Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really do think that this is a highly likely scenario.

2-3 more RG titles for Nadal and 1 more elsewhere, probably US Open.

Federer to snag one last Wimbledon, or above scenario minus the US Open or 3rd RG.

It really would be fitting irony for so much debate over the years about who was or will go down as the better of the two.

That way it can be a never ending argument, Federer fans will show their 6 WTF titles card, their weeks at number 1 card, the qf/sf and final streaks, and the more balanced slam count, whilst Nadal fans will show the direct h2h, h2h vs all top 30, and the olympic gold medal.

Then we can endlessly debate forever. Sounds like a cruel fate.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
It'd prolly be healthiest for their bromance. They could call the future movie SlamBack Mountain Pt.2 (I can't). It'd make more money than Titanic from Fedal fans alone. Mimi could freshen up her sig.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Federer has 9 hard, 7 grass, 1 clay

Nadal has 9 clay, 3 hard, 2 grass

I think the fact that Rafa has at least 2 on each surface shows that he's already more balanced. Plus he won them by beating the best. If Rafa wins 1 more Wimbledon and 1 more US or AO, it will be no contest. At this point I'd say it's Federer who needs to add at least 1 more clay slam, especially since he didn't beat the best for the only one he got.

Plus Rafa won on all 3 surfaces in one year something that Federer never did. Again it shows how balanced Rafa's wins are.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Banned
1,570 Posts
What the hell is going on with predicions and IF? why cant we just sit and wait and see how they actually perform??

There is a chance they end up with similar slams, but there is more chances they dont, regardless of who wins more..

Anyways I think everybody is underrating the chances of rafa winning off clay, after all he has played 11 non slam finals and the last 2 non clay-slam finals (USO 2013 and AO 2014) he definitely could win 3+ non-clay slams.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
would be cool but Roger will probably always edge it

all time record in weeks at rank #1, record number of Master Cup / WTF's, Career slam, dominance of the sport for 3/4 straight years (and I mean DOMINANCE), just everything

I think Roger has far more records that will be beaten and that's why I think Nadal can't match him even if he gets like 20 slams

and I dig Nadal, my favorite player ever, it just is what it is. hard for Nadal to be in the GOAT discussion with Roger at all when lacking a few let alone ONE World Tours Final title and being behind so many others at weeks at #1

people are quick to forget a lot of the Federer records, or maybe they just don't care, I don't know

·
Registered
972 Posts

all time record in weeks at rank #1, record number of Master Cup / WTF's, Career slam, dominance of the sport for 3/4 straight years (and I mean DOMINANCE), just everything

I think Roger has far more records that will be beaten and that's why I think Nadal can't match him even if he gets like 20 slams

and I dig Nadal, my favorite player ever, it just is what it is. hard for Nadal to be in the GOAT discussion with Roger at all when lacking a few let alone ONE World Tours Final title and being behind so many others at weeks at #1

people are quick to forget a lot of the Federer records, or maybe they just don't care, I don't know
The way it'll work is numbers.

As long as Nadal reaches 17, and, say, 6-7 of those are non clay slams, he's in with as good a shout. A lot of Fed's records (slam final streaks, semi streaks) won't be touched. Neither will Nadal's FO streak, Masters titles etc for a long time, so there's different types of records.

He's done it with greater competition around throughout his career, will likely end up with 200 odd weeks at #1, which is no mean feat.

What Nadal needs to solidify his argument is 17/18 titles WITH the double career slam included. Get that, and possibly the Gold in 2016 olympics, and its a no contest at that point.

Some way to go yet, but he's done a lot of the business already. For now, Federer remains GOAT and rightly so. If Nadal adds a HC slam or two to the equation (especially if one is AO), and reaches 17, we gonna see what's goating on.

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
can't see anybody who should beat dull the next 5 years at rg. :shrug:

chokovic proved he's not able to. he had his chance at the semifinal last year. he choked.

fed was and will never be able to beat dull at rg.

murphy aka clayray?!

goatbis?! well, like soderking he has no fear, but can't see him winning 3 sets against dull with all his ups and downs.

and there aren't any young-guns who could challenge him. the new generation sucks big.

so no, dull will surpass fed, he doesn't even need to win titles outside rg to do that... :shrug:

·
Banned
1,570 Posts

Sadly for you, If rafa wins 18 he is the goat, even the fedturd rafa haters will tell you. Let alone tennis analists,etc.

18 slams and there is no argument left.

And rafa also has quite a few achievement that fed doesnt... Most m1000 (by a large shot), 10 years winning 1+ slams, 8 years reaching 2+ slam finals. 2+ slams on every surface. Golden Slam, etc.

Wether you prefer being completly dominant during 4 years span or being dominant for a 10 years span, depends on you. Rafa can Edge him at YE#1, specially if he adds his fourth in this year.....
HE will come quite close to Weeks at #1, of that you have to be sure..so It wont be a real advantage either. The only thing rafa will have on disadvantage will be the WTF, but if he manages to win 1-2 then there wont be much else where Fed could support his goatness vs the spaniard. If they are 17 there will be a big divide in the tennis world, also considering rafa won most slams on the hard way beating either Nole or Fed in the finals or earlier, compared to fed first 11/12 slams which were earned beating clowns and headcases like roddick, hewitt, ferrero, safin, nalbandian, philippousis and 35 years old agassi.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
The way it'll work is numbers.

As long as Nadal reaches 17, and, say, 6-7 of those are non clay slams, he's in with as good a shout. A lot of Fed's records (slam final streaks, semi streaks) won't be touched. Neither will Nadal's FO streak, Masters titles etc for a long time, so there's different types of records.

He's done it with greater competition around throughout his career, will likely end up with 200 odd weeks at #1, which is no mean feat.

What Nadal needs to solidify his argument is 17/18 titles WITH the double career slam included. Get that, and possibly the Gold in 2016 olympics, and its a no contest at that point.

Some way to go yet, but he's done a lot of the business already. For now, Federer remains GOAT and rightly so. If Nadal adds a HC slam or two to the equation (especially if one is AO), and reaches 17, we gonna see what's goating on.

The fact that Federer (as well as Djokovic and Murray) are Rafa's *****s with a total of 7-25 in slam meetings cannot be ignored either.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Neither can Nadals negative h2h with Davydenko.

Lucky Nabull, that Fed took him out so many times in slams, 2007 RG in particular. And Fed took out Nalbandian in 2006 who would have CRUSHED Nadal on clay that year.

Never ending luck this Nabull. I swear if he played the lottery he would win 10x by now.

·
Registered
24,699 Posts
Neither can Nadals negative h2h with Davydenko.

Lucky Nabull, that Fed took him out so many times in slams, 2007 RG in particular. And Fed took out Nalbandian in 2006 who would have CRUSHED Nadal on clay that year.

Never ending luck this Nabull. I swear if he played the lottery he would win 10x by now.
not always, rains disrupted his matches in wimby 2007 where he had to play 1 match in 3 days while Roger always got undisrupted by the rains :umbrella:

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
not always, rains disrupted his matches in wimby 2007 where he had to play 1 match in 3 days while Roger always got undisrupted by the rains :umbrella:
HaHaHass was also a walkover, making Fed's greatest challenger a fatigued Gasquet with less than 24 hours of rest after his 5 set QF. :mad:

·
Registered
24,699 Posts
HaHaHass was also a walkover, making Fed's greatest challenger a fatigued Gasquet with less than 24 hours of rest after his 5 set QF. :mad:
yeah, in addition, seems murray finished his match very late also due to rains in US Open 2008, while Roger got lucks again and not affected by the rains :umbrella:

·
Registered
42,421 Posts
It'd prolly be healthiest for their bromance. They could call the future movie SlamBack Mountain Pt.2 (I can't). It'd make more money than Titanic from Fedal fans alone. Mimi could freshen up her sig.
:spit: LOL but it would have to have a happy ending after all the drama with them riding into the sunset or smth...

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
And if he got Rodduck you would complain of that also.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts