Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Argentinian tennis player, Juan Martin del Potro, was left devastated by a record breaking defeat to Roger Federer in the Olympic men’s singles semi-final, played at Wimbledon.

Del Potro took Federer, who recently clinched the Wimbledon title, to three sets, eventually losing 3-6, 7-6, 19-17 to the Swiss player in a match which lasted an astonishing 4 hours and 26 minutes.

Following the match, which was the longest recorded three-set match in the history of men’s tennis, 23-year-old Del Potro was clearly heartbroken.

"It is tough to speak now; I feel sad, but Roger made a fantastic match. He is a good winner. When you lose, you can't see the good things. I just hope I will be better before my mixed doubles match," he said.

In terms of singles tennis, Del Potro and fans of tennis betting will now turn their attentions to the US Open, which begins at Flushing Meadows on 27th August.

Del Potro won the event in 2009, defeating Federer in the final, but his form in Grand Slam tennis has dipped since then, and he has failed to advance beyond the Quarter Finals at any Grand Slam tournament in the last three years.

In 2011, Del Potro was defeated in the third round by French outsider, Gilles Simon, but his performance in the London Olympics will no doubt give him a confidence boost ahead of this years’ event.

Whilst it is hard to look beyond Federer, Djokovic, and Murray for a winner in this year’s US Open, Del Potro could certainly cause an upset or two, and it wouldn’t come as a surprise to see him reverse recent trends and make it into the semi-finals, at least.

The US Open 2012 Tennis Betting page on Betfair has more information on the competitors entering this year’s Major.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts