Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A proper beatdown.

Korda served for a 6-3 6-4 win, had his only blip of the match and gets broken after 2 MP's, but re-group, Norrie counter-choked with 2 DF's, and he served it out this time.

Didn't quite expected it.

Norrie is the type of player who gives youngsters problems, especially at first meeting. And Korda had previously not beaten a leftie at tour-level.

Then he comes out and waltzes all over Norrie.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Korda had no problems with Norrie whatsoever. Rendered Norrie's usually crafty play completely impotent. Korda also played more aggressively today with some big forehand winners. He was really on. Not a good matchup for Norrie at all. So far my bold prediction on Twitter from Jan 5 is looking good!

Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 9.01.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 9.01.28 PM.png

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
The savior of American tennis has declared himself and no. 1 and multiple grand slams are within reach. Remember where you heard it first.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Korda's had a great tournament. A lot of power and ease on both wings. If he can develop a proper 1st serve and a better slice he is top 10(maybe even top 5) material.

He didn't go to AO qualifiers, so is he participating in AO(his ranking after Delray beach should classify him, but I don't know when the cut-off for AO is/was)?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Korda's had a great tournament. A lot of power and ease on both wings. If he can develop a proper 1st serve and a better slice he is top 10(maybe even top 5) material.

He didn't go to AO qualifiers, so is he participating in AO(his ranking after Delray beach should classify him, but I don't know when the cut-off for AO is/was)?
On the official atp rankings, the number 1 seed for the AO qualifiers is Grégoire Barrère who is ranked 110 vs Korda ranked 119. The current official ranking would be the latest for cut-off, so no Korda does not make it on ranking. They may still have some last minute wild-cards, but I doubt it as players are due to start landing in Australia very soon, given they have to arrive two weeks in advance.

So, sadly, I think he misses the AO this year. Hopefully the French Open is on schedule this year and there are many chances for good tournaments between now and then.

·
Registered
17,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

They asked him about this in this or the last post-match interview, he said something about "sometimes you gotta risk it for the biscuits" or something.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
They asked him about this in this or the last post-match interview, he said something about "sometimes you gotta risk it for the biscuits" or something.
Unecessary to bring Donald Young's mom into this. ("Son of a biscuit!")

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
He was in the entry list for qualifying but pulled out when he got into the MD in Delray Beach. Daniel Elahi Galan and Ivo Karlovic did the same.

Nice quote. Korda taking his chances to move up the rankings and can play in the challenger tournaments which are on at the same time as the AO instead. He's on the entry lists for Istanbul and Quimper 1.

·
Registered
5,144 Posts
The savior of American tennis has declared himself and no. 1 and multiple grand slams are within reach. Remember where you heard it first.
Calm down. He's gonna be good for a while, but he has plenty of competition amongst the young guys.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts