Registered
6,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
36 62 10-6 and win the doubles final of the Indianapolis tournament

Del Potro wins his first title in doubles instead of singles :cuckoo:

·
Occasional Visitor
52,208 Posts
Well I know JM doesn't usually play doubles, and only stepped in here at the last minute to replace someone who was ill. So I guess it is all good for him - some extra money, some match practice, and good experience of doubles, which may come in useful for Davis Cup matches in the future. And it might be his first ATP Main Tour title, but he has won plenty of others at Futures and Challenger level - including Segovia last year, where he beat both Verdasco and Becker on his way to the title.

·
Registered
17,866 Posts
This was an interesting match to watch (the Tennis Channel showed it on tape delay). I was impressed with Del Potro and his attempts at playing doubles like a doubles player. Apparently, he and Travis dealt with a bit of a language barrier this week, but JMDP did get into the I formation a few times and even won a few points with some impressive poaching and crossing. He was kind of shy and adorable in the on-court interview afterwards. Justin did most of it with Travis (who gave full credit to JMDP for a screaming forehand return winner down the line on an early break point in the second set), then gave the microphone to JMDP who said 'I don't speak very good English' then proceeded to speak a few sentences just fine, thanking everyone and saying that he hoped to come back again next year. I think he has just a few more fans after that match. I can see why he is so popular around here.

·
Registered
10,752 Posts
Oh excellent, mabye this win will help JMDP gain confidence in his singles, and we'll get another title soon:)

·
Registered
7,894 Posts
JuanDel :worship:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts