Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Cilic 14

Votes: 4 20.0%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who had the higher/better level at the USO?

Both of them had to beat a member of the big 3 in order to win the GS(in Del Potro 's case he beat two). Though I doubt Nadal in late 09 was that good. Probably his worst form ever then.

·
Premium Member
12,007 Posts
Why not add a poll???

I'm biased , but also unbiased, Del Potro 2009 was way better.

Federer US Open 2009 was actually really good. He was playing very well the whole tournament and its a testament to Del Potro's level that he won the match in five sets. People complain about Nadal's level , but then they disregard how good Del Potro was playing on that day. Nadal was far from "Bad" , but just couldn't do anything against Del Potro.

He has done that before vs. Nadal at Beijing 2013 , where Nadal wasn't playing bad , but Del Potro was just blasting him off the court and dominating the rallies.

And I will repeat , Federer was in fantastic form in US Open 2009 and would have beaten anyone else on that day not named Del Potro. I admit Cilic was in fine form in 2014, but he didn't have to play a near peak level Federer or Nadal. He played net rushing Federer and Glassikori in the finals.

Reactions: hammett

·
Moderator | PreviewBot
12,752 Posts
"Insert drugs related opinion that would get me in trouble"

Reactions: Budadiii

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why not add a poll???

I'm biased , but also unbiased, Del Potro 2009 was way better.

Federer US Open 2009 was actually really good. He was playing very well the whole tournament and its a testament to Del Potro's level that he won the match in five sets. People complain about Nadal's level , but then they disregard how good Del Potro was playing on that day. Nadal was far from "Bad" , but just couldn't do anything against Del Potro.

He has done that before vs. Nadal at Beijing 2013 , where Nadal wasn't playing bad , but Del Potro was just blasting him off the court and dominating the rallies.

And I will repeat , Federer was in fantastic form in US Open 2009 and would have beaten anyone else on that day not named Del Potro. I admit Cilic was in fine form in 2014, but he didn't have to play a near peak level Federer or Nadal. He played net rushing Federer and Glassikori in the finals.
Done I've added a poll. I forgot to do so.
I agree Del Potro was overall better in 09, he managed to carry his USO form onto the WTF as well. Cilic just randomly peaked for the tournament and went missing after that.

·
Registered
20,921 Posts
Another pick-ems.

I won't pretend like I know

But, Cilic seemed a little more complete to me.

And without showing really any kind of nerves throughout the championships, I'm not sure he'd lose to many players in hypothetical match-ups. Then again, many failed in getting him into tighter situations.

Reactions: BodyServe

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Cilic was on fire in 2014, but Del Potro. That forehand was unreal.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Del Potro for sure as he absolutely obliterated Dull granted Dull was in bad form but nonetheless huge at a grand slam especially. He also beat prime Federer who was playing pretty well throughout the tournament and let’s not forget the unforgettable tweeter against Novak in the semis. Cilic was strong but Federer was out of prime and played like dildo and Bendikori did what he does best in the final.

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
If you add that Cilic has been DP's pet ( 11-2 ) owned him before and after USO 14' and even beat him during his USO 09' tittle.

Besides 09' Fed was a great deal better than 14'. Remember he had won 5 USO in a row. It was something unimaginable. Someone outsider to Fed - Rafa. Also Delpo established himself that year , came close to ruin Fed lone RG.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts