Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, I def didn't see that coming. Esp after Shapo's very impressive runs in IW and then Miami.

They seemed to get along really well, and I really loved Shapo's skits with Rob on IG. He seemed to have added a lot to his game in the off-season, with the biggest difference being improving his serve. That clearly helped Shapo win a lot of matches this year, so pretty surprised result.

And now Rob is being replaced by Shapo's former coach from juniors, Adriano Fuorivia.

Here's the full article btw if anyone's curious:

https://tennis.life/2019/04/08/fuorivia-in-steckley-out-on-team-shapo/

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
Can't say I am very surprised. I wonder what the reason is, but to be honest Steckley felt like a placeholder to me. We'll see if Shapo's junior coach can fit in - top 20 ATP players and top juniors have quite different needs.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Hmmm I am surprised. They seemed to be getting along very well, and their personalities also appeared to be a good fit. I wonder if this has something to do with his mom? He seems unable to let go of her. She still travels with him and perhaps she and Rob weren't a good fit? I agree about the needs of a top ATP player versus the needs of an up and coming junior. Although, if he's good technically, his ideas and strategies should still be sound. Is it just me, or does Denis seem to flit from one coach to another? He's had 3 in the last year. Maybe it's more that he's looking for someone specific and hasn't found them yet?

I also agree with Drango that he's had pretty good results this year, and his serve is definitely back to what it was. I would hate to think his mom would start tinkering with it again. She made a huge mess of it last year.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Hmmm I am surprised. They seemed to be getting along very well, and their personalities also appeared to be a good fit. I wonder if this has something to do with his mom? He seems unable to let go of her. She still travels with him and perhaps she and Rob weren't a good fit? I agree about the needs of a top ATP player versus the needs of an up and coming junior. Although, if he's good technically, his ideas and strategies should still be sound. Is it just me, or does Denis seem to flit from one coach to another? He's had 3 in the last year. Maybe it's more that he's looking for someone specific and hasn't found them yet?

I also agree with Drango that he's had pretty good results this year, and his serve is definitely back to what it was. I would hate to think his mom would start tinkering with it again. She made a huge mess of it last year.
Exactly, it's his freaking mother he needs to split from, not his coach :banghead:

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
That seems like a big mistake to me, he did so well with Steckley.

And the usual nonsense on this thread about what his mother did to his serve! He changed his serve and it was bit unreliable at first but ultimately better.

Keep blaming his mother, know nothings!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Roxi; he said in interviews that his mother made the change to his serve. Then, he said he worked on it with Rob and it improved. I agree that he needs to move on from her. She seems to have too much control over him. But, that's his choice and his right. I'm not blaming her. But, I feel she has a lot of control over him. I could be wrong.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Can't say I am very surprised. I wonder what the reason is, but to be honest Steckley felt like a placeholder to me. We'll see if Shapo's junior coach can fit in - top 20 ATP players and top juniors have quite different needs.
I was surprised because Shapo has not done badly under Steckley. But as has been pointed out, he never really seemed like the right guy to nurture and develop a world class talent.
I'd also really like to know what went wrong. Not getting on with Denis? Or not getting on with Tessa?

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
Roxi; he said in interviews that his mother made the change to his serve. Then, he said he worked on it with Rob and it improved.
When did he say that? I'd love to listen to these interviews to have some context.

I was surprised because Shapo has not done badly under Steckley. But as has been pointed out, he never really seemed like the right guy to nurture and develop a world class talent.
I'd also really like to know what went wrong. Not getting on with Denis? Or not getting on with Tessa?
I doubt we'll ever find out the real reason. From what I could gather Steckley and Denis got along pretty well. Maybe even too well. Maybe a goofy coach/buddy, who uploads funny youtube videos, was not much of an authority for a 19 y.o. Or maybe this was never meant to be a long term thing, and they were waiting and hoping for Laurendeau's return, while the collab with Steckley was only temporary.
In any case, we really don't know how much of Shapo's recent success, or rather the rollback of the mess they made in 2018, can be attributed to him. Nor how much of the original mess was his mom's fault. The demonization is really getting out of hand. She's definitely an odd duck with her gloves, stuffed animals and just weird, even slightly creepy vibes she gives. And I'm sure she participates in black witchery decision making. But we have no idea in what role and to what extent. Without supporting evidence all speculations are just that.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I doubt we'll ever find out the real reason. From what I could gather Steckley and Denis got along pretty well. Maybe even too well. Maybe a goofy coach/buddy, who uploads funny youtube videos, was not much of an authority for a 19 y.o.
Interesting you should say that. I was listening to an old podcast about Federer the other day, and a not-dissimilar suggestion was made about him and Peter Lundgren.

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
Interesting you should say that. I was listening to an old podcast about Federer the other day, and a not-dissimilar suggestion was made about him and Peter Lundgren.
That's pretty common in many sports and in life in general. People are different though. What works for one, wouldn't necessarily work for others. Some need a friend and others need Toni Nadal. Obviously, at this point of his career Fed doesn't look for authorities. However, as a bratty kid perhaps that's what he had been missing during his "male Kournikova" days. Luckily, he met Mirka. :p

·
Registered
457 Posts
I doubt we'll ever find out the real reason. From what I could gather Steckley and Denis got along pretty well. Maybe even too well. Maybe a goofy coach/buddy, who uploads funny youtube videos, was not much of an authority for a 19 y.o. Or maybe this was never meant to be a long term thing, and they were waiting and hoping for Laurendeau's return, while the collab with Steckley was only temporary.
In any case, we really don't know how much of Shapo's recent success, or rather the rollback of the mess they made in 2018, can be attributed to him. Nor how much of the original mess was his mom's fault. The demonization is really getting out of hand. She's definitely an odd duck with her gloves, stuffed animals and just weird, even slightly creepy vibes she gives. And I'm sure she participates in black witchery decision making. But we have no idea in what role and to what extent. Without supporting evidence all speculations are just that.
The role of his mom is as you say something nobody here really knows anything about. She's extremely private and never gives interviews. But the sudden disappearance of Laurendeau (who had also done well), the mid-season service tweak (which coincided with ML's departure) and now the very sudden sacking of Steckley and re-hiring his junior coach surely are legit reasons for speculation. I can't see Fuorivia as anything but as another temporary move. It almost has to be because the reason they parted (on the best of terms) in 2016 was to take Denis to the "next level".

Maybe Shap is very particular. That's in a way a lot more likely than his mom firing coaches without his explicit approval.

I found this Steckley quote interesting:
This kid is one of the funniest kids I’ve ever met. I feel more comfortable when I’m around him because he brings out a side of me … I get to relax a little bit. But he’s a very serious kid when it comes to things he wants to work on, on and off court. We’re able to push each other,” Steckley said. “I’ve become a better coach, person, friend, videographer. He’s got great ideas. He’s not only a talented athlete he’s also a very talented creator.”
This to me gives the impression of almost idolising your adept, and also trying to act like a teenager when you're pushing 40. Not a great basis for a coach/player relationship.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I think people are reading way too much into his relationship with his mom. I've never had the feeling that she's a momzilla. As far as his serve goes, I think he changed it at the wrong time and now that he's gotten used to it it's become a weapon. He had time to work on it in the off season and now he's playing better.

It sounds like the change with Steckley was amicable. As for Laurendeau, he had back surgery last year and is still working with younger Canadians. I never had the feeling that he was permanent.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I didn't even realize Steckley and Šafářová had split and he was coaching Shapovalov. LOL.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I think people are reading way too much into his relationship with his mom. I've never had the feeling that she's a momzilla. As far as his serve goes, I think he changed it at the wrong time and now that he's gotten used to it it's become a weapon. He had time to work on it in the off season and now he's playing better.

It sounds like the change with Steckley was amicable. As for Laurendeau, he had back surgery last year and is still working with younger Canadians. I never had the feeling that he was permanent.
Is that so? I haven't seen any news regarding Laurendeau since the split. Not a peep.
My take on "momzilla" or not is irrelevant. I know nothing.
Maybe Tessa to Denis is like Toni is to Rafa. Someone you can trust implicitly.

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
Could not agree more.
Agree with that? There's a very long way from being eccentric to an overbearing monster you're portraying.

The role of his mom is as you say something nobody here really knows anything about. She's extremely private and never gives interviews. But the sudden disappearance of Laurendeau (who had also done well), the mid-season service tweak (which coincided with ML's departure) and now the very sudden sacking of Steckley and re-hiring his junior coach surely are legit reasons for speculation. I can't see Fuorivia as anything but as another temporary move. It almost has to be because the reason they parted (on the best of terms) in 2016 was to take Denis to the "next level".

Maybe Shap is very particular. That's in a way a lot more likely than his mom firing coaches without his explicit approval.
MT had health problems and couldn't travel anymore. I didn't get the impression he was hired for a short period. I mean... he left his DC captain spot... However, we don't really know what's going on in their camp. In general am not a huge fan of parents/relatives coaching. Such arrangements work for some families, but more often they fails and do a lot of collateral damage in the process. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that's the case here as well. But without any solid evidence, I think it's only fair to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. All these things could have a very innocent explanation. His serve change could be precautionary or caused by a niggle. The coaching situation could be a result of nobody on the team actually knowing what a top ATP player needs and thus going by trial and error. Their financials are not unlimited at this point either.

I found this Steckley quote interesting:

This to me gives the impression of almost idolising your adept, and also trying to act like a teenager when you're pushing 40. Not a great basis for a coach/player relationship.
Yeah, definitely in the spirit of things I heard him say in the past. That's why I struggled to take him seriously. Perhaps Shapo did too.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
When did I ever portray her as an overbearing monster? You're the one who said she was creepy. Good grief!

She's definitely an odd duck with her gloves, stuffed animals and just weird, even slightly creepy vibes she gives. And I'm sure she participates in black witchery decision making.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts