Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Servebot pusher > little Yoshi
Should've been straight sets if Elk didn't muck up the breaker but then Nish handed him a timely break and that was it especially as Opelka stopped pushing as much and used his power.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Congratulations to Opelka on winning the championship match, despite winning only 35% of his own second service points – with a mere three double faults – and 28% of his opponent's. Truly a landmark feat in American and indeed world history.

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Congratulations to Opelka on winning the championship match, despite winning only 35% of his own second service points – with a mere three double faults – and 28% of his opponent's. Truly a landmark feat in American and indeed world history.
Elk broke 11 times this tournament btw. 1, 2, 2, 2, 4.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Meh Nishioka does win against servebots from time to time, will always be an uphill battle for him. Pun very well intended. Good week for him and Reilly, he finally climbs in to the top 50! Well overdue.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Good stuff.

·
Registered
21,633 Posts
So the Golem won another ATP title. Good, he will win many of this kind, but not many above this level...

·
Registered
897 Posts
New american giant beats new Nishi.
Better player today won. Is not impossible for Nishioka to beat these kind of opponents, he actually has quite a decent return... but nothing much. Opelka has his own weapon on his serve, but he also hit a couple of passing shots today and he approaches the net from time to time knowing his height allows him to hit swing volleys easily.

Awkwardly cute speech from Yoshi BTW.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
new and improved isner 2.0 with enhanced athleticism and ground game will win multiple m1000's in the post big 3 era.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I find it quite disheartening that a talented shotmaker like Nishioka has to bow out to the likes of Opelka.
Show some mercy and respect to Opelka, whose game isn't just about serves. He has powerful ground strokes. They are vastly erratic, but he can hit many winners when on. I like the way Opelka composed himself under pressure. He never got overexcited or overly negative under any sort of circumstances. He looks like a modest guy with a down-to-earth demeanor unlike some cocky Americans. Though my favorite player lost, I became more fond of Opelka. Honestly, I don't enjoy watching his game, but his personality seems quite likable, thus I will support him from now on unless he's playing against my fellow Japanese players.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Sad to see a tiny but talented shotmaker having to succumb to someone who doesn't even know where (or how) he's hitting the ball most of the time.

·
MONSOON season.
82,478 Posts
Show some mercy and respect to Opelka, whose game isn't just about serves. He has powerful ground strokes. They are vastly erratic, but he can hit many winners when on. I like the way Opelka composed himself under pressure. He never got overexcited or overly negative under any sort of circumstances. He looks like a modest guy with a down-to-earth demeanor unlike some cocky Americans. Though my favorite player lost, I became more fond of Opelka. Honestly, I don't enjoy watching his game, but his personality seems quite likable, thus I will support him from now on unless he's playing against my fellow Japanese players.
He has an atrocious attitude when losing. I daresay he is the prototype of a "cocky American." You presumably haven't seen him play much. You can search for some YouTube videos to see his pathetic attitude on display. But if you need evidence from this year's AO, here's a breakdown:

He also has a terribly ugly game when winning; when he's losing, it's probably the ugliest on tour.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts