Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
16,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://www.nusport.nl/tennis/2739851/del-potro-kan-beter-worden-dan-djokovic.html

'At the Australian Open of 2010 I had the opportunity to grab the number one spot. And after that I also had little points to defend, but I got injured.'

'It was a very rough time for me. I doubted if I'd ever play tennis again, the doctors didn't know exactly what was wrong with my wrist. I sat back home, was very sad. I followed the tennis on tv and constantly thought when I saw my colleagues play: That should've been me up there.'

'My state of mind is a whole lot different now compared to what it was in 2010. I'm happy just to play tennis again. My wrist is ok, it's getting better every day. Sometimes it still hurts when it's very humid out there.'

'I'm closing in on my level of play in the past. In the future I hope to challenge the guys for world #1, but I still have a long way to go.'

'Novak is the deserving world #1, although Rafael Nadal is closer than he was in 2011. To challenge the #1 spot my game needs to improve a bit. I always need to play aggressive, that was how I was able to beat everyone, I proved that at the US Open in 2009. I just need a bit more time to make my game a 100%.'

'By losing a couple times against the top guys, I learn how to win against them. I know how to play against Novak. I lost to him at Roland Garros, but in the Davis Cup I beat him. He retired, but still. When I'm fully fit, I think and I hope that I can become better than Novak.'

Not feeling like translating the entire thing, just did the JMDP quotes.

What are your thoughts MTF, can and will he? I highly doubt it, but at least it's the right attitude from him.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Re: Del Potro: 'I can become better than Djokovic'

I agree too, he has better serve and forehand, he has to drastically improve his movement and he will be convincing No.1 after US Open 2013.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts

Del Potro will never win a slam again. He can't even take a set off poor serving Olderer.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts

This is guy has all the tools remember he made the IW SF after just coming back taking sets off Djokovic and Nadal in GS last year. He was so close to beating Rafa on clay. He will be a 5-6 time GS champion by the time he hangs the racquet up.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts

Maybe in h2h meetings when he's peak, but not in consistency and therefore rankings.

·
Registered
12,644 Posts

hey DP, go for it. I doubt you can def. Nole but who knows. I'm happy that DP is positive etc. I'm still not sure he can actually do it.

·
Banned
5,509 Posts

Even though I'm a Delpo fan, I do not think so he can become that good. At least not that consistently. He has the game on a good day but Juan is too tall to have a an entire great year.
I don't like these comments, just a good reason for haters to attack.

·
Registered
20,715 Posts

Fed's influence on Delpo is more and more visible :lol: . Keep it up Delpo

·
Registered
533 Posts

He can be, but will he? Unfortunately the injury wrecked his rise to No. 1 (I'm pretty sure he would have gotten there, or at least gotten really close, if he kept up his 2009 form into 2010). He needs to believe in himself to do well, though. That's why he lost to Federer at the AO, because he thought he couldn't win the whole thing at the beginning of the Slam. I think with this attitude he will rise into the 5-8 ranking range pretty quickly and start bringing some excitement to the QF's stage of Grand Slams and big tourneys again. We might not see a Big 4 SF at RG again if Pony, Berdych, and Tsonga really take it to the Big 4 in the QF's. Exciting stuff!!

·
Your visions will happen
48,513 Posts

First it was Federer destroying the field and Nadal stood up and said "I will chase him down." And he did, and became #1.

Then Roger got it back, then Rafa got it back again. Then it was Djokovic who stood up and said: "I will chase them both down". And so he did, and he is #1.

Now Del Potro is saying he can be better than Djokovic. He has all the tools, to me, whether he can sustain himself physically for a 4-5-6 hour match with the likes of Nadal or Djokovic remains the question.

·
Registered
7,805 Posts

Delpo is 100% right. He knows how to play. He got the tools. It's all about the execution + staying healthy

·
Registered
533 Posts

Pony should work on his H2H's with Murray and Djokovic this year. Those two H2H's are the most disappointing from my viewpoint as a Pony fan.

·
Registered
21,336 Posts

His performance against Fed casts doubt.

·
Banned
5,509 Posts

I would say Juan will become top 5 one day again, but doubt he can be better or get to the level he was in 09. Hope I'm wrong though.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts

I wonder who would win 2009 Del Potro or Today's Djokovic ?!?!?!?

1 - 20 of 162 Posts