• Phil in 3

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • Phil via retirement

Votes: 5 10.6%
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,603 Posts
Depends on Roddick's ankle/foot and hip, I guess.

Otherwise I'd expect him to win. Has an advantage in that Petz is mentally fragile, and a windy venue is likely to exacerbate that. Courts also not that quick, so Andy can push as much as he likes.

·
Premium Member
24,603 Posts
Another tank from Andy. Saving himself for the clay season.
Do you reckon he will target the Olympics or Washington later this year?

He'll struggle to earn many points over the next few months, and will come into the grass court season with a pretty low seeding...could struggle to challenge for the second week of Wimbledon off that.

Olympics at Wimbledon would be a nice experience for him considering his memories of SW19, but if he has any desire to climb back to a more respectable ranking you'd have to think that he should be playing Washington. Otherwise the rest of the season could be a struggle as well.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Petz in two sets. Roddick is awful lately, while Philip is not having a bad season overall.

·
Registered
20,932 Posts
Do you reckon he will target the Olympics or Washington later this year?

He'll struggle to earn many points over the next few months, and will come into the grass court season with a pretty low seeding...could struggle to challenge for the second week of Wimbledon off that.

Olympics at Wimbledon would be a nice experience for him considering his memories of SW19, but if he has any desire to climb back to a more respectable ranking you'd have to think that he should be playing Washington. Otherwise the rest of the season could be a struggle as well.
His schedule is pretty irrelevant at the moment. If he can't beat Istomin and Malisse it won't make a difference where he plays. If his form doesn't improve by Wimbledon he'll probably call it a day.

At least the Olympics are played on grass. But he has a history of choosing small American events over larger European tournaments.

·
Registered
20,212 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,603 Posts
His schedule is pretty irrelevant at the moment. If he can't beat Istomin and Malisse it won't make a difference where he plays. If his form doesn't improve by Wimbledon he'll probably call it a day.

At least the Olympics are played on grass. But he has a history of choosing small American events over larger European tournaments.
I'll be shocked if he doesn't retire at the US Open - in his home country, and the scene of the only Slam he won back in 2003. I think this season is too soon for him to quit, even if the next 5 months are barren. I'd be expecting US Open 2013.

Istomin and Malisse are seasoned pros, even if the latter is an embarrassment at the moment. It was asking a lot for him to beat either of them on a dodgy foot/ankle.

He should take a little time off to rehab his injuries, and try his luck late in the European clay court swing (play Nice and RG as a warm-up for the grass). If he can play injury-free for much of the rest of the season, he can still rank amongst the top 20-30.

The only 'top' American I'm expecting to retire this season is Blake, and surely at the US Open.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
There is a good chance of Roddick losing this one too. :eek:

·
Registered
10,330 Posts
Really tough to call, Petzschner is also pretty abysmal last two tournaments :eek:

·
Your visions will happen
49,952 Posts
Really tough to call, Petzschner is also pretty abysmal last two tournaments :eek:
Didn't stop Roddick from losing to Malisse :tape:

·
Registered
10,330 Posts

·
Registered
21,337 Posts
Petz in two. Melzer's great form will rub off on him when they... meet up.

·
Banned
95,412 Posts
World number 27 might sneak out a 1st round win here

·
Registered
20,212 Posts
I remember around 10 years ago Roddick asked about Agassi's long career replied something like "I can't see myself playing in his age. Sitting in front of TV, eating a hamburger and drinking a cola is better when you turn 30".

And he keeps his word, the question is "why he's still playing?". His peers Pim-Pim and Chucho have already retired.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts