone gets hot, you never know. Rafa should have not played... like Nole. When will he learn that he could use two weeks break to get ready. He should be good enough to get into form for Wimby. I bet that German guy paid a lot of money for Rafa. I mean he was dreaming Rafa Roger final

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I'm conflicted personally. Let's not talk about the RG final and this match specifically because it's just turning into a fanboy pissing match like pretty much every thread on this forum.

Let's talk about clay tennis versus grass tennis generally speaking. Now the funny thing is that a large population here will tell you that there is court homogenization so surface doesn't matter blah blah blah. But of course, that is just a bunch of nonsense as shown today. A good grass court player soundly beat Rafa who clearly has not acclimated to the surface. It would have been a two set demolition by Rafa of Brown had it taken place on clay.

My 2 cents... both clay and grass tennis have their pros and cons. I personally enjoy the back and forth baseline dominant type of tennis. I like seeing defense turned into offense. I like the suspense of 20+ shot rallies. Guys say it's moon balling or waiting for errors, but those people really don't know anything about tennis. It's point construction and there's a lot more to it than just hitting the ball over the net and waiting for the other guy to F up.

With that said, fast points with a lot of rewarding net play like you see in grass tennis is sort of a cool change of pace. I don't like it as much as clay (it's a little too serve dominant), but I do think it's cool and I'm glad the surface is still around. I will tell you though grass court tennis was MUCH better back in the day of wooden rackets. Not even close really. So part of me gets sad when I see how different the game plays on this surface now. It's lost all of the cat and mouse that existed before guys could hit 100MPH forehands from 10 meters behind the baseline. You all should watch footage of Laver and those guys. It's much better than anything we get on grass today sadly. And not because Laver was better than today's top players. It's because the dynamics of the game have been turned on their head by advancing technology. It is what it is though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts