Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Your visions will happen
49,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anything to get back

Juan Martin Del Potro has had many injuries in his career and his knee issues gave him particular trouble and still do.

Despite that his desire to return to tennis is as strong as ever and now he travelled to Brazil to try out a novel treatment for his knee that has kept him sidelined for over 18 months. In a bid to return back to full fitness, the 32-year-old has travelled to Brazil to undergo a procedure called BMAC (Bone Marrow Aspirate Concentrate). The minimally invasive process involves collecting regenerative stem cells from a person’s body which is then injected into the affected area to aid recovery. Del Potro will have to return to Brazil in a few weeks time for new sessions.

The Argentine player was recently asked about his fight to come back where he said he is not yet at a stage where he is thinking retirement. He said:

“I have been fighting with my knee. It’s hard for me to come back, it’s a reality. I still stand by the desire to play again that I have, and I don’t think I have to close this stage (my career) yet."

Speaking about his future plans he said:

“I want to be at the Olympic Games, that makes me continue to be excited. Because of the damn pandemic, they will go to next year. I think it would be a prize to represent Argentina once again. That is why I am going to continue fighting.”

We wish him all the best of luck and hopefully tennis fans will see him again on the courts very soon.

·
Super Moderator
9,370 Posts
Didn’t Nadal do that stem cell therapy as well? Like three years ago?

Costy af and can be kinda risky if done wrongly btw but he for sure will have the cash for the best experts

·
justice for all
16,228 Posts
Poor chap has almost tried everything now.

Good luck to him, I mean I hope he gets back to playing his best level.

But sadly at this stage it looks more and more unlikely.

·
Banned
70,522 Posts
he should have tried this years ago, tbh

·
Registered
824 Posts
Good luck to him. He's sadly missed in this weak era.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
His resilience is incredible. It would be so nice to see him back but at the same time I wonder if he should give up for the sake of his long-term health.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Olympic games sound like a somewhat realistic target to me, in terms of timeframe/recovery. At least it gives him something to aim for.

Hope to see him back for another couple of seasons at least - his mental turmoil over these injuries must be quite something and he deserves a clean bill of health in the run to the end of his career as a tennis player.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
He could not recover in 18 months since he slipped on grass. Will he recover for Olympics, which is only 7 and a half months away? He should be showing up and playing in the events by now, if Tokyo Olympics is the goal.

·
Registered
17,892 Posts
Speaking about his future plans he said:

“I want to be at the Olympic Games, that makes me continue to be excited. Because of the damn pandemic, they will go to next year. I think it would be a prize to represent Argentina once again. That is why I am going to continue fighting.”
Another silver medal incoming? Who will be the victor then? Can't wait to see.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Well I see you are still salty about Djokovic losing to Delpo not only famously in Rio 16 R1, but also in the London 12 Bronze match

Just goes to show how important Olympics is

Without adding salt, we can also say that Del Potro is very good at "cleaning" a draw and arriving "cooked" in the last laps or even in the final. Fortunately Roger was there (US 2009, IW 2018) to "save" his career. :D

·
Registered
824 Posts
Well I see you are still salty about Djokovic losing to Delpo not only famously in Rio 16 R1, but also in the London 12 Bronze match

Just goes to show how important Olympics is
The fear of Olympictro is almost tangible as when he sees the Argentine flag he turns into a beast. Djoker's GOAT challenge is on the line at the Olympics - it's well understood by fans, tards and haters alike.

Reactions: Johnny Groove

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
when he sees the Argentine flag he turns into a beast.
Well, if his involvement was rightly hailed with the first Davis Cup for Argentina in 2016 (an anomaly imo to have waited so long after a long involvement and 4 finals lost 81-06-08-11), and solid players since Vilas, Clerc, Mancini via Jaite, Coria, Nalbandian and others, this has not always been the case, starting with his 1st year at the top in 2008, when he gave all the priority for the Masters and gets injured before the final against Spain.

Which will bring in some salty words from the very involved Nalbandian, him by Davis Cup, and maybe even more after that.

In addition, disagreements with the team, or the captain led him to sulk some selections, which also provoked unhappy "whispers" at that time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts