Mens Tennis Forums banner

WWW?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two 20/21yo with relatively similar runs to their maiden Slam final, but very different result in the herculean task of ending Federer's reign in New York.

That said, I don't think it'd be as one-sided as their results in the final would suggest. del Potro in 4.

·
Registered
7,105 Posts
JMDP. He was relatively close in 2008 when he was far below the level he showed a year later.

·
Registered
6,420 Posts
Murray was robbed of a 2nd set break vs Federer, which coupled with his nation's expectations led to a mental block in slam finals.

Del Potro does not enlist the services of corrupt linesman and umpires, so this would be a tough battle like in Montreal.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Del Potro clearly. Much taller, much stronger fundamentals. It would be a total mismatch in the post, Del Potro could back him down all day. Further, Del Potro has a sneaky face up game, I wouldn't be surprised if he could hit Murray with a few solid drives to the top of the key or even baseline turn arounds.

I mean Murray likely has more solid ball handling and jump shooting skills. But in a one-on-one matchup, you just can't teach size.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Peak Delpo > Peak Push-Ray. Meanwhile peak Push-Ray never existed on Tennis court. So no debate is possible on this topic.

·
29,645 Posts
Del Potro's level at the 09 USO was a bit higher overall than Andy's in 08, so conventional wisdom would say him in 4- however his 5-set record isn't the best and if Murray dragged it to a fifth chances are he'd outlast the big man from Tandil.

So either Del Potro in 4 or Murray in 5.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Delpo in 3

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Murray has never really had any problems against Delpo so him in 4.
US Open 2008 QF, del Potro served to take it to 5 sets, and he was much better 12 months later...

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Andy won all their hard court matches in 2008 and 2009 (4 in all, including 2009 WTF when Delpo later beat Federer en route to the final) so I would pick Murray in 4.

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lenders creating this peak vs peak threads just to bash players he doesn't like :lol:
In what way does this thread 'bash' Murray?

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
Well since everyone should agree about del Potro being better in 2009 than in 2008, that means he would either win this hypothetical match-up or lose in an even closer way compared to 2008 (which is quite hard to imagine, since those 4 sets were as close as it gets).

I'd say del Potro in 4 tight sets.

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Murray 2008 was not great

Murray 2012/2013 though would triple bagel this tall freak 6-4 6-4 6-4
Murray was better in 2008 than in 2012 USO. Also in 2013 he got unsensationally routined by Wawrinka so yeah I wouldn't use that 'version' for a comparison...

·
Registered
248 Posts
Murray beat Del Potro routinely on hard court in 2009 what makes you think it would be different here? Poor match up for Pony.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Murray 2008 was not great

Murray 2012/2013 though would triple bagel this tall freak 6-4 6-4 6-4
Wow! Sign worthy piece of shit. :lol:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts